Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
"Surprisingly" Good Movies
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Surprisingly" Good Movies

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Surprisingly" Good Movies

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'd like to hear examples of movies you saw for the first time expecting them to be bad that turned out to be surprisingly good.

Having three young children, when my wife and I are afforded the opportunity to go out to the movies we don't hesitate. On one of these rare occasions, all the movies that were showing were either ones we didn't want to see or were sold out. We settled on a movie that neither of us particularly wanted to see, THE RUNDOWN. It turned out to be a really fun movie that I enjoyed so much, I purchased it on DVD as soon as it came out. I watch it periodically and it's become one of my all-time (perhaps guilty-pleasure) favorites.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    <3 The Rundown. Walken hamming it up makes almost any movie so very watchable ^_^

Ghost Rider. Yes, the story's ludicrous. Yes, the acting is not noteworthy. Yes, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Unlike other bad comic book movies, this one didn't even try to take itself seriously, which is why I think it works (doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see a real film done, though ).Something of a shocker, but ... Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. (I know, I know.) I didn't watch horror-related stuff back then, and, unlike my sisters, had no interest in seeing Luke Perry in a movie. Oh, am I so glad I changed my mind on this one.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Stardust.

Expected cheese, but instead thought it was genius.
    There is no path, traveler; the path is made by walking.
    -Antonio Machado

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn't expecting much with Dog Soldiers, but oh was i wrong. An excellent movie.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlain View Post
    Stardust.

Expected cheese, but instead thought it was genius.
    This.

Also, Chronicles of Riddick. It made me a Vin Diesel fan, and the fact that he plays D&D cemented that.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sunshine was another great one. Surprisingly good. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Sunshine was another great one. Surprisingly good. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/
    Agreed. I wasn't sure that I would like this film until made myself sit down and watch it. Very good. Not a flawless film but very good.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sunshine.... great great great movie.

I also agree, Chronicles of Riddick, while not as good as the movie it was based off of, it was still a fun movie, and I too am a Diesel fan.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say, The Incredibles is one of the only movies I've ever seen that completely exceeded every (already fairly high) expectation I set for it. Something about that movie just impressed me on every level and it was about 10 times cooler than I was hoping it would be.

Alongside The Dark Knight, it is definately the best, most enthusiastic, and well-made "comic book" movie ever to grace the silver screen!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I found Fright Night I & II, & Love at First Bite, surprisingly entertaining. Anyone else agree?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 06-01-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I have to say, The Incredibles is one of the only movies I've ever seen that completely exceeded every (already fairly high) expectation I set for it. Something about that movie just impressed me on every level and it was about 10 times cooler than I was hoping it would be.

Alongside The Dark Knight, it is definately the best, most enthusiastic, and well-made "comic book" movie ever to grace the silver screen!
    Yes! It does for comic books what Galaxy Quest did for Star Trek: skewering all the tropes, while playing them straight. (Then Wall-E had to go and steal its spot as the best Pixar film I'd seen; curse Ben Burtt and his ability to make robots emote~!)

Actually, while we're here: Galaxy Quest, itself. I go in expecting a clever and loving parody; instead I get the best Trek film, period.

(I actually have seen the new film, and that awesome-cake with win-frosting must digest before comparing the two. It'd be a master's thesis comparing Karl Urban's and Alan Rickman's snark levels alone )

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    ...Actually, while we're here: Galaxy Quest, itself. I go in expecting a clever and loving parody; instead I get the best Trek film, period.
    I totally and completely agree. This movie left me with much the same impression that The Incredibles did. I went in expecting a few good laughs and a terribly broken story, but I came out astonished that the movie ended up being one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. Many hundreds of times better than I expected. I have since watched it about a thousand times. Fantastic!

"Go for the eyes or the throat...it's vulnerable spots!"

"It's a rock, it doesn't have any vulnerable spots!!!"
    Last edited by Webhead; 06-02-2009 at 12:16 AM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    "Go for the eyes or the throat...it's vulnerable spots!"

"It's a rock, it doesn't have any vulnerable spots!!!"
    "I know! You'll need to make a weapon. Look around; can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"

Sam Rockwell's delivery is genius, I tells ya.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like going to see the Disney movies with my kids because often what I expect is not what I get. They are pretty good and the have some pretty good adult humor smuggled in.

Expecially The Emperor's New Groove.
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a surprisingly good movie by Wesley Snipes called Disappearing Acts. It's kind of a chick-flick and there is no martial arts, but it is exceptionally good. Oh, and btw, the girl in the movie is pleasing to the eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast