BTW, for those in the playtest group, I think I was calculating damage wrong. To cite from my own document:
To calculate the number of Damage Points, compute the following:
- Count the number of points by which the attack roll succeeded, called the Success Margin.
- If the attack was not a ranged attack, divide the result in half rounded down. Rationale: in Melee, opponents roll a total of four dice, while in Ranged Combat, a shooter rolls only two dice against a fixed difficulty. Without this rule, dueling axes could be twice as deadly as duelling pistols.
- Add the weapon's Damage Bonus to the result.
- If the weapon is marked "Impaling", and the target neither alive nor a Walking Dead's head, divide the result in half rounded down again.
Since all guns are "impaling", I think I got the last step wrong. Of course, what this *really* means is that I need a simpler system. (I may not do "Days of Judgement" again, but I might need something similar for a FATE game I intend to run one of these days.)
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)