Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: How many software languages i know...

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 language

0 0%
  • 2 languages

0 0%
  • 3 languages

1 12.50%
  • 4 languages

0 0%
  • 5 languages

2 25.00%
  • 6 languages

0 0%
  • 7 languages

1 12.50%
  • 8 languages

0 0%
  • 9 languages

0 0%
  • 10 or more languages

4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Are you a software programmer? Time to brag.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Are you a software programmer? Time to brag.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Are you a software programmer? Time to brag.

When getting my A.A. so many years ago, i learned Basic, Fortran, Cobol, Machine (i seem to remember taking one called this, was a long time ago), & Pascal. Yeah, i realize i'm aging myself.

So, time to brag, you software programmers, for you all have my respect.

How many computer languages do you know, include every language you ever learned, regardless if you no longer use it, or even remember it. Newer versions of older languages do count.

Feel free to list the specific languages, if you would.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-03-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Meh, I got an A in my C++ class a few years ago, and I read my step-dad's book on REXX years ago. But I would have had a lot of problems as any kind of programming professional. I'm a good code editor and am pretty good with HTML (though I haven't kept up enough with HTML 5), but I was terrible with the math and SQL kicked my ass.

Truthfully, Farcaster has us all beat by a mile in this area as far as I can tell.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Color Computer Basic, IBM Basic, GWBasic, TRS-80 Basic, Megabasic, 6502 Assembly Language, 8088 Assembly Language, IBM System 36 Assembly Language, Cobol, Cobol Report Language, JCL, Libra Basic, True Basic, IBM System 23 Basic, Quickbasic, Turbo C, Borland C++, Microsoft C, sh, ksh, bash, awk, perl, mysql, r:base, d:base III+, php, javascript, HTML, and css.

So 30 languages or derivations. There are several API's I learned as well. CXL and TCXL (for text based windows), MS Windows, and FTP's TCP/IP library.

Oddly enough, I started off as a professional programmer and transitioned into being a system administrator.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    My two cents: The skill of a software engineer/programmer/developer is not a function of the number of languages he or she knows.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know quite a few different programming languages, but most deal with web applications so there are similarities with them.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lets see...I used to know HTML(what ever was used in the early 2000's), Visual Basic 6.0, Visual Basic.Net 2003(I HATED this compaired to VB 6.0), C++, and Java. Though my C++ knowledge was limited to non-OOP. They split the C++ courses here into 2, one for very simplified applications with out objects which I got a B in and then there is the OOP's class which I never took because I realized part way through Java I didn't want to be a programer anymore.

After the 30th hour of reading though thousands of lines of code(wrote my own video game) just to get another 10 seconds of run time out of the game I decided that this wasn't where I wanted my life to go.

It was one of my 4 failed minors here in college. I've tried to minor in: Computer Science, Philosophy, Psychology, and Education.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    C++ and Java (from highschool), MySQL from a summer internship databasing failure analysis, HTML from various periods of "Hey, wouldn't it be nice to be a web designer? Oh wait, n/m," and Visual Basic from dissecting macros that I thought were awesome and wanted to duplicate.

My boss says I should learn Pascal because our code is similar to it. Probably won't happen unless I have to. And I'll kick and scream, too.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used alot of languages over the year but I don't concider myself a programer. I just write tools to automate things I don't want to do manually. These days I try to use auto-it as much as possible because 1. it works, 2. its easy. Though it mostly only works well for windows and I do most of my coding on my ubuntu box using auto-it running in wine... yeah im an odd duck
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure if all these qualify as "languages", but:

TRS-80 BASIC, Apple II BASIC, Logo, Assembler, QuickBASIC, DOS, UNIX Shell, HTML, JavaScript, VBScript, MS Java 1.1, Sun Java 2.0, Perl, Sendmail (If HTML is a language, the config format for Sendmail certainly is), XML, XSL, XHTML, CSS, C, C++, C# (1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 2010 beta), VB5, VB6, VB.Net (2001 and 2003), ASP, ASP.Net 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0, T-SQL, P-SQL, MySQL, and there are probably a few I've forgotten.

Next week I'm learning PowerShell.

Quote Originally Posted by PlattevilleGamer View Post
    Visual Basic.Net 2003(I HATED this compaired to VB 6.0),
    As far as I'm concerned, VB 6.0 was the last VB. VB.Net is basically C# spoken with a VB accent.

I've written quite a fair amount of code, with plenty of bugs, but my favorite bug was a PoliCheck issue (that's a tool that checks your code for political correctness) that flagged one of my web tools in violation because it assigned a "country code" to Taiwan. Referring to Taiwan as a country is a jailing offense in China, where we have employees that can be arrested for said things. Since the code was in an XSLT doc (the spec for accessing a 3rd party web service, belonging in this case to EBay), I couldn't change it, and the component I was working on had to be scrapped and pulled off the Internet.

So, now I can claim that I write banned code.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, need to change my vote. I forgot about Assembly language and VLSI
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I know lots of computer launguages. Like when I was ten I learned slinene and leind. Before that it was lskdjpupl and eiopnoije. But what really helped me was learning ouldnme. I am really surprised that no one learned any of them, they really were important ones back in those days. Everyone who knew anything knew them. Now days I am using @#$%)&.

jk all those languages just hurt my head. I can't even do HTML very well, let alone HTML 5.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    MNY versions of basic + MS visual basic/VB .Net
    ada
    cobl (+ visual later)
    fortran 77 and a few more
    pascal + delphi
    C, C++, VC ++, C# (various flavors)
    Java
    JSP
    VBScript
    Javascript
    XQuery/XML
    ANSI SQL
    various relational and hierarchical DB "langs" + LINQ and the like
    Ruby
    PHP
    Perl
    JCL (various)
    Assembly (for DOS and System 34/36 IBM)
    various CNC languages for large machines
    crosstalk
    HTML & variants

In summary: I so done with writing code. I hate it now.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post

As far as I'm concerned, VB 6.0 was the last VB. VB.Net is basically C# spoken with a VB accent.

Well I think my hatred of VB.Net had to do with my professor for that class...he was TERRIBLE. Half the time he couldn't even find the mouse pointer on the desktop. I failed every program, quiz, and test, and somehow managed a B in the class. I'm not going to complain though since I'm pretty sure if I do, they can change my grade...lol. Not that its doing much for me now, its just extra credits that sit on my transcript which scream "I don't know what i want to do in life."

VB 6.0 was fun and fairly easy to use which is why I liked it.