Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Everyone likes polls, so feel free to participate.

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top Secret. Love it, still play it when i can

4 8.33%
  • Top Secret. Love it, havent played in years

13 27.08%
  • Wow. What a blast from the past. Memories are coming back to me

12 25.00%
  • Havent played it. Always wanted to

6 12.50%
  • Havent played it. Never really interested. Not my thing

6 12.50%
  • Played it. Didnt care for it

3 6.25%
  • Played it. Ugh! Hated it

0 0%
  • Got stories. See below

0 0%
  • Stories? Cool. Cant wait to read some

3 6.25%
  • Thanks Thoth, now i have the urge to locate my material and peruse

1 2.08%
  • Friggin' Cool! I admit it. I'm a 'poll' junkie, and i need help

7 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still play Top Secret?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Anyone still play Top Secret?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anyone still play Top Secret?

I have some fond memories playing Top Secret, when i was young. I scored a pile books of said game last year, and now that my move is pretty much complete, and never mind that i will be moving to Texas soon to be with my childhood sweetheart, i look forward to playing said game, once again. In fact, i'm thinking of writing a few novels in the world of Top Secret, down the road, but that is a discussion for another day.

Here's a link to wiki to explain said game in more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Secret_(role-playing_game)

When searching for this link, i was pleasantly surprised to find that there are numerous fan-based site links still supporting said game. Cool.

So my question to everyone here on P&PG is: Who else had played said game? Enjoyed it? Still play it? Thoughts? Opinions?

Or has my old economics professor liked to end each and every class with: Questions, statements, protests, rebuttals, remarks?

Be sure to share stories from your adventures in Top Secret with the rest of us.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-12-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads

Love it!

I haven't DM'ed a game in ages. I'd like to, but there are a few factors holding me back - time and interest from players.

I remember one game where one of the players was so cheap, he'd count his bullets because he had to pay for them. It reminded me of that James Bond skit on SNL with Steve Martin as Bond.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recorded my last effort in this area... i think we were still using the same materials i had bought in high school.

http://www.incarna.net/iweb/host/kel...Sys/TopSecret/

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd read through this game a few years ago, but I was already enamored with Spycraft at the time. I like what I saw, but I thought Spycraft did it better. But then again I like d20 and that isn't a sentiment everyone shares.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I played it a couple of times and liked it. Convincing others to put down their Flaming Bastard Sword of Justice +5 and playing Top Secret just wasn't an easy task to accomplish.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never played it, never interested, but I do enjoy Thoth's poll's
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do aim to please.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had a friend that ran it from time to time several years ago. It was a nice break from our usual DnD game. We did some cool things. By the time we put it down we had our own secret base on our own private island with a yacht, helicopter, oodles of weapons and all kinds of cool stuff. We started out working for some government agency but eventually went into business for ourselves taking on whoever we wanted to suit our purposes. Pretty awesome. I was so used to playing DnD though that I kept wanting to cast divination spells when we got stumped and healing spells when we got all shot up. Never could get used to the idea of having to spend six months in intensive care after every mission!
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to resurrect an old post - but Top Secret was pretty much my favorite game system back in the day. I bought the original boxed set - and I still have the rules book somewhere buried in all my stuff, along with most of the original modules.

I stopped playing Top Secret when the rules were updated to the Top Secret/SI rules - I didn't care for the changes, and they guys I used to play with switched to it. As a result, I haven't played it since.

I'd actually be interested in playing - or maybe even putting together a Play by Post game of the original edition at some point...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of the SI rules myself... although moving was what pulled me from my Top Secret group.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Most of my friends didn't like the game but I sure did fun times.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep - I have a lot of good memories in that game.

I had an incident once that was just too weird. I'd been playing for several years - both as a player agent and the gamemaster, and every time I was a player, the thought never even occurred to me to equip a bullet proof / body armor vest - either over or under my clothes. And the true irony there was that most of the type of games we played tended on the paramilitary type.

Throughout the entire time I played the game, I was only grazed once or twice. I was never hit with a serious wound. And no - it wasn't all skill - lots of it was dumn luck. :P

Well, one day, we decided to play a game and the group I was with were guys I hadn't done a lot of playing with before. While we were equipping ourselves, I noticed they both had purchased body armor. I thought to myself "Wow - now that's a damn good idea - why haven't I ever thought of that before??" I picked up one and equipped it under my outer web gear.

Well... off we go. We infiltrate the compound and enter the warehouse building. We pop a couple guards with silenced weapons, and then I moved down a hallway - and some guard saw me and started shooting. I was hit once - in the chest. The hit was serious - and after the damage rolls, it probably would have killed me. But the body armor vest saved my character's life.

What are the odds of that?

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice to see my thread getting some action. I have some really fond memories of my spy/assassin-dying, LOL. Good times, each mission.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never got into Top Secret at all. I had it way back in the day, but never had any inclination to actually play it, nor did any of my friends. If it wasn't RQ or D&D in the late 70's early 80's, it was Gamma World or maybe even the odd game of Star Frontiers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Played a few times back in grade school- couldn't get into it. All I'd seen of secret agents at the time was Bond, and it didn't quite match (What bureau was Bond in? Well, all of them, right?). Percentile dice have also never been my favorite- 1d20 or 3d6 is about as granular as games need to be IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast