Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite Adventuring Environment. What's your preference?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Favorite adventuring environment. You can choose more than one.

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mountains

44 44.00%
  • Valleys

21 21.00%
  • Deserts

15 15.00%
  • Oceans

13 13.00%
  • Lakes

15 15.00%
  • Rivers

21 21.00%
  • Forests

54 54.00%
  • Hills

27 27.00%
  • Cities

38 38.00%
  • Towns

28 28.00%
  • Villages

23 23.00%
  • Underdark, caves, caverns, tunnels

43 43.00%
  • Jungle, rain forests

28 28.00%
  • Islands

23 23.00%
  • Other, for there is always an "other."

19 19.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Adventuring Environment. What's your preference?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Favorite Adventuring Environment. What's your preference?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Favorite Adventuring Environment. What's your preference?

There are so many, more than i will list, no doubt. So, what is everyone's favorite environment to adventure in?

Mine will forever be the Underdark. Heck, if i was a player character, i would adventure in the Underdark, for it holds the biggest mystery to me.

Some choices are: rain forest, forests, grass valleys, deserts, mountains, oceans, sky, space, dimensions, cities, towns, villages, and so on. See poll for a larger list.

Remember, be sure to list your reasons why? If you have a preference on seasons (hot, warm, cold, freezing, raining, dry, cloudy, foggy, etc.), be sure to mention it.

All rpgs are welcome. If you mention an alien environment, be sure to give us the details.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-07-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will admit it, I like it all! My favorite environment is the one that is currently challenging me either as a player or DM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cityscapes of all flavors, be they new or old, pristine or ruined, underground or floating through the clouds. Remote science/military facilities, colony ships gliding through the emptiness of space, and other instances of (semi-)permanent smatterings of people count. Also includes periphery, like mines and quarries and logging camps.

The why mainly centers around having scenery that begs to be used in a flashy manner. Chandeliers, for example, are meant for swinging from or dropping on opponents, not providing light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's probably easier to list what I don't like: waterborne adventures, airborne adventures, or anything that mixes fantasy and science fiction (spaceships, etc).

My favorite overall is probably the good old dungeon crawl where you never know what's lurking around the next corner or behind the next door, torch light illuminates only so much and hiding in the shadows can save your skin on more occassions than not.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The manner in which I GM dictates that I use and like them all, but I must admit I don’t really like adventures in the deserts or Oceans. The world I use is already basically all mapped out already. All the land masses with the mountains and valleys, rivers and forests, everything. And since I don’t railroad players anywhere, they can end up anywhere and that is what I would deal with. The real limiting factor would be where I start them. I try to kind of keep them in the area that is sort of already fleshed out. 90% of the world is not developed more than the barest minimums. The ten percent that I play in is roughed out, with some history and some plot line pre-developed. In this ten percent there are major NPC’s and cities to some extent. The rest of the world is quite nebulous. Since I am a planner, I don’t want to go where I don’t have enough material. I also have minimal real life experience in the desert or on the oceans. So, those two areas would probably be my least fun places to play, but I would go there if the characters went there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer outdoor adventures, or away from cities. A city to me is where the group goes back and recuperates, talks to NPC's, buys and sells equipment, etc. Outside the city walls is where adventure lies ...
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thoth you forgot one. Space! I'm not big on space RPG's but they have been around for a loooong time. (star wars for 1)

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro82 View Post
    Thoth you forgot one. Space! I'm not big on space RPG's but they have been around for a loooong time. (star wars for 1)
    Damn, you're right, Panthro82. Well, lucky i added my "other' option. If ever i get a chance to run you through a Traveller rpg(Star Wars, but shhh, it's a secret), i promise you, you will like space adventure. Perhaps one day we will meet up at a Con where i will be running a Traveller game.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not opposed to it. I loved playing Star Wars but I prefer to play evil characters in Star Wars games. I was a sith lord in the one I played in, but not many DM's want someone to be a sith Lord in a group of good players and Jedi. We worked together because I also hated the Sith Lord they were after. I thought I could be much more evil than him in his position(muwahahaha)

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro82 View Post
    I'm not opposed to it. I loved playing Star Wars but I prefer to play evil characters in Star Wars games. I was a sith lord in the one I played in, but not many DM's want someone to be a sith Lord in a group of good players and Jedi. We worked together because I also hated the Sith Lord they were after. I thought I could be much more evil than him in his position(muwahahaha)
    Playing Evil is always okay in my games. In fact, i encourage it. It's an alignment reserved for advanced players, afaic.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that sounds enjoyable. If you get this campaign together let me know. I am rusty on the star wars mechanics, but I think it would be alot of fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Urban.
    Competing interests and power bases, intrigue (political, religious, and commercial), a history, and secrets, all concentrated in one handy location.
    What's not to love?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    will always be a fan of dungeon-crawly locales. The mystery, the feeling of always being on your toes, and the danger. THis is just my style of play.

Deserts and frozen tundra are interesting for something different, but not a staple.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay -- all of the above.
    And for 'other', I'll include other planes of existence, including the elemental planes of shadow, Hell, Abyss, Astral, Ether, etc.
    I'll even include the icy vacuum of space, if provided sufficient support.

Above ground, below ground, in dark caverns below the sea -- they are all my favorite environments for adventure.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always liked forests as both the player and as DM.

As a player, I can be sure that there won't be a cavalry charge against the party.

As a DM, there are lots of places from which to launch an ambush against the party.

And I grew up in a very rural area - I loves me some forests.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast