Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: What happened today, a long time ago.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

What happened today, a long time ago.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Today would be a good day to remember your fathers and grandfathers, your uncles and those old guys who have a hard time hearing you. It was those old guys who fought for and gave their lives to secure the freedom of what has been billions of people so far.

Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, or as it was called, "Operation Overload", June 6th, 1944. My father got there the night before to help assure the landing on French soil was successful. The 82nd Airborne along with the 101st Airborne and the British 6th Airborne, dropped in on the German army to take over the roads and bridges so the German army could not bring more fighting soldiers and equipment to the front to kill the soldiers who were running onto the French beaches from small landing crafts into the face of machine gunners, mortar fire and heavy artillery. When all was over, about 10,000 men would be killed, wounded or missing.

Those were terrible days and we should not forget them lest they come again. Be vigilant. No more appeasing the aggressors. That is how Chamberlain assured the war happened. If you value your freedoms, thank a vet. If you want to keep them, get to know your politicians. Let them know you are watching.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Great thread, mrken. Thoth also throws out a salute of appreciation to all our military members on P&PG. You are appreciated.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My father, who served in Vietnam with the 101st Airborne, described the D-Day invasion in the most humorous and accurate terms that I have ever heard in my life:

The generals couldn't have found a plan that could go more perfectly wrong.

The events on that day didn't unfold exactly to plan, which is normal for any large military operation; but through the willpower of the soldiers involved, and a dose of good luck enough things did go well and the day was a success.

I can't imagine the Hell those days were for the men involved. The few that I've ever been lucky enough to meet have received nothing but my deep respect.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    My father, who served in Vietnam with the 101st Airborne, described the D-Day invasion in the most humorous and accurate terms that I have ever heard in my life:

The generals couldn't have found a plan that could go more perfectly wrong.

The events on that day didn't unfold exactly to plan, which is normal for any large military operation; but through the willpower of the soldiers involved, and a dose of good luck enough things did go well and the day was a success.

I can't imagine the Hell those days were for the men involved. The few that I've ever been lucky enough to meet have received nothing but my deep respect.
    Being a retired Navy vet, I could not agree more!

Windstar
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!