Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Game Thread

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Dark City: The Guild War

Chapter One

The bloody daggers were presented to the Guild Masters. Eight in all. Were it not that four were found the week before, the Master thief would had shrugged it off. But this was different. Four the last three months members of the guild have been found dead or missing from their assigned task. The Merchants of the City have become embolden as well. With the Guilds influence less and less a threat, the once prosperous protection money has begin to dry up. Even worse, the activities of the thieves have been less than profitable. Once rich resources of Nobel houses have been now secured by unknown means. Magic or guardians none have ever seen before (or lived to tell about).

In an unprecendent move, against his advice of his senior officers, the Guild Master turn to one of his youngest newcomers to the inner circle. The dashing Operations officer, Calloway was only a foot pad two years ago when he successfully pulled off a heist netting the guild a substantial fortune. Some level the young officer as a genius, other think of him as too damn lucky. Nevertheless, the Guild Master had put Calloway in charge of dealing with the recent events.

Calloway was never one to follow tradition. Instead of recruiting veteran thieves in the Guild, he went straight to the Footpads, the low level beginners in the guild, still training in their skills. Observing for a week the current recruits he manage to pull several from their training to meet with him in the evening. Some instructors were glad to be rid of the dead weight that was hindering their instructions, while others were quite proud that their pupil would be chosen for an advancement.

The evening came and the recruits stood should to shoulder in one the Guild Conference rooms (Calloway's office being too small). Laid out on a table was a map of a city intersection and various drawn pictures of a strange amulet.

The blond and blue eyed Calloway, nor more than your two year senior (relatively speaking) smiled. "I have an offer to make you, if you are interested..."

DM: This your chance to describe your PC briefly and you can respond in character. Make sure your stats are in the Guild Roster.
    Last edited by wizarddog; 06-05-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Character sheet here:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...2486#post82486

Ayukawa Madoka

Female Gray Elf Wizard L1
    5'7", 128#
    Apparent Age: 17
    Eyes: Light Blue, Hair: Purple, Skin: Pale

Madoka is a college-trained wizard with a wild streak. She's a child prodigy of immense talent with the arcane arts, but she's prone to distraction. After being kicked out of the Academy she turned to a life of crime, not because she's evil or greedy, but because it was risky and exciting. She's a maverick who resents authority figures and doesn't take her guild duties seriously. She's physically attractive but can be arrogant, bitc*h*y, and vengeful. Her powers are beyond reproach, however.

Madoka wears stylish form-fitting explorer's clothes. A polished longsword hangs at her waist next to a wicked-looking dagger. A slender composite bow is over her shoulder. On her back is a slim quiver and a small backpack with many pouches. She has an intelligent look and eyes that seem to peer into one's soul. She looks dangerous and ready for anything.

OOC Note: I've got the blasting and arcane casting covered like a sarape.

[Madoka shrugs aloofly and turns away, making a dismissive noise. To no one in particular she says with ennui,]
    "I hope this is worth my time."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madoka.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	258  
    Last edited by Borodeva; 06-05-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jack Casey stands in line with the others with an air of confidence that surrounds those who are sure of their lot in life. Clean shaven and well groomed Jack looks to be the type of man who keeps good care of his appearance.

Jack wears sturdy leather boots, dark leather pants and a dark leather jacket, with a crisp white shirt on underneath. Looking a little harder, you notice what looks like the collar of a chain shirt underneath his shirt. Jack wears a compact backpack, as well as a belt pouch. The pouch shares space on his belt with two sturdy utilitarian daggers.

From his pouch, Jack pulls a flask, unscrews the cap and takes a sip.

"I'm all ears." Jack says

Motioning to the others in line Jack offers the flask.

OOC: Character to come when I get home.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Several members of the group snicker at Ayukawa's remark. Most recall the time in the lock picking test she grew frustrated and burned the door down. Needless to say, she was not the instructor's favorite.

No one seems incline to sample Jack's brew. Since he never really trained with the rest they seem a bit distant to him. He gives the impression he is above all the rest of the thieves.

In and all, it appears the group is full of outsiders and misfits of Guild Footpads. No typical officer would want to assign them to anything important.

But the gleaming smile of Calloway was all the wider.

"Excellent. Here is the Job"

"You are to Break into the moneylenders shop belonging to Felipe Norst. You must use the utmost stealth as the owner along with his wife and two sons live on the second floor.
    Your objective is to steal Felipe's most prized possession, the Periapt of Vaas. It is a large engraved gem in gold setting with a matching chain. We do not know where in the building it is kept, but we do know that it is inside. You must complete the job within 3 days.

"Be extremely careful. We have reason to believe the moneylender is being protected by an unknown creature or creatures. Be very subtle in your surveillance of the building and do not let anyone know of your intentions. Return the item to me once you have it."

"In addition, I am wavering the guild operation cost on this job. Anything you manage to find for yourselves, you can keep."

The group look at each other in awe. Never would a footpad (let alone any officer) be exempted from the Guild Tax.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "No guild tax? Interesting. Count me in," Madoka says with a wry smile. "So who here knows how to pick a lock? Subtlety isn't one of my strong points," she snickers.

EDIT: (now that we know we have a team to work with)

"I say we send a 'customer' into the shop during the day to check out the layout of the shop and maybe even scope out the whereabouts of this gem. Hey Bob, you're a face-man, right?"

[Madoka grabs the nearest charismatic footpad by the ear]
    Last edited by Borodeva; 06-07-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With a small smile, Jack takes another sip from his flask and then puts it away.

"Interesting indeed." Jack says with a friendly grin to Madoka. "I think we've all heard about your methods of getting through locked doors. While they are quite useful in many circumstances, they seem as ill fit as a means of entry as my own personal methods."

Jack takes a look around at the others gathered by Calloway and asks, "What else can you tell us about the mission? Are we trying to replace the periapt of Vaass with a fake, or do we just want there to still be a question as to who stole the periapt after it's gone?"

OOC: Knowledge Local for anything Jack might know about the money lender, his wife, the age of his children, the periapt itself, as well as a Knowledge Local check about the others in line with us.
    Last edited by TheSmartestLemming; 06-06-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jack knows the Moneylender, who primarily work with middle class business and persons, moved the city three years ago. His wife is only few years younger than him. The two sons are ages 14 and 19. Anything specific requires he look further into their affairs. Jack knows nothing of the Periapt. The other footpads are known troublemakers and rejects, all are similarly the same age in appearance.

Calloway says to Jack: "Nothing so...complicated. Felipe is a smart man. He will know who is responsible. We just don't want him to know specifics."

The footpad grabbed by the ear swats Madoka hand away. His forceful backslap was pretty strong. He sneers at her in disgust. Madoka's reputation precedes itself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

"OK, so what do you guys think we should do? (no pause to wait for replies) Well here's what I think... Let's send a scout into the shop during the day. He can pretend to be a customer. At minimum we need to find out the layout of the shop and see if we can spot any guards or wards. If we get lucky maybe our guy can even trick the shopkeep into showing off his 'most prized possession.' I think Bob here is the man for the job. (winks at Bob who got his ear pulled) We also need another team to case the joint from the outside to see how many people come and go during the day, what time the shop opens and closes, if there are times during the day that the wife and sons leave, etc. Another option is if we can get the shopkeep alone, I might be able to magically persuade him to show me the periapt. If I can, one of you lugs can just grab it and run! Hehe. Other ideas to consider: bribing the architect who built the shop to get the plans, bribing the locksmith who installed the locks to find out about the security and get copies of the keys, or just setting the place on fire and waiting for everyone to run out while we sneak in and look for the gem."

[Madoka smiles arrogantly and waits for responses]

Downloads
    Uploads
    "That sounds like a good plan to me, up to the burning down of the house part. How about we leave that as our very last ace up our sleeves." Jack says with a faltering grin.

"We scout the shop inside and out, find a good time to sneak in, get the periapt, along with anything else we can find, and then get out without beeing seen."

"Robert, it looks like you've been volunteered to be our inside man for this mission. How about you and I scout the shop out tomorrow, while Madoka you scout the outside of the shop with.. umm... Samuel is it? After we get all the information we can for the day, we meet up at Mckinnleys (OOC: If this doesn't work as a nameing theme for a bar I can change it), and I'll buy everyone a round, and we'll all get to know each other better over the details."

"Madoka, about that spell you've got to presuade the moneylender to show us his periapt, does it make him forget his actions? If it does, that sounds like a great plan, if it does not, I don't know about you, but I don't want the moneylender to know what I look like after we steal the gem from him."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The next day arrives and the thieves meet at the Moneylenders shop in the morning. The shop lies in one of the Artisan districts. The streets are littered with stalls of sellers of artworks, pottery, bead work and other crafted items.

The moneylenders shop is a medium sized two story, white washed building stretching 30 feet by 40 feet on the busy corner of Kingsreach and Devine. It has a large uniquely designed balcony just two steps off the ground level. The balcony is a large open area with three doors, a dumbwaiter, a counter, two wooden benches and an outdoor fireplace. Many small windows are visible on the second floor and five on the first. Three solid looking doors provide entrance from the balcony while another resides in the alley on the east side of the shop.

Adjacent to the shop is a silversmith and a furniture maker. Across the street is a large complex workshop for the local wainwright. All three look very secured with iron grilled windows and sturdy front doors.

From observation, one of the sons at the counter is greeting customers who are looking for money exchanges. Doors to dumbwaiter are open. A fire burns in the fire place.

Armed city watch with halbreds walk the streets through the crowds that move like a slow current through the street.

Downloads
    Uploads

[Madoka prepares Charm Person, Silent Image, and Sleep today.]

"Psst, if I hide behind that barrel there across the street and cast my Charm Person spell on the son, if my magic works he'll regard me as a trusted friend and ally. If I ask nicely and bat my eyelashes maybe he'll give me a tour of the inner shop and he might let slip where dad is keeping the periapt. The spell will last for 1 hour if it works, so we might wanna try it a little before closing. But afterwards he'll remember that he acted odd and that might blow our cover before we can complete the theft.

Alternately, we could just wait until everyone is asleep, pick the lock to the back door in the alley and creep around, but we won't have any idea what sort of wards or traps are protecting the jewel, nor will we know where to look.

A third option is to try to charm the moneylender directly and get him to show us the periapt. If we can get a few of us into the shop, we can snatch the gem and run.

Too bad we don't have a halfling. One of us could distract the son while we stuff the halfling in the dumbwaiter.

*yawn* Anyways, you guys got any better ideas?"

[Madoka finds a nearby alley that has a dead-end. If pursued, her plan is to run into the alley and cast a Silent Image of an empty dead-end wall to obscure her location.]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Göss draws the scuffed toe of his soft shoe across the cobblestone in an aimless fashion as he draws the hood of his cloak more tightly against his neat mop of brown hair. "Yeah, I guess," he drawls ambivalently. "That is, if the halfling could keep its shrill little voice quiet until the job was finished."

He cracks a smile.

"What about a familiar?" His head pops up from thought and his eyes glance about at the pack of thieves. "That could work too. Anyone got a little friend with 'em?" He holds his hands out with a shruglike gesture, as if to indicate that his own belongings are few and unassistive for this particular endeavour.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OOC: So the building is 30x40, and has a balcony that extends from the building (how far out?, and does it wrap all the way around the corner?) Do the three doors look like they another public area of the moneylender's shop, or do they look like they go to other private areas (since it's a home/shop)?

Knowledge local: Other than the services that the son is offering outside, does the shop offer any other services?

Also, does the guard presence in this area peter off at a certian time, or are they just as present at night as they are in the morning? (Or is that more of an actual wait and scout the area kind of information?)

IC: "I say we wait and see what their routine is before we make a play for the item." Jack whispers. "Since the city guard have a pretty constant presence here, maybe we should change our scouting plan a little bit." Jack continues looking around to make sure that no one is listening in on their conversation.

"How about we each take a two hour shift perusing the various wares these street venders have for sale, while keeping an eye on the shop. that way we can hopefully keep interest in our activities to a minimum. Remember we have three days to do this mission (OOC: And this is day one right?), there is no need to rush in and do a sloppy job. If it does turn out that we do need to do a snatch and grab, we'll have to have a distraction to draw the guards away from the person doing the grabbing. Also, remember we get nothing for recovering the item itself, just from liberating other items from our target."

(OOC: Or at least that's how I took Calloway's meaning, please let me know if I am incorrect.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ((OOC: Since I am late coming into the game I will be a late comer to little meeting too))

A woman burst into the middle of the group clutching a satchel at her side. She stumbles into one of the other members in a rather clumsy, bumbling manner. As she fought to get her footing she manages to stand up straight and shrugging it all off she put her other hand on her hip and sways her body to one side. A slow smile spreads across her face, "Hello all."

"I'm Cissinei," she goes on to add while swiping a hand back through her dark curls.
    Last edited by Cardboard Tube Knight; 06-10-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Made a mistake, its fixed now

Downloads
    Uploads
    OOC: CTK we are on the streets which are littered with stalls of sellers of artworks, pottery, bead work and other crafted items.

And since I was writing my post at the same time Anethema was writing his,

IC: Still chuckling from the Halfling joke Jack shakes his head and quietly says, "Nothing little birdies on my shoulder"

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast