Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Colonial Gothic

Downloads
    Uploads

Colonial Gothic

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anyone here familiar with this?

The concept sounds awesome but I'm looking for anyone who may have played it or at least read the corebook before I try to procure myself a copy.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, never played, but the setting is one of my faves. In fact, in the last year I've begun to play Witch Hunter (a mediocre system imho) solely because it captures the whole Washington Irving-styled "Colonial Gothic" theme so well.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if anyone posts about this one.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, the reviews I found are ALL over the place, though there's apparently a normal version and a separate True20 version.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    Witch Hunter (a mediocre system imho) solely because it captures the whole Washington Irving-styled "Colonial Gothic" theme so well.
    My thoughts exactly though I sorta like the Witchhunter system. Its nWOD meets d20 in some sorta unholy marriage. There is a nifty magic system to in there somewhere
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 06-10-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    My thoughts exactly though I sorta like the Witchhunter system. Its nWOD meets d20 in some sorta unholy marriage. There is a nifty magic system to in there somewhere
    Agreed! Magic in Witch Hunter is praise-worthy. The part about the game that, as you say, is like nWOD is exactly the part that I find "mediocre". Changeling the Lost is another example, just going by personal taste, that to me has an amazing setting and a truly compelling character/adversary system, while also suffering from the larger nWOD mechanic that it incorporates. Nevertheless, I really like both games. They're both really fun to plan and GM.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems no one is responding, so I'm going to have to procure it and review it then :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Colonial Gothic is a game that my group has on the list to try. I hope this happens soon. I adore the time period, and see a ton of potential for a great horror game. The problem I am hearing though is that Colonial Gothic does not offer a viable way to play heroic characters. It seems you play very average people from what I have seen from character creation. Which is fine I guess, but I can see where boredom can creep in. Hopefully we will get to play CG soon, and I will share our experience with the game with everyone then.
    Swords Against the Outer Dark - Where Sword & Sorcery Gaming Meets Cthulhiana and Yog-Sothothery

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very tempted by this game.... Very tempted. As a colonial period re-enactor, I know the history inside and out, and have a good number of props I could use to add more flavour to the game. Thanks for pointing this one out, it will likely be another addition to my dust collecting books!

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's no "official" way to create heroic characters, but it's easy enough. All you have to do is build your characters on more points. Check out the section on villain creation, especially the table on p. 235.