Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

One year later
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One year later

Downloads
    Uploads

One year later

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The 1st anniversary of 4e is tomorrow.

How many of us have been playing since it came out?

How have your impressions of the game changed since it was released, if at all?

Personally, I've been running a game since release, with an even mix of old friends and pickup players. We've been playing mostly weekly with April off; last Wednesday was our 33rd session, and the party just made Level 12.

DMing is even easier now- once I've got a plot in mind for a session, I can stat out the foes and skill challenges for the entire night in about 20 minutes using the Compendium, with no access to the rulebooks (this was about an hour without the Compendium).

Character generation is seeming a little more cookie-cutter than at release, and more classes available isn't helping really (it's just making the design paradigm for classes all that more apparent). It's good that the classes are so balanced, but I'm starting to get the itch for wanting to be able to play something a little more unique than a class that tosses around at-will 1[W], encounter 2[W] and daily 3[W], which is just about all of them.

It's good to have the missing classes back- Druid and Barbarian missing was weird, Bard missing was tragic. I was very glad to see Bard back, but the brand-new classes in PHB2 don't really seem necessary- I haven't quite wrapped my mind around how a Warden, Invoker, or Avenger would fit into a typical party, and Swordmage seems like an odd, gish-only-not-really class... Monk still being missing at this point is a little strange only from a traditional D&D standpoint, but as I've argued in another thread, I didn't really see what it was doing there in the first place, so I'm not really complaining that hard. And, having Monks be psionic is making me wonder what they're smoking down in Renton these days- now I'm never gonna get that image of Spock in a Gi out of my head...

Barring something dire coming up, I definitely see running this game for another year or so and getting the party through level 30. After that, I may run a new game a little less frequently, possibly experiment with some house rules, or maybe take some time off and run GURPS 4 or Champions 6 for a bit- who knows?

To quote Thoth-Amon,

"What share you?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

And many happy returns...

Its been one year since the release of 4e, and all i'm going to say is, i couldn't be happier with 3.x.
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe its time to revisit the 4e rules for me. I was so turned off initially and have not even looked at them since... now i'll hunt for a friend with a copy.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a reminder to hopefully keep this thread from going the way of so many other 4e threads -- please keep this thread on topic to the questions at hand. Let's not go through another rehash of the many 3e vs 4e threads. If your a staunch 3e only fan, this thread isn't the place to rehash that.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A year later, and I gotta say I'm sold. I really like what I've seen thus far and the only thing I really really miss about 3.5 were the templates for monsters...I know there are some in 4th but for my Ravenloft game I would like a more streamlined version on how to turn someone into a werewolf or vampire...(because that should be more than just a generic monster...its a monster that spreads it's curse). Anyway, back on track...I Love it...my party is just turning 11th level and doing pretty well...this next saturday will be their first round as paragon tiered pc's and I'm excited to see what they can do. I'll keep everyone posted via my blog or Gardens of Stone Social Group on here.

I agree that DMing is easier than ever, which is very very nice

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hehe...

Sorry Farcaster...had to make the jab....

I will say that the rules are indeed streamlined, and the stats available for the monster manual make dungeon running for the DM far easier than before...Its definitely a great edition for getting new players into the hobby....
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    grr, it did it to me twice. I posted while my internet was disconnected (randomly).

In REALLY short, I am impressed with the changes, and I am happy with where things have been and where they are going.

From a player's perspective, it is fun and a lot of hangups I had with older editions has been vastly improved. From a DM's perspective, things are easier. Not just time, but trying to set the difficulty and goal of a certain situation/encounter is much easier.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I'm definitely impressed with 4E. It's very well cross-balanced too. I don't think anything that's come out in PHB2, or Martial or Arcane Power has been "over-powered" or "better" than stuff at launch... that is to say, I haven't noticed any feature creep, only more options.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost a year of play, and yet as a DM I believe I've only scratched the surface of the new skill challenges system (though I've taken to thinking of it more as challenge-modeling.) It's not there yet, but I think of it as modeling, because to me it's looking more and more like a universal toolkit for connecting crunch to narrative, and anyone who feels that 4e is inherently too combat-oriented, must not appreciate the system's potential for fleshing out all kinds of interactions through skill challenges. I've had great fun bringing activity that used to be merely part of the metagame rigmarole right into the heart of game itself. For example, my players now enjoy spending their hard-earned adventurers' coin by role-playing in the market, bartering, wheeling and dealing, pursuing goals within the game instead of just looking up prices of "stuff" in a rule book. You never know where adventure might turn up or go south, as the case may be.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played in 2 games when it came out and am happy that's all I played, I'll stick with older versions. The rest of the players in those 2 games went on to enjoy 4e, it's just not my flavor.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Going into the first year I was interested and willing to give 4E a fair shot with no bias. I loved 3E, make no mistake, it was a great edition and gave me a lot of DM fodder for making my games fun; but I was ready for something more streamlined.

Coming out of the first year, I can say that for my needs, 4E is just that. It's a tight set of rules that can run fast and efficiently for the style of play I prefer. I think it's the most DM oriented edition yet; everything is set up to make my life easier when I'm running a game, and making it easier without putting me into a situation where I respond with "No, you can't do that by the rules."

The rules enable me to say "Yes." every step of the way, and allow my players more freedom in terms of the things they can try.

To touch on something said above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    It's good to have the missing classes back- Druid and Barbarian missing was weird, Bard missing was tragic. I was very glad to see Bard back, but the brand-new classes in PHB2 don't really seem necessary- I haven't quite wrapped my mind around how a Warden, Invoker, or Avenger would fit into a typical party, and Swordmage seems like an odd, gish-only-not-really class...
    I'm going to suggest a different angle for these new classes. Don't think of them in terms of party need, think of them in terms of roleplay opportunities. I love them not because they round out a party (the first PHB had well rounded parties), I love them because they create interesting character opportunities for my players to surprise me with; and interesting world details.

When I wanted to fit Avenger's into my current campaign setting (almost done and ready to play!) I found them to offer lots of awesome in terms of how they impacted my world story. I already had a large temple dedicated to Bahamut in the area, and decided that the Avengers would come from a smaller, but very popular temple of Bahamut that advocates a much more direct approach to the enemies of the Dragonborn.

Fitting that class in added depth to my back story, created conflict amongst the pc-friendly temples, and gives my players lots of roleplay options. I'm very happy for it and look forward to seeing if anyone picks up on this thread with a character.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    1 year, ok, well I have only been playing it for a couple months and so far really enjoy it. I am skeptical of the revised Monk class but will be playtesting soon.

Windstar
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel more comfortable with the mechanics of combat, the dungeon crawl seems more vivid and cinematic. The Power Cards as "Quick Reference" Aids are great, specially the ones printed automatically from the Character generator.

The Skills sometime feel limited, but I most admit most actions could fall into one of the "broad" categories used in 4E and a good DM could always rule when the use of a skill requires training or not.

My biggest complaint perhaps is how similar are the Powers within the "Character Roles" groups (Leader, Striker, etc.). Being Healing Word (Cleric), Majestic Word (Bard) and Inspiring Word (Warlord) the most obvious and insulting.

This for starters as already mentioned make the New Classes feel unnecessary. On the other hand, with the current information available, creating your fairly balanced Own Class has become very easy.

Perhaps I am stuck with 3.X or even 2nd (Secondary Skills) but the Feats are now just Enhancements instead New "Abilities". Which add to the idea that WE ARE THE SAME but you are just a little better than me. Yes the 2Hand, 2Weapon fighting styles are there but they don't separate you from the herd (I miss the Mounted Combat Style, I like Heavy Cavalry), so they don't contribute at all to achieve a sense of uniqueness.

So this repetitiveness of content make the ownership of new books not very worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    I'm going to suggest a different angle for these new classes. Don't think of them in terms of party need, think of them in terms of roleplay opportunities. I love them not because they round out a party (the first PHB had well rounded parties), I love them because they create interesting character opportunities for my players to surprise me with; and interesting world details.
    But in the light of those suggestions, you could have played a Holy Assassin using the Rogue Class, hence, where is the need for the Avenger?

I have other comments, but will post them later ...

Last edited by Dimthar; 06-06-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Adding
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    One year later... the books still smudge, so none grace my shelves. I try to keep up with what's going on, but that's becoming less of a priority as time goes by, especially with them giving the Game Table the business equivalent of the old Roman thumbs-up.
    Hroath G'blon Brack Rothan

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamerath View Post
    I really like what I've seen thus far and the only thing I really really miss about 3.5 were the templates for monsters...
    True- I get the idea there is a system being used for monsters, so it would be good to see how powers translate into level and such, so you could add, say, Combat Challenge to a soldier who's supposed to be a Fighter without making him an Elite. Hopefully DMG2 will have more toolbox to it.

Quote Originally Posted by korhal23 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely impressed with 4E. It's very well cross-balanced too. I don't think anything that's come out in PHB2, or Martial or Arcane Power has been "over-powered" or "better" than stuff at launch... that is to say, I haven't noticed any feature creep, only more options.
    The classes do seem fairly well balanced, but I am a little leery of the Swordmage right now- it seems that there are many more opportunities to mark an opponent than a Fighter or Paladin have (several powers that allow you to keep different opponents marked, and at range no less), and with the paragon path ability, (Sage of Fate's Bonds) the mark is a lot more punishing than violating the Paladin or Fighter mark is (2d8+Int damage, no to-hit roll). I think I need to really read up to find the weaknesses in the class, though-

Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post

I'm going to suggest a different angle for these new classes. Don't think of them in terms of party need, think of them in terms of roleplay opportunities.
    Party need is pretty straightforward- they have their combat role and skills, so I'm not too worried about their ability to do their thing. They'd make fine NPCs as well. I'm more concerned about how a fanatic religious assassin, a protector of a specific chunk of forest, or a soldier in the war before the gods would work for a wide variety of adventure hooks- they seem a little too focused in their concept for that- maybe even to "deep" for a lot of what I'd have the party doing...

Anyway, thanks all for your input! Will be interesting to see what the game will look like after year 2-

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast