Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To my chagrin....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

To my chagrin....

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    ...and despite my preferences for tactical and strategic elements in rp which tend towards a rules heavy environment, I have somehow invented a rules-lite system of role playing.

*A few moments of silence while I overcome my embarrassment, please*

So I thought I would ask here, as quite a few here prefer lightweight systems, what do you want to see (and definitely don't want to see) in a lightweight rule system?

Also, please consider how it might be possible to pull off the feat of applying tactical and strategic elements in all three dimensions (and assuming that all participants/characters will be represented with a 2d framework) to a rules-lite system?

Thank you in advance for your comments.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish I had that problem, where I accidentally made rules lite games. All my stuff keeps getting away from me with scope-creep and self-bloating.

What I want to see or not see if a bit vague. That's like asking "What is your favorite solid object?" with no other criteria. In context of what? Chargen? Combat? Stats? Skills? Movement? Magic? Dice rolls? System mechanics and task resolution? Races? Professions? Equipment?
    Abstruse Decapod

"Why aren't i just be able to write adventures that don't require crap like an Amish rpg?" -myself

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll pull from the one that I wrote (link in signature).

Want to see:
    Fast, simple, conflict-resolution dice system.
    Flexibility to try different things without needing rules for them.

Don't want to see:
    Tables.
    Convoluted mechanics (see the Star Wars system with 6 or 8 types of dice for one type of resolution).

Tactical/strategic:
    See Risk. Or chess? What sort of strategies are you looking for?
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.30
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post
    I'll pull from the one that I wrote (link in signature).
    Tactical/strategic:
    See Risk. Or chess? What sort of strategies are you looking for?
    Character A is in location xyz∆, character B is in a different location xyz∆, can they affect each other and to with what degree of likelihood / success?

Quote Originally Posted by jpatterson View Post
    In context of what? Chargen? Combat? Stats? Skills? Movement? Magic? Dice rolls? System mechanics and task resolution? Races? Professions? Equipment?
    YES!

Since you so handily provided a list, let's start with that. ^^

(oh, and in response to your favorite solid object question, the first thing that came to mind was my wife'n'kids... oh, and i'm kinda fond of the planet and associated environs too. )

the current iteration of the system is so rules-lite, it is actually diceless.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    Character A is in location xyz∆, character B is in a different location xyz∆, can they affect each other and to with what degree of likelihood / success?
    If you're using grid coordinates, you're wandering out of the realm of rules-light. I guess you could probably keep it fairly simple, though:
    - pieces move up/down, left/right, in a number of spaces equal to their Speed.
    - movement through walls or other pieces are not allowed. (Unless you're a Knight.)
    - close range attacks occur only with other adjacent, non-diagonal pieces.
    - extended range attacks may occur with any square not partially or fully obstructed by another piece or wall.

Plenty of tactical questions available here:
    - when do I move?
    - which piece do I move?
    - does my Speed allow me (or my opponent) to attack this round, given the obstacles?
    - can I threaten two pieces at the same time?
    - should I block access to one of my pieces with my other pieces?

and so on.

PS - Wow. Now I REALLY want to create a combat system designed for a chess board and chess pieces.
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.30
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not decided whether or not to use grid coordinates. What other systems or mechanics might be possible to accomplish this?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anything you want. However, the more rules you write is the more tactical you can get. The fewer rules you write is the more you depend on rule zero.

I was aiming for simplicity with my system, and drew a lot from Skyrim and Final Fantasy to do it. Let's see how many rules it took:

- Conflict occurs in rounds.
    - Characters roll d20, and turns during the round progress highest to lowest.
    - The character taking his turn announces his action, to which all other combatants can respond with an action.
    - All actions then occur with the acting character first, then are resolved in initiative order.
    - Using consecutive, similar actions during your turn allows you to use the higher of the rolls as your die result.
    - Each character gets three actions, and the round ends when the character with the lowest initiative ends his turn.
    - There are two postures (positions) in combat: offensive and defensive. Offensive is toe-to-toe combat, and defensive is everything else.
    - Melee weapons deal half damage to opponents in a different posture than yours, and no damage to defensive enemies if you are also defensive.
    - Ranged weapons and short range spells deal 50% damage if you and your opponent are defensive.
    - One (movement) action is required to change postures.
    - A successful movement action from defensive posture allows a character to flee combat.
    - A character may enter combat in "flanking" posture, which acts as an offensive posture that prevents enemies from fleeing.

So, the bulk of it falls into 12 rules. You might see the Final Fantasy in there (rows). The Skyrim isn't as explicitly combat-related. But hit up the link and use whatever you like.