Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Best System for G.I. Joe?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I am making a G.I. Joe campaign as well, using Mutants & Masterminds 2e. I works fantastically for this and is not rules-heavy at all. There are already writeups of many of the G.I. Joe characters and vehicles on the Atomic Thinktank forum, which is the official forum for M&M.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cinematic Unisystem is another good bet and so is Feng Shui. Both are rules-lite and great systems for this kind of thing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Palladium rules system is good Recon or Twillight 2000 are great examples. Another one I like is Blood and Guts: Modern Military by RPGObjects very nice.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try the Twilight:2013 RPG it's the latest version of Twilight :2000 & if what I've read about it it should fit. I'd go with Palladium Ninja's & Super Spies or wait for their new Jungle Warfare RPG when ever it sees the light of day. I'd love to play in a GI Joe game if I could find a group willing to run it as a pick-up game between regular campaigns.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm tempted to convert Cyberspace to use for a GI Joe game if I get around to it. Simple rules that can easily be used for a modern game with tweaking. It'll be more 'realistic' aka deadly , based more on the Image/DDP & new series of comics (if I like them).

Downloads
    Uploads
    You must be referring to a different "Cyberspace" than the game I have on my shelf with that name... the Cyberspace I own is essentially the Cyberpunk Rolemaster ruleset.

It's lighter than true Rolemaster, but that's not saying much.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hero System is fantastic for an unlimited variety of martial arts styles, weapons, vehicles, bases, armored body suits, and superscience devices.

The PDQ emulates comics, but is not as grainy but allows more narrative play.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    You must be referring to a different "Cyberspace" than the game I have on my shelf with that name... the Cyberspace I own is essentially the Cyberpunk Rolemaster ruleset.

It's lighter than true Rolemaster, but that's not saying much.
    Yes I am. It'd work for GI Joe with minor tweaks , especially seeing that GI Joe occasionly incorporates in high-tech devices & even robots/Cybernetics (at least with Cobra). Sure it's not a perfect fit as a Palladium Modern based game ( like N&SS) could do it better but I love ICE's games especially RM2/Classic , SM2 , RMexpress & Cyberspace. Palladium Books & ICE are my favorite game companies so if I ran a GI Joe game it'd use those rule systems.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really think M&M works well for any heroic comic concepts. Before D&D4E came out I was using M&M for a Conan-esque game (I never even looked at the Mongoose version). I haven't went on their forum (atomoicthinktank.com) since 4E but they had resources for all sorts of concepts including D&D type monsters for the M&M system. Many of the contributors would construct archetypes for different comic characters upon request. If the GI Joe aren't already out there I doubt you'd have trouble getting some assistance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer_Draconus View Post
    Yes I am. It'd work for GI Joe with minor tweaks , especially seeing that GI Joe occasionly incorporates in high-tech devices & even robots/Cybernetics (at least with Cobra). Sure it's not a perfect fit as a Palladium Modern based game ( like N&SS) could do it better but I love ICE's games especially RM2/Classic , SM2 , RMexpress & Cyberspace. Palladium Books & ICE are my favorite game companies so if I ran a GI Joe game it'd use those rule systems.
    heh. I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you where you say "simple rules." To be fair, simple is a subjective measure, but even so.

I think the best ruleset to use for it would be the "Cartoon Action Hour." It's kind of tailor made for playing G.I. Joe, He-Man, the Transformers, and every other cartoon we used to watch in the 80s. The system is also pretty easy to get into and understand, although of that authors work I really liked "Capes, Cowls & Villains Fowl" better... but wouldn't be quite as appropriate to G.I. Joe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cyberspace is relitively simple to learn & use. But I respect your opinion. I've never tried that game, I'll have to look it up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    cyberpunk is cool and all, but i think twilight 2013 would make a better gi joe rpg,
    It's all GENETIC!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hero System would be your best bet since it's a toolkit that allows you to create anything and shows you how to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've settled on Spycraft, and am loving the tweaks they have on the standard D20 system! I've developed a roster and am starting to fill it out, giving stats and all. This project may take awhile since I'm doing this while playing World of Darkness and planning my upcoming Star Wars game while re-familiarizing myself with MEGS for a future return to DC Heroes RPG *sigh*. Once I get this done though, I'll make my work available to everyone.

Game On!!!
    -RV
    Legends Never Die!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still say doing GI Joe in anything except Cartoon Action Hour would be a crime... Just about everything else feels too crunchy for GI Joe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast