Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

What's your longest running campaign?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Longest consistent running campaign/s? You can choose more than one answer.

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-2 years

43 50.00%
  • 3-4 years

23 26.74%
  • 5-6 years

12 13.95%
  • 7-8 years

4 4.65%
  • 9-10 years

4 4.65%
  • 11-12 years

1 1.16%
  • 13-14 years

2 2.33%
  • 15+ years, see below.

7 8.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your longest running campaign?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up What's your longest running campaign?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What's your longest running campaign? Which rpg/s, as a player or DM?

I've seen others on these boards and other boards mention campaigns that have ran for 5, 10, even 15+ years, and i am envious. I would give my left arm for a campaign that lasted--consistently--for over a decade.

So, please, everyone, please list your longest running campaign/s and the specific rpg/s.

Here are mine:

1) DnD (2E?) campaign that lasted 5 years.
    2) Traveller CT campaign that lasted, well, a bit over 6 years.

Those were the best of times.

What share the rest of you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-04-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Longest consistent campaign I've run: Star Wars D6, approximately 2 full years. The game only ended because one of the 4 players moved away and another followed a few months later. Otherwise this game probably would have gone on for at least another 12 to 18 months.

Longest consistent campaign I've played in: D&D 3E, approximately 2 full years. Campaign took us from level 1 to 20 and was supposed to go into Epic levels but the DM and one other player graduated college and moved away for work.

I believe the D&D campaign lasted slightly longer (2 or 3 months) than my Star Wars campaign.
    Last edited by Webhead; 06-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dragonlance

Longest campaign was Dragonlance, 3.5 years.

All the others where usually a year or less.

Windstar
    Last edited by Windstar; 06-03-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't take credit for this one, mainly due to the fact that I'm a player in it, however, it's a WEG d6 Star Wars campaign that began not long after 2E Star Wars from WEG was released. WE still get together to play this one, though over the last 3 or 4 years its been relegated to holiday events. So, take out the last 3 or 4 years and it's a campaign that has been running for over 12 years - using Force points are painful

AS for my own games, the longest was a 2E DnD campaign that lasted for just under 2 years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    what happens in a campaign that runs for 2 years and more? i'm having trouble imagining that. well 2 years isn't that hard but all the way to 5, 6 and 12 years. longest campaign i've ever been in was 3 months

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DM
    1. AD&D Nine Hells Campaign 13 years.
    2. AD&D Conan 11 years.

Played
    1. 2nd AD&D Forgotten Realms 8 years.
    2. CoC I think it was 4th that went 6 years.
    3. VtM 5 years.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Frontiers - still going really, we did not officially end it and i got players still wanting to pick it up again. Began in 1990 - gone through hundreds of game years.

Otherwise, ADnD, 1988-1998 (saw transition from 1e to 2e; characters now dead and legends in current game world)

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back in the nineties, I was involved in a 2nd ed AD&D campaign that lasted about 5 years.

My current D&D campaign has been going on for about four years.
    Manny
    ďA government should not mobilize an army out of anger. Military leaders should not provoke war out of wrath. Act when it is beneficial, desist if it isnít. This is the way to secure a nation and keep the armed forces whole.Ē ~Sun Tzu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace_Bel View Post
    what happens in a campaign that runs for 2 years and more? i'm having trouble imagining that. well 2 years isn't that hard but all the way to 5, 6 and 12 years. longest campaign i've ever been in was 3 months
    Frequency of play is also a factor to consider. The more often a group meets, the more ground they cover in terms of advancing characters and plot lines. Most "regular" campaigns that I've run or played in generally occured twice a month. That means 1 year of real time was roughly equivalent to 24 sessions. That's still a lot of adventuring, but not nearly as much as a group that meets for the same game once a week or more.

And in my campaign's case...it was Star Wars. You can never run out of adventure ideas in Star Wars. It's a galaxy of a billion habitable worlds...and all the (not so) empty space inbetween.
    Last edited by Webhead; 06-04-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been playing with the same group of guys for almost 5 years now. We have had a new player join and leave every now and then but for the most part we have a solid core group.

We play every other Sunday D&D 3.5 and every Tuesday we alternate Star Wars Saga games, one I GM and one the D&D GMs.

We have been playing my SW game since Saga came out, 2007(?) and we have been playing the current D&D game for about a year now I think.

We had a D&D game going, ended at 9th level with a TPK. That one was a mess because we had an old campaign (at least 5 years old) and we were all new players, all the original players eventually dropped. So our characters weren't really tied to the story in any significant way. We then started with the Age of Worms campaign and that ended in a TPK at 3rd level. We have been continuing the AoW game with new 4th level characters and are now 6th level. So far so good.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Greyhawke Campaign in it's 33 year and counting. It started as 0e D&D and as evolved though the editions. The flavor of the world does not change, even if the system evolves.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Frequency of play is also a factor to consider. The more often a group meets, the more ground they cover in terms of advancing characters and plot lines. Most "regular" campaigns that I've run or played in generally occured twice a month. That means 1 year of real time was roughly equivalent to 24 sessions. That's still a lot of adventuring, but not nearly as much as a group that meets for the same game once a week or more.
    ok i thought you guys were playing atleast once a week for ll these consecutive years

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    And in my campaign's case...it was Star Wars. You can never run out of adventure ideas in Star Wars. It's a galaxy of a billion habitable worlds...and all the (not so) empty space inbetween.
    i get that but what about your characters. shouldn't they be topped out where levels are concerned
    Last edited by Jace_Bel; 06-06-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Sandbox campaign was started in 1997 as a 2nd Ed game. The game went on for 3 years and then I took a break for about 4 years and went back to it as a 3.5 game and that went for another 2 and a half years.

I think I should actually place some digital notes about it before my brain leaks the info and the paper work all disappears.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a Tough Call

I'd have to say a Dragonlance campaign I ran back in college. Since we were all off at different colleges, we could only play during breaks, but we went through the entire first edition series of modules and then campaigned beyond that for about three and a half years. Right now, my current campaign has just celebrated it's one year anniversary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm currently playing in two games that each started around December 2006. I joined both games in Feb/Mar of 2007. A fellow member of this site is running one of those games and in fact, we game tonight. We have had a few players come and go or occasionally, take a hiatus but they are consistent games. We play each homebrew campaign once per month.

I Dm'd a game (an expanded version of the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde module) for nearly 2 years (playing every other week) before I halted it to start my current pirate/seabased campaign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast