Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Dark City: The Guild War

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dark City: The Guild War

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The History of the Game

The Dark City is campaign I have been running for sometime. I started with two main PC's and expanded new characters as players came and went. When I ended the games after almost 2 years I started a new game The Brooding City, which take place 25 years after the final events of the Dark City.

During the Dark City time line the main Characters had traveled to a pocket plane during their adventures. On their return, they found that five years had passed in their world.
    The purpose of this in the story was to advance The Master's Plans (antagonist in the Brooding City and introduced in Adventure 8 of Dark City.)

As the game progressed and players left and new ones came in (making their characters NPCs) the story arcs built around the PC's changed and adventure ideas, that were plentiful, took different directions to accommodate the taste of the group and the level of the PC's.

One of these story arcs was the Guild War, where the guilds began an aggressive move against each other. Originally conceived as dramatic story involving NPC's dying and shake-ups in the power structure, it was shelved mostly to accommodate the PC's power level and direction when the one of the core characters was retired (along with the player) and new players joined with a different play style.

The Guild War

The Guild War follows the adventures a group of talented footpads (low level members of the guild) who are recruited to perform duties by the officers to counteract a unknown and effective rival organization. Like my other games, the story is character focused and deals more with the internal struggle of the players rather than the actual main villains. This gives the players (and their characters) a vested interest in the story.

In my live games, I use a 50% roleplay and 50% combat or action. In this game it will fall more like 25% combat and 75% roleplay (Action).

Action refers to skill checks and character decisions like climbing, move silently, disarming traps, etc. Not everything a player does requires a skill check.

Unless otherwise noted, it is assumed that the PC's move stealthy in all situations, take care not to be seen, and constantly looking out for trouble.

The Game

Posting frequency -- One move a day. Moves will happen whether or not you participate. Players that move too infrequently will be moved by me or wandered off, after all, the city is big.

System is 3.5 D&D. Don't bother with any combat feats that require you have a map and minis in front of you.

Combat and skill checks when they happen will be by description and visualization, you tell me what you are doing, I roll the dice (if required) and give you the results. The reason is to keep the system as invisible as possible and to speed the resolution of the crunchy stuff that slows down play by post.

You should describe what your PC is doing by third person.
    (i.e Milo moves quietly towards the door.)

Use "" to indicate speech.
    (i.e. "I shall check out that door ahead")

When you need to specify a game convention preceded the post with OOC (Out of Character)
    (i.e. OCC: Will take 10 on search check)

Those other theives....

The idea behind the game is the group is a task force with persons of various skills and personalities. These "NPC" are actually the potential and future players for the game. They are controlled by me and function as needed. The crux of the story is around those actually playing. The thieves can perform various functions as needed for the story. The background thieves however cannot overshadow the PC's.

While the thieves are around, players can perform untrained skill checks with no rank modifiers. I use whatever the player giving the order says and that thief uses the players ability modifier to use the skill. These skills can also take 10 and 20. Such skills will include open locks and disable device. Thieves will never risk themselves overtly. If they are required to disable a device, then if they fail a PC will suffer the consequence. In case where that is not possible, the thief's failure may cause other harm (like alerting nearby guards).

When a PC appears that has ranks in such skills, that PC will be the one performing the task.
    Last edited by wizarddog; 06-06-2009 at 11:27 PM.