Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New 4th Ed CAMPAIGN! - Page 3
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: D&D 4th Ed
Style: 75% Roleplaying / 25% Combat
Current Players: 1
Desired # of Players: 6
Game Location N/A
Game Times Frequency: Weekly
Days of Week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Online Software Used: Open RPG
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Online Game
(Open RPG)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New 4th Ed CAMPAIGN!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Its too bad their play test rules for the new multi-class builds (I think Wizards termed it Hybrid classes) doesn't include the classes from PHB 2. It would be interesting to see what a Druid/Invoker would be like with those rules. As the multi-class is presented in the PHB its a little disappointing since you get so little from the second class early on.

I would pick the Avenger for you though. Just because I think its a neat class and I'd like to see it in action. Although you're probably looking for less selfish suggestions though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard they updated the rules in the may issues of dragon and it includes druids and invokers.

I don't have a subscription though, so I don't know what it would be like either .
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    All those ideas sound really great. Can't wait to see which you choose, so many classes so little time haha.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I heard they updated the rules in the may issues of dragon and it includes druids and invokers.

I don't have a subscription though, so I don't know what it would be like either .
    I have the subscription but so far all they've released for the hybrids were the classes from the first PHB. I'll have to check again and see if they've added anything else to it recently.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    of course it is a playtest, and I wouldn't use it w/out DM permission. If you have an account, here you go:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090525

It seems like you guys are equally interested in seeing the characters as I am.

As such, why don't you PM me and vote on which you'd rather see. Based off of the previous responses. In the DM's post, I am the "possible" gnome wizard. So discount that one.

From what I see,
    Solid: fighter
    Solid: bard
    Maybe: cleric/warlord
    Maybe: storm sorcerer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm totally down for this so count me in. Have to think about my character but possibly a dwarf paladin or cleric. Peace!
    Last edited by Bondish986; 06-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey flesh cattle.. er.. I mean brave adventurers!

A couple updates for ya as your peaceful, friendly DM.

1) We are doing Saturdays. Probably start meeting up and do a quick update about the previous weeks situation starting at around 5:30-5:45 PM, Eastern Time. Not really required to be there for then but I'd like to have about 30 minutes to start setting up and have everyone kinda wander in around 5:30. Around 6:00PM Eastern is when I hope to set as everyone being there for. That will be our official start time. We won't always play till Midnight, but I'd like to kinda promise we wont ever push past that unless everyone agrees cause we're having a great ol' time. So plan for Saturday nights around 6:00PM Eastern - 10/11:00 PM Eastern as our alloted time frames for Saturday nights. It may vary as we go. Hope everyone likes this. If not, let me know.

2) This brings me to my next point! This first Saturday coming up a couple of you have expressed as not being entirely great for so if anyone does wanna show up for it we can meet up on chat or something and kinda set up some back stories and get a little group together. Work out a lot of things that I need worked out. Now my problem is NEXT Saturday, June 20th. I have a wedding to attend during the day and doubt I'll be able to even make a later evening time. Sorry all.. shoulda remembered this earlier. So maybe we can bump it back or forward a day or two? Pick a new day for our introduction to play on that we can all agree on for one night?

3) I'm going to start requiring narrowed down character race and class as well as your first level information. I'm undecided on rolling or standard selection (or even point distribution) as our attribute decider. I personally prefer rolling. I'm sure you all know how it works but I like to add an addition set of 4d6 as a seventh set that you can swap out for your lowest. If anyone knows a program or chat or anything that allows public dice rolling, give me a holler. Need backstories as well and if any of you would like to take initiate and mingle in together hopefully we can kinda tie everyone up by each person knowing at least two other members of the party through something in the past. (Pleasant or painful )

Youkon; go ahead and play whatever you like. As long as you have a cool back story that fits in with everyone else, and everyone else in the party doesn't mind, I'm fine! After all, this is new for me (online) and I'm willing to cut loose and have some fun with it, if you all are.

Also.. Bondish: welcome to the team!

-JN
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Oh right.. also;

We've pretty much narrowed down to OpenRPG so if anyone has a need to learn anything about that bug Q Man He's our expert!

And as for classes.. yes, go for whatever you like but if you're ever torn between things try to lean on the side of PHB and PHB2

-JN (again)
    Last edited by Justanewbie; 06-10-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the chat and the forums on this site have dice rollers

I am fine with random attributes, but I can tell you the point buy in 4e actually works.

* attribute *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-10-2009 04:48 PM
    attribute: 4d6 (2,2,6,4 = 14)

Downloads
    Uploads

Game on!

Sounds awesome. This saturday actually doesn't work super well for me either, so I'm glad everyone is having issues (taking the gf to the "nice" restaurant lol). I'm down for a bit of introductions and such around 5:30 like justanewbie suggested though.

In games terms. I'll do point buy. I agree, with yukonhorror, it works well. I'll have a charsheet tomorrow...after my surgery exam lol. As well as some starting backstory.

In terms of race, I'm going human. I've never been quite so excited to play one!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm? curious

* attribute *

* attribute *

* attribute *

* attribute *

* attribute *

* attribute *

* attribute *

someone mentioned rogue. I know fox is doing a sorcerer, is the rogue still thinking rogue? I am still debating.

Seeing those rolls, I'd prefer 22 point buy too

Another mac user I just noticed. Does openRPG work on powerPC?
    Last edited by yukonhorror; 06-10-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-10-2009 05:14 PM
    attribute : 4d6 (4,2,4,4 = 14)
    attribute : 4d6 (1,4,3,2 = 10)
    attribute : 4d6 (6,4,1,3 = 14)
    attribute : 4d6 (1,4,5,4 = 14)
    attribute : 4d6 (4,4,5,3 = 16)
    attribute : 4d6 (2,6,4,3 = 15)
    attribute : 4d6 (4,4,2,6 = 16)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OpenRPG and stuff

OpenRPG is written in Python, so it does run on OS X. The downside is that the install is pretty complicated. I don't have a mac so I've never been through it. Here's a link with instructions for it and a forum thread that also talks about it.

For those of you using windows its pretty straight forward, grab this installer (don't get the one from openrpg.com or rpbobjects.com, they have an old link to an outdated version). When prompted agree to have it download and install Python. It will download all the files you need and install them. I recommend keepign everything in the default install paths, some of the components are sensitive about directories with spaces in the names.

Next question are there any other apps we are going to be using? Personally speaking, I'm ok with just typing into the chat to do all the RP, but I'm sure having something for voice (lke ventrilo or skype) might be preferable to others.

OpenRPG does allow us to create forms to store character sheets, but they aren't the prettiest things very functional though. Is there some other way we should store them for our friendly DM to have a look at them?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Q-man, I think something besides open RPG like skype would be beneficial.

Also, don't know if you have seen this, but its a pretty good and rather well updated tool for making a charater online, with option of printing out a char sheet at the end.

http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm

It doesn't have EVERYTHING, but you can always add something in at the "optional" slots, thats not stated specifically. I think it works pretty well. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't use skype. I m at work on sat so I can't use any talk. Just typing. I am curious to see how openrpg compares to maptools.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys.. got a kind of history/lore of the land you'll be doing the majority of your adventuring in as well as a quick (and slightly embarrassing) map of the terrain. I'll throw the text in now I suppose if anyone is interested and draw a shoddy version of the map in a minute just so you have a basic idea.

The North Western coast of Eidarth is a remote and quiet expanse known as Toblan. Once known for its fearsome barbarians and chivalrous knights, it has long since faded from glory and fame. Stories of heroes venturing forth from Toblan in the name of King Laopold to dispense justice and protection to the weak and are forgotten. Instead, adventurers and bold treasure seekers set out to pillage Laopold’s ancient kingdom in search of lost wealth and forgotten lore. Few of these adventurers manage to escape with their lives, let alone a reasonable plunder. With the dangers out weighing the rewards, the kingdom is beginning to fade into history; its fables buried in time.

The residents of this country are a sheltered lot. Knowing only their local history and residing within their town or city’s walls, they have had little to fear or concern themselves with aside from petty rivalries with neighboring villages. Outsiders are ignored at best, regardless of their race, and trusted only by the weight of their purses. The capital, Laopold, is named from an ancient king whose deeds are exaggerated traditions that can be seen as statues and plaques throughout cities and the countryside. Two other major cities inhabit the eastern plains with Laopold; Bravendurst to the North and Aurin to the east. Far to the west, marking the end of habitable terrain is the city of Shield’s Head. History marks it as a defensive location to deflect the Barbarians upon the Plains of Deadrin but any record of a battle or feud there is as old as the forgotten king. Villages and hamlets litter the rest of the country side, mostly sheltered within a reasonable triangulation of the cities. The citizens are born and raised within their respective locations and eventually perish peacefully (for the most part) without ever even dreaming of adventure. Traveling and trade is done by what brave men and women are produced in this land and few ever stray from the main roads and highways.

Any information on the wildlife and creatures inhabiting the unsettled areas in Toblan are found in worn journals and the boring sections of heroic tales. Barbarian nomads are said to travel the infertile Plains of Deadrin yet no one recalls ever encountering them. Orcs, goblins and other foul creatures can be found in the expansive Grogorin Mountains to the south and are rarely bold (or interested) enough to raid northwards out of their safe and comforting holes. The Barren Woods between Bravendurst and Laopold are said to be haunted and ought to be avoided by those unwilling to dispute the theory. The eastern border is guarded heavily by the rushing currents of the Murrin, a mysterious body of water that is constantly blanked by a heavy thick mist. Those who venture too near the fog claim to hear the rushing water singing a chilling ballad to suffering and death.

With few entrances into this withering country, save a break in the mountain range to the south or a dangerous journey over seas in the north, it is no wonder that few seem to enter and less tend to leave.

-JN

Update: Rough Map quickly done up in paint just to give you an idea of the terrain. (Excuse the rougness)

Last edited by Justanewbie; 06-10-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will say this about typing. By default OpenRPG will save the chatlog for you, so if your interested in a record of the session the more we get typed in the better that chatlog will work as such a record.

Its been my experience that using the chat for in character stuff and using the voice stuff for the out of character comments and questions works pretty well. You get a nice record and you don't bog down the session working out questions in text.

Again I'm partial to typing so it suits me well. For those that aren't speedy typers or aren't a fan of lots of typing this won't work as well. I'm easy with it though, whatever works for the group I'll adapt to.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast