Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: showthread_campaign in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: googlescript in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
GM's choice - whatever goes!
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: Any, really
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 4
Desired # of Players: 6
Game Location City: Weymouth
State: MA
Zip Code / Postal Code: 02189
Game Times Frequency: Biweekly
Days of Week: Monday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Thread: GM's choice - whatever goes!

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation GM's choice - whatever goes!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Due to attrition and professional success, our gaming group needs more members. We meet biweekly in Weymouth.

Currently we meet on Mondays, though that's flexible within weekdays.

We're just finishing a campaign and have started looking for more players. Collectively we're conversant with every major RPG. We're also individually nice, well-adjusted folk who want to play games as much as tell stories. We don't really have a system preference - its more "GM's choice".

The current plan is to start a DnD v3.5 game with me GMing. I'm a decent GM but we're always willing to have more GMs in the group and our next undertaking isn't set in stone. Certainly we'd consider just about anything, from crunchy 4e to light Savage Worlds, and we're not married to any genre either.

If you want a group to GM for then we may be it. If you want a group to play with and don't ever wear capes to games, then we could be a good fit for you.

Also, we're desperate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm interested. If you are still looking drop me a line. I don't even own a cape.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, we're full up - however, I'll send you a PM of someone in the area that was looking. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    UPDATE: We've once again lost a player, and are looking for at least one replacement.

Currently, we're playing DnDv3.5 with characters at 11th level. I'm GMing in a custom setting and have been since the game started at 3rd level, and intend to continuing doing so until everything explodes or there's a TPK. If I do say so myself, I've been doing a rather smashing job at it.

Here's what would make a good match for us:

1. We play biweekly on Thursdays. It's possible that we could make a switch to another weekday, but the frequency can't be increased.

2. We like well-adjusted people. We don't like crazy people. You know who you are.

3. You shouldn't be married to any genre or system (or edition ). Right now I think the next campaign is going to be either Heavy Gear or Ars Magica 5th. It could be Shadowrun 4th or Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game or Top Secret: SI or (fantasy PL7) Mutants and Masterminds or (supers PL12) Mutants and Masterminds. Or a few quick-and-dirty games using FATE or QAGS or Wu Shu. It's okay to have favorites or dislikes, but we're definitely dilettantes when it comes to deciding what campaign and system to undertake next.

4. Please bring a good sense of humor. I suppose this goes along with #2, but we're all aware that we're adults playing games and pushing miniatures around a map and pretending to be blasted with magical fire and marking damage on our sheets in pencil. It's difficult for us to take things too seriously. Our characters aren't played for gags (often), but there's no high drama in our RP either. We get our kicks from plot twists and timely quips a lot more than from the GM's efforts to work in personal character melodrama into a five-player/one-GM table. I'd like to say that we're skilled enough at RP to be able to handle having three or four heavy personal hooks per character, but we're not. Two is pretty much the upper bound on that.

If you're still with me, send a PM! Several folks replied to my initial post back in the day and I'd love to hear from them again.
    Last edited by mean_liar; 09-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, with time has come a need to re-seed. We're looking for one more player to join us. In the past two years, we have:

1. Finished the DnDv3.5 game with a TPK at level 15, brought on by players getting too big for their britches and devolving into a tremendous poo-storm of intra-party conflict eagerly exploited by their many enemies. The universe didn't end, but the characters sure as hell did.

2. Played a series of games, dilettante-style, meandering through one-offs of BASH, a faltering ADnD2e game run by one of our novice GMs that had some troubles and was mercifully killed for in- and out-of-game reasons, a run of Apocalypse World, and roughly six months of Goodman Games' Dungeon Crawl Classics... ended by the GM's move to teach in Vermont. That brings us to the present.

In the face of attrition, we're looking at gaining one (maybe two) additional players under the following conditions:

1. We're playing on Wednesday evenings, every other week, in Weymouth, MA, from 7-11pm.

2. We adore weirdos of the functional kind only.

3. I'm repeating #4 from above because it still holds:

Please bring a good sense of humor. I suppose this goes along with #2, but we're all aware that we're adults playing games and pushing miniatures around a map and pretending to be blasted with magical fire and marking damage on our sheets in pencil. It's difficult for us to take things too seriously. Our characters aren't played for gags (often), but there's no high drama in our RP either. We get our kicks from plot twists and timely quips a lot more than from the GM's efforts to work in personal character melodrama into a five-player/one-GM table. I'd like to say that we're skilled enough at RP to be able to handle having three or four heavy personal hooks per character, but we're not. Two is pretty much the upper bound on that.
    4. I'll add to that as well: only one of us, myself, is a strong minmaxer. I'm actually an insanely strong minmaxer and a good enough roleplayer that such mechanical acuity isn't obnoxious in its out-of-combat performance: still, when I perform up to my capabilities it's disruptive to the game. The players know it's fair to use the rules and play the game as a game, but they are also wising up to the fact that they don't like feeling short in the pants when the battle music starts regardless of fairness. Minmaxers are welcome, but you'll probably need to accept some handicapping to get along here. This is a new era for me, too; I've recently accepted that such highly-focused mechanical mastery isn't good for our gaming within the context of this group. I'll be running the next few games just to get me out of the playing loop, and that's good for everyone: I'm a great GM (really!) and won't be crapping all over the table with whatever PC monstrosity I would otherwise concoct. Please follow suit.

5. Our next game system is going to be Darker Dungeons (available at http://www.gratisgames.webspace.virg...%20Version.pdf ). It's a retro-clone of BECMI (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal) Dungeons and Dragons, as originally presented by Frank Menzter and revised by "Black the Blackball". It's basically an old-school feel with new-school mechanics: d20+mod for everything (rather than d100s, roll under this, roll over that, etc), feat mechanics to expand upon the simplicity of the mechanical backbone, a single comprehensive book, and some other fun stuff (non-random HPs, for example). I intend to run the game until we tire of it; this isn't a one-off. The last campaign I ran went for two-and-a-half years and is fondly missed, and I'm hoping to re-create that success.

6. In the future, the two choices we're discussing (the ones that were pushed aside for Darker Dungeons) is Ars Magica 5e, or Mutants and Masterminds in a non-superheroic setting (with me to shepherd the players into mechanical parity with each other). However, we're pretty much game for anything: this group has been together for four years and we've played DnD3e, ADnD2e, Apocalypse World, Fiasco, BASH, and Dungeon Crawl Classics, with narrow voting losses pushing aside Vampire: the Dark Ages, Heavy Gear, Twilight 2000, and Shadowrun 4e.... so while we skew to fantasy in execution, that's hardly our only interest.

Players that are experienced GMs are a plus, especially if you have a favorite system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We're looking for one more player again!

We're running in East Weymouth, every other week on Wednesdays. Currently under consideration for our next campaign are:

Apocalypse World;
    Ars Magica;
    Blood and Honor;
    Dungeon World;
    The Regiment - Colonial Marines;
    The Regiment

Players that can also GM are going to be a hot commodity: for this next campaign we want to pass around the talking stick a little, as I'm a bit burnt out from running all the time. Alternatively, players that want to GM a long-running game are equally as welcome, as are players that want to learn how to GM as those games (other than Ars Magica) are under consideration because they are all rather easy to play and run, as well as lend themselves to episodic play.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are any of your members able to get to Salem, MA on Fridays? My fiancée and I are interested in gaming too but due to lack of car cannot get to Weymouth.
    The Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on the matter. If any correspondence is attempted, the attemptor is liable to being tracked down and made to engage in RPGs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jame Rowe View Post
    Are any of your members able to get to Salem, MA on Fridays? My fiancée and I are interested in gaming too but due to lack of car cannot get to Weymouth.
    Unfortunately, that's an impossible sell: we're on the South Shore. The idea of going to the North Shore is not only just too far, it scares and intimidates us.