Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walter's POV

Downloads
    Uploads

Walter's POV

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    ooc: Too slow this week!

After being rescued by the timely intervention of Chobry's men, we joined them for a simple morning meal. Joining us was one of Chobry's right hand men, by the name of Hroald.

Conversation with that meal had far more undertones of heat and spice than the food itself. None of us trusted this Chobry or his men, and we hung on Hroald's every word as he gladly told his personal story.

Rana and Ely ended up whispering a tense discussion while at the meal, leaving me a bit discomfited at the breach of decorum. I had just finished quietly mentioning this to them when a representative of the Oath Protector strode in confidently. Wilhelm had been called.

The temple of Reanan proved to be an impressive sight in Old Daven, gleaming white and nearly glowing in the daylight as we approached.

Once we had been shown inside office of the Oath Protector Harnet, we described the evil artifacts found in Beckenhausen, and the dark ceremony we believed was connected to Ely's mother and her disappearance. We had little else to go on, and our conversation was soon interrupted. An acolyte of the temple needed to speak to the Oath protector, and was clearly quite stressed. Trying to listen in to their conversation led to nothing at the time, for all I could hear were broken words. It was only later that I found out from the rest of the party the nervous acolyte's depiction of the temple's financial difficulties, and the Oath Protectors calm response. I privately wondered what else might be done for the temple's works later.

After the acolyte was dismissed, Chobry himself appeared in order to speak to us. He came with quiet bitterness in his description of King Goderick and his activities as King of Daven. For myself, this did not bring me to trust Chobry more, for any nobleman, let alone one who called himself King, might behave in an excessively confident way.

Chobry had come not to simply complain about the King, but suggest a course of action. As he would tell it, he and King Goderick were at odds over acquiring weapons that might allow the city to purge the plague of undead. In essence, he wished us to journey to a castle in the Stonewall Mountains and retrieve the weapons, contrary to the will of King Goderick. Chobry believed these weapons would allow his men and those of the Temple of Reanan to cleanse the city completely. However, if we accepted his plan, it would mean participating in a plan to dethrone the King, and place Chobry's wife as Queen of Daven.

The Oath Protector agreed with Chobry's plan and suggestion, and such agreement seemed enough to sway the party. I could not help but be concerned over our involvement in a potential dynastic conflict. Chobry described a great many grievances against King Goderick's rule, but how were we to know that his hand would be any less clenched, or fist less tight? We could not after all know quite what he had said to Oath Protector Harnet, much as we might respect her judgment.

Given that the remainder of the party was willing, I accepted their decision. I could not be confident in Chobry, but it was much easier to trust the belief in the others that this would be for the greater good. Besides that, our presence and assistance with the Oath Protector and Temple in the event of Chobry's unreliability could be significant.

Chobry did also provide us with some interesting information on active cults of Gralsh. They may be just stories, but the report that such cult members may be be massing for an attack could explain or be related to Ely's mother's disappearance.

We left Chobry and the Oath Protector, and in our haste, neglected to take simple precautions. Openly seeking supplies for both Beckenhausen and our own journey was with hindsight a foolish error that may have alerted any interested to our future efforts.

Leaving Elder Daven, we were met by an unexpected individual. The man, Keirol Glamfurther by his account, had approached and spoken with us in a highly suspicious manner. After some confused replies, Brillara and I both offered the not untrue reply that we were simply headed to Beckenhausen with supplies. Keirol did not seem to believe us, but was allowed to accompany us there regardless. While traveling, Ely questioned him closely, and seemed confident enough to permit his continued company for the time.

At Beckenhausen we enjoyed the opportunity to rest and prepare for the much harder journey to the Stonewall Mountains. While there, we agreed to accept Keirol's offer to join us. I reasoned that we would gain nothing by sending him away, while any master he served would learn quickly of our movements, allowing Keirol and others to follow us with ease. Keirol himself seemed quite gregarious and personable, entertaining the Bishop of Heshtail with a potentially exaggerated story of his encounter with the dragon Sin Lord.

Barely having departed Beckenhausen, we were met by a pair of goblins. Monks, judging by their movements. The battle was hard fought, and Brillara in particular seemed targeted by their attacks. Alas, my magic failed to make an impression on our attackers. Through concerted attacks, the pair was defeated. Searching them over, we found several useful items imbued with magical power. Fortunately I was able to determine the amulet we discovered on one of the goblins was cursed and deadly to any but those of the goblin race. Praise Heshtail that none of us impulsively put it on!

As the sun began to set, it was decided that we would press forward until dawn. The threat of attack by undead in the darkness was enough to keep us from considering a guarded sleep.

As the moonless night fell, only the elven among us could see much beyond the next step on the road. Seeing a human figure shamble toward us, Rana readied her bow. As it approached, we could tell it was a ghast. The rotting corpse managed to utter a question to us, and was answered by a permanently silencing arrow shot.

We continued, the grinding pace at night becoming somewhat tiring, and the lack of sleep a concern to all but the elven. Shambling, rattling figures approached us again, three this time. The two owlbear skeletons and human zombie were brutal in their attack. After a blow from the fleshless paw of one of the owlbears, I knew nothing but silent darkness as the fight apparently raged around my fallen figure.

I returned to the waking world thanks to the aid of Rana and Wilhelm. The minor headache I gained accompanied me and was of some assistance in warding off the desire for sleep.

Dawn was not long in coming when we came upon a lone house in the darkness. As Rana and Heinrich went to investigate, the rest of us took to the brief rest with an uncontrollable sleep.

I awoke to the insistent scratching bats of a noisy feline. Immediately it was obvious that there was a battle ensuing with a vampire. Keirol acquitted himself well from what I could see, his flaming sword leaving the vampire covered in fire, with Ely shouting in enthusiasm for the creature to burn.

After the vampire fell into ashes, we investigated the cabin. The door and windows were boarded, but Ely was able to pry it open. The dark interior held many things, most importantly the coffin of the vampire we defeated. To ensure the complete destruction of the vampire, Heinrich took some flasks of lantern oil I had in my possession and had the entire cabin soon engulfed in flame.

Perhaps most interesting as I inspected the items found amid the vampire's possession was a Robe of Useful Items. Among the numerous things held within it, my surprise must have been nearly tangible at the removal of a live mule. The animal would certainly prove useful in the mountains.

By then however, dawn had arrived, and along with it a measure of security. The desire for sleep had to compete with little else before seeing satisfaction.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (Rana is less than thrilled about being called a lady )
    Rana struck the ghast down with HIS quarterstaff.
    Brillara struck one of the owlbears with an arrow from her bow to begin the 2nd battle.

(good luck with your tests paul!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro82 View Post
    (Rana is less than thrilled about being called a lady )
    Rana struck the ghast down with HIS quarterstaff.
    Brillara struck one of the owlbears with an arrow from her bow to begin the 2nd battle.

(good luck with your tests paul!)
    D'oh. I remembered that after posting, it's correct in Heinrich's version. I don't know why my brain defaults to Rana = female. Must be either an elf thing, or the name ending being feminine in Latin.

I'm guessing Walter doesn't make the same mistake when seeing Rana in person.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ely thinks that he is plotting to kill Rana because he mistaken called him a lady. Bring on the Inquisition!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal6 View Post
    Ely thinks that he is plotting to kill Rana because he mistaken called him a lady. Bring on the Inquisition!!!
    Hey, I didn't know Rana's gender ambiguity was a secret! But yes, Walter's hopes of dating Rana have been dashed and turned into silent burning rage at the deception. This might also spur him into developing a new spell: "Detect Gender".

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DUDE!

You should totally develop a "Detect Gender" spell...I would say that is 0 level.
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.
    Playing in the darkness. www.farlandworld.com
    "Dude, we totally play 1d4-2 Friday nights per month. More or less."

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Walter was a Wizard, I'd do it just for the amusement value. He doesn't have any open slots though... And Detect Gender might not be the most useful of arcane spells. Worth a scroll though. I wonder how much it'd sell for...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I might just give you an extra 0 level spell just for the role-playing value and entertainment value.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    I mean, an extra 0 level spell...that's funny? Go ahead
    And...it isn't too late to take a level in wizard. You'd have to go find a wizard to train you. That's why you're a sorcerer. But you and I oculd run that as a side adventure online if you want.
    That would be instead of your 4th level in Src...take a 1 level in Wiz. You're choice. Just so you know, your background levels don't count towards multi-class penalties.
    Last edited by DM_Running_Farland_3.5; 05-20-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Obviously it'd be of the Divination School... But another question, would Detect Gender be a ranged, or a touch spell?

Not that I think one would ever be able to explain why it was so important to shake the hand of a new acquaintance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With 0 level, it could be 5ft per caster level.

Divination school. That's fine. We could find something to do with that. After this adventure.
    p.s.
    THere is going to be too much snow in the passes. No going to the Stonewall mountains until spring.
    Everybody is going to be training in new levels, not just you.
    But...shhhh...don't tell anyone :-D
    Last edited by DM_Running_Farland_3.5; 05-20-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And...it isn't too late to take a level in wizard. You'd have to go find a wizard to train you. That's why you're a sorcerer. But you and I oculd run that as a side adventure online if you want.
    That would be instead of your 4th level in Src...take a 1 level in Wiz. You're choice. Just so you know, your background levels don't count towards multi-class penalties.
    Aha! That fits perfectly with what I was thinking about Beckenhausen. The place is heavy on clerics and fighters, no mages other than Walter. Being able to cast Detect Gender in taverns would be just a bonus...

I think I'll take you up on that. Walter's backstory fits a layer of wizard, and suits his personality. The fact that he remains focused as a Sorceror just means he isn't crippled without a spellbook...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, you're going to rework him to have a level of wizard? Or you are going to give him his fourth (6th) level as a wizard?
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I'll stick with his next level being wizard. A rework is tempting, but probably changes too much retroactively.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rock and roll. Do it up and send it to me. Do you have RedBlade on your laptop? Just send me the HTML.
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyg View Post
    Obviously it'd be of the Divination School... But another question, would Detect Gender be a ranged, or a touch spell?
    LOL when you said touch spell my mind went to a horrible place. Not much of a spell when you can grab their cash and prizes to determine their gender. UHHHH YEP THATS A WOMAN!

p.s. a Paladin who has been mistaken for a woman how many times now? You might want to cast detect gender on Ely before anyone else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast