Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
When it comes to stories, what's your preferred format, and why?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Everyone likes polls, so feel free to participate.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old School Dead Tree Books, i will always prefer.

19 95.00%
  • Online sources for my pc, mac, Kindle, and related technologies.

3 15.00%
  • Audio Books for me.

2 10.00%
  • Other. See below

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When it comes to stories, what's your preferred format, and why?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up When it comes to stories, what's your preferred format, and why?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    When it comes to stories, what's your preferred format, and why? When answering this, assume everything is available for each format.

Is it...

1) Old school dead tree books?

2) Online sources for my pc, mac, Kindle, and related technologies.

3) Audio books

Feel free to list your favorite resources for the benefit of the rest of us.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-03-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    For stories, I prefer dead tree. For game rulebooks, I prefer PDF, mostly for search features and portability. Carrying a paperback is different from carrying a thick stack of 8.5x11 hardcovers. Yes I am lazy.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use my computer to type up my plans, but I always print them out. If I can't jot down notes with a pencil, I'm lost. Back when I wrote poetry, I always wrote in a notebook with a pen or pencil or I couldn't get the words to flow. Something about staring at that big white emptiness and the cursor flashing at me as if to say, "TYPE SOMETHING ALREADY, YOU LOSER!"

But I digress. There is a reason I have every last released book for Exalted (really the only game I run anymore). If I have a need for a piece of info, I prefer to reference the dead tree. Do I read all the books cover to cover? No, but I could if I wanted to and in the meanwhile my bookshelf looks pretty snazzy .
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to say dead trees but I really like kindle.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Books. Always books.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Kindle and love it a lot, but I also have roughly 100 unread paperbacks on my shelves.

For gaming books, I use my DR 1000s e-reader.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dead Tree Books for me, I can't stand reading much on the computer. I do enjoy an audio book from time to time if I have a long drive.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Downloads
    Uploads

I like it all!

I prefer novels in dead tree format. I use both dead tree and pdf for gaming material, but prefer a book. Although, admittedly, I read stuff at the office that I have my laptop. Fortunately, I can't fire myself for reading gaming material at work. I also listen to audio books. Basically, I like it all but do tend towards the dead tree method.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm...

I prefer dead wood.

Having worked in a bookstore for a couple of years, you get used to the smell of paper and binding glue...but i do find it sad that even bookstores are trying to market those e book devices...planting the seeds of their own doom...not surprising though...most bookstores are in it for profit, not to expand knowledge...

anyway...there's always been something special about holding a book...portability not withstanding...plus books are where i keep my savings!
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgamer View Post
    Dead Tree Books for me, I can't stand reading much on the computer. I do enjoy an audio book from time to time if I have a long drive.
    Using a digital e-reader, like the Kindle, bears almost no resemblance to reading on a computer. My Kindle is small enough to be read like I would a smallish hardback book. E-ink screens are not backlit as laptops are; they use only reflective light from external sources or booklights because the screen is opaque. The Sony models have internal booklights in front of the screen.

The backlighting of computer screens is what causes eyestrain.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magic Book

I would have voted for Kindle had it been a sole option, apart from laptops, which are hit or miss for me. To me, Kindle, and e-ink tech is collectively in a class of its own. Back-lit, easy on the eyes, practically paper thin. I look forward to the coming years, hopefully not too distant, when Amazon Kindle is sold as a Bi-Fold system with a color display and a better annotation system... oh, and even thinner than it is today.

At that point, it will no longer be a challenge to the sacred BOOK. It will BE a book. A magic book.

What do you think, four years?
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    I would have voted for Kindle had it been a sole option, apart from laptops, which are hit or miss for me. To me, Kindle, and e-ink tech is collectively in a class of its own. Back-lit, easy on the eyes, practically paper thin. I look forward to the coming years, hopefully not too distant, when Amazon Kindle is sold as a Bi-Fold system with a color display and a better annotation system... oh, and even thinner than it is today.

At that point, it will no longer be a challenge to the sacred BOOK. It will BE a book. A magic book.

What do you think, four years?
    I think color e-ink displays are approximately 2 - 3 years away. In fact, Fujitsu already has done a color e-reader with an LCD related technology, and iRex just announced that they are working on an e-ink reader with color. I'm not sure about a bi-fold device; I've seen one or two out there, but they haven't really impressed me in any significant sense (including my daughter's Nintendo DS). But that may simply be a personal taste issue.

Everyone talks about color, but I think the real next major step will be in interactive software. Imagine being able to run an interactive choose-your-own-RPG style text and picture story game with hundreds of other people literally deciding with you how the adventure flows.

If you've never read The Diamond Age, you should check it out. (Don't miss the fact that it's in Kindle format, too!)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
    I think color e-ink displays are approximately 2 - 3 years away...

Imagine being able to run an interactive choose-your-own-RPG style text and picture story game with hundreds of other people literally deciding with you how the adventure flows.

...If you've never read The Diamond Age, you should check it out. (Don't miss the fact that it's in Kindle format, too!)
    Yes, yes, yes, and hell yes! I had NS's The Diamond Age expressly in mind, in fact. Until then I'd settle for a thinner, color, Bi-Fold system, that allowed me to network wirelessly and share even un-interactive media with fellow players at the tabletop. Actually, I think I will always prefer to interact with people face-to-face, but it would be great if we could use something like a super-Kindle to collaborate in realtime.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer dead tree. Looking at the backs of books, titles and such, remind me of what is in them. I can't get that from a Kindle. To me, books are similar to family pictures I guess.

So until they come up with a system that'll let me reminisce about a book and maybe pick it up and read it again (just finished Berserker Beginnings), I'll stick with dead tree.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
    I prefer dead tree. Looking at the backs of books, titles and such, remind me of what is in them. I can't get that from a Kindle. To me, books are similar to family pictures I guess.

I think there's something not quite vaguely ironic about a Shadowrunner who dislikes e-books.

So until they come up with a system that'll let me reminisce about a book and maybe pick it up and read it again (just finished Berserker Beginnings), I'll stick with dead tree.

Carl
    Why couldn't you pick it up and read it again on the Kindle?
    In fact with the Kindle, you can delete it, download something else, read that, and a year later re-download Berserker Beginnings to read that again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast