Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Does a spell with only Verbal components provoke AoO

Downloads
    Uploads

Does a spell with only Verbal components provoke AoO

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    If not, I just caused a TPK. If so, The demon needs to make a few concentration checks and take a few more hits (Might still be a TPK).

Please site your sources, thanks!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL! Sounds like it may not really make that much of a difference.

I prefer to say that since the casting is happening at the same time as the actions of everyone else, it would not provoke AoO. The thing that does come into play is that the time taken to cast the spell may allow for someone to make an attack that would disrupt the concentration of the caster upon a successful hit.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with cplmac

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It turns out that casting a spell provokes an attack of opportunity regardless of components. See table 8-2 of 3.5 players Handbook.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree - PHB is pretty clear - no matter what components, it still provokes an AoO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    PHB, pg 140 and 141:

Yes, it provokes an AoO if it is takes 1 standard action in casting time.
    No, quickened spell (pg. 141 and 98)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    unfortunately, while it would seem that someone speaking a few words of arcane gibble-gabble shouldn't provoke the same reaction, or even allow the same amount of reaction time as making mystical passes with the hands and fetching a material component... the rules do not distinguish. thus any spellcasting will provoke, unless that casting is quickened, a swift action or an immediate action, if i recall correctly.

however, that would be a perfectly legitimate house rule that would make sense.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could see (and understand) the sonic type spells being house ruled for no AoO. As long as there are no other spell components.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    I prefer to say that since the casting is happening at the same time as the actions of everyone else, it would not provoke AoO. The thing that does come into play is that the time taken to cast the spell may allow for someone to make an attack that would disrupt the concentration of the caster upon a successful hit.
    If we say "Concentration" is the reason why a Mage may provoke an AoO while casting, then I would say YES. Verbal Casting does provoke an AoO.

Let us use an analogy. You are Driving your Car in Heavy Fast Traffic. You can talk on your cellphone with a "free hands" (Verbal Components Only) or you could be "texting" (Somatic Components). Both take some of your attention from the road although not by the same amount.

But realize that in a DnD fight, the opponent is probably a pretty good, experience combatant, which means he will take advantage of any small opportunity that you give him. So by not having your FULL Attention on him, you are providing a possible opening.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    If we say "Concentration" is the reason why a Mage may provoke an AoO while casting, then I would say YES. Verbal Casting does provoke an AoO.

Let us use an analogy. You are Driving your Car in Heavy Fast Traffic. You can talk on your cellphone with a "free hands" (Verbal Components Only) or you could be "texting" (Somatic Components). Both take some of your attention from the road although not by the same amount.

But realize that in a DnD fight, the opponent is probably a pretty good, experience combatant, which means he will take advantage of any small opportunity that you give him. So by not having your FULL Attention on him, you are providing a possible opening.
    Great example. I think the somatic component of texting (driving with your knees) would be a standard or a full round action. The hands free would be more of a quicken spell to standard action.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dimthar is absolutely correct... You have to understand that for the same reasons initiating certain special manuevers (ie. trip, disarm, bull-rush) causes an attack of opportunity, so too will casting a spell, regardless of it's components...
    If your attention is drawn to anything else for a split second, the trained combatant can and will take advantage of your opening...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thread necro!
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Question (raising hand into air)

I based my answer on the combat initiative used in 2E. The casting time of the spell is used for the initiative roll. Since it is part of the combat round/turn, there is no AoO due to being in melee already. Does this hold true for 3.x also, or is the system different?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the system is different. in 3e, you cast a spell you provoke. period. there are ways around it: casting defensively (requires skill check), and using clever movement, and using feats or other class abilities to mask the fact that casting is taking place. otherwise a caster (or manifester) provokes an aoo.

the theory is that the caster or manifester is momentarily distracted while marshaling the powers needed. here's the link: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-26-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive