Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Tournys? (re-post, NOW WITH QUOTES!)

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tournys? (re-post, NOW WITH QUOTES!)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Below is an exact re-post of one I had in this section and the suggestion box. This month I'm going to be making a dungeon based on these rules below. Give out suggestions, ideas, etc.

I'm going to post this in Campaign invitations as well, there is no prize for participating but I think it would be fun to get at least two teams of four trying to beat eachother for the best dungeon run.

I'm going to be making the characters so I know there are no cheaters, and each has a weakness and strength. This way team-play will be vital to survival and I should have at least one of each class for 3.5 up.

ANYBODY is welcome. Considering out of the 8 I would like at minimum I've got 1. So yeah...

Why aren't there any tournaments hosted here? Like a role playing encounter someone (a mod) has set up and is prepared to run for teams of 4-6 people who try to survive and efficiently defeat the encounter better then the other teams for prizes and such. The teams would all run through the same encounter (on different days probably) trying to get points for their group. The characters would be generated with / by the DM / moderator (to ensure no one cheated) and then pushed into the adventure. No towns, or RPing, just straight gaming. If you wanted too you could even drag it out. Make it three or four encounters, each group runs through the first one, their points get posted somewhere, the other groups know how much better they have to try and be to best the other teams. Just spitballing though...

The winning team would be determined on things like...

Rounds to defeat big nasty monster(s) - For every round less then it took the team that took the most time is one point. (should only be used on a boss creature)

Activated Trap(s) - For every point of damage caused by a trap is a negative point. If no traps were set off then it's +x points x being the number of total traps in the encounter.

Money Earned - For every 100 GP at the end of the encounter the party gains another point.

Deaths - -8 points per death.

Players - Going in with a shorthanded group (E.X. taking 2 players through a 4 person encounter) could be worth +8 to 10 points. (doesn't count if a PC dies)

Character Creation - Attributes should get anywhere from 28-32 points (depends on the MOD) but any point not used in Attributes can go straight to victory points at the end. Same as GP and attempting to buy equipment. So you could keep 400GP from character creation to have at the end for an extra 4 points.

again...I'm just spitballing it...

Also not expecting it to happen anytime soon since even if you win there wouldn't be much to give away since the site still has to recover from the record breaking day.

AAAND Not trying to point this at any genre / edition of a game either. Those above rules are pointed at D&D 3.5, but they could be tweaked.

I think this could be fun though, and on a site full of RPG gamers, with a chat room....I see potential.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Soft. Since you have said that this would run on P&PG using the chat, you should probably do so in a private room that only you and the people of that party of characters are in. This way, each group gets to see what takes place as they run their characters. Now, after all the groups have gone and the winner is decided, it would be cool if you could post this to a blog. That way everyone can see how each of the teams faired.

One question, will you chose the equipment, weapons and armor, or does the player get to do that? Was just look at the fact that if you do so, then everyone has the exact same gear with which to accomplish the goal.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, each character will have a GP assigned and the player may spend it during Char Gen as he/she wants. NOTE however that keeping GP from Char Gen is possible to add to your winning point total. Say a fighter has 700GP to spend on equipment he can spend 500 of it and keep the remaining 200 for an extra 2 points to his team at the end of the game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be a lot of fun to play in! I've seen similar tournaments going on at various conventions, but never managed to play in one, always a bit late getting the entry in.

I think some of them were pure tests of survival. Think Tomb of Horrors type dangers, if not more deadly, and basically the team to get the furthest into the dungeon is the winner.

The points system probably makes for a cleaner tournament since the time per team is easier to control. With the randomness of how players will approach deadly traps and encounters it may take some of them a long time to get finished off.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it would be too difficult to judge by time considering D&D is a turn based game so 6 seconds in game could mean a trip to the bathroom, or setting your noodles on the stove.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i might be interested, but could only participate via play-by-post. again, i'm willing to help out/run an arena combat version anytime, so long as it is play-by-post.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, this would be fun to partake in. The problem is that with all the talent available on the site, who do you try to join up with, so as to have the winning team?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Yes, this would be fun to partake in. The problem is that with all the talent available on the site, who do you try to join up with, so as to have the winning team?
    lol it'd be pretty hilarious if this got so out of hand to have All-Star teams, and Character Drafts. A Fantasy League of peoples characters would probably make me cry laughing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its the big leagues here. We'll use other forums and communities as farm leagues when we need to bring up another player or two to cover for injuries.

I do dread when free agency comes along and ruins the tournaments though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
    Its the big leagues here. We'll use other forums and communities as farm leagues when we need to bring up another player or two to cover for injuries.

I do dread when free agency comes along and ruins the tournaments though.

--- Merged from Double Post ---
    ****EDIT****

For participants you can make your own character that must fit these requirements.

• Level 10 MAX. For every level you make under 10 you earn 5 points. (So going in lv8 is an extra 10 pts)
    • 50,000 GP to spend. You may keep GP from Char Gen for points. (100GP = 1PT)
    • 35 Attribute Points. All attributes start at 8 and you can add 35 points to those totals using the Point Buy rules in the PHB 3.5. You must use at least 30 pts, but for every one you don't use you gain +5VP to the end tally.
    Character Generation Rule Edits
    • SRD Rules.
    • All psionic classes and races.
    • Warforged, Shifters, and Changelings are allowed.
    The Definitive Victory Points...thing.

• For every trap disarmed, or triggered intentionally with no DMG result is +1 VP. You cannot trigger a trap UNINTENTIONALLY, somehow manage to take no DMG (either by reflex or fortitude saves) and earn these points. This rule is set for people who will find a trap then set it off from a safe distance.
    • For every trap set off (Unintentionally) is a -1VP penalty. Weather it deals damage or not is insignificant to VP Tallys.
    • Every 100 GP is 1VP. You may keep GP from Character Generation to add to your VP total at the end. This means going in with less equipment then normal for a bonus to your VP tally.
    • Death is -10 VP. No matter what the circumstances. If an ally turns around and blasts you in the back of the skull with an enchanted arrow on accident it's still -10VP when it kills you.
    • Going in shorthanded by one player is +10VP. 3 is the bare minimum of allowed players.
    • Going in having used less attribute points in Char Gen then the alloted amount gains you +5 VP per point left over. You must use at least 30pts in Char Gen however.
    Last edited by Soft Serve; 06-21-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post