Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: A fun-filled poll for your enjoyment. You can pick more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evil against good? Not happening.

4 6.45%
  • Evil against good? Sounds interesting.

29 46.77%
  • Evil against good? Sounds challenging.

11 17.74%
  • I think i will continue playing on the side against Chaos. Thank you.

9 14.52%
  • Skaven: They have classes designed for them? Cool.

5 8.06%
  • I'd play in such a campaign if offered the opportunity.

31 50.00%
  • Other. For there is always an "other."

15 24.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WFRP: Playing the Evil races. Please see thead for details.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up WFRP: Playing the Evil races. Please see thead for details.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    There was a dnd module out years ago that gave a different perspective on good and bad. For each side sees the other as evil.

So, thinking it would be great fun, i started running, and designing campaigns-parties-to go against the humans, and the other goodly races in the WFRP world.

Probably the most popular race played in my campaigns were the Skaven races with their mysterious Skaven magic. There are, after all, classes already designed for said race which can easily be found on the net for with a little searching. Maps of the Skaven Underworld can even be found in the the armies books. I believe that's where i found them, i have to look at my notes.

Another race i have tested and played extensively were the Gobbos and their Waaargh magic, but back to the Skaven.

I'll admit, these are advanced games that should be played by knowledgeable players of the old world, but done right, is an incredible blast.

How many other WFRP players have taken the leap to have parties play the other side against the eeeeevil humannsessss?

For me it was a huge success, and i would like any other WFRP gamer to share opinions, questions, and/or experiences.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow Musing of an Ole Man

I am one of the other votes, you forgot evil vs evil. That happens alot, and though I did not play it one of my DM's has a Drow
    Adventure homebrew, house vs house. It sounded good, but DL always won out back then.

Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try this on for size...

Thoth...

Many moons ago we were bored with the standard triad of fantasy races (human, elf, dwarf) so we designed several racial variants for WFRP, lizardmen, dark elves, beastmen and ogres...the point of my story is we played as ogre mercenaries for one of the elector counts, that worked out well enough for at least a few skirmish hack and slash games...Although it was balanced enough for the rules, it got a little boring pounding everything into dust all the time. One of us was a leadbelcher gunner, another was just a hunter, and the last was an ironguts variant. We were working on a dark elf corsair campaign, before we moved onto something else...unfortunately WFRP doesn't really lend itself to playing off beat, sinister races...you might want to consider chaos dwarves...
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Samedi View Post
    Thoth...

Many moons ago we were bored with the standard triad of fantasy races (human, elf, dwarf) so we designed several racial variants for WFRP, lizardmen, dark elves, beastmen and ogres...the point of my story is we played as ogre mercenaries for one of the elector counts, that worked out well enough for at least a few skirmish hack and slash games...Although it was balanced enough for the rules, it got a little boring pounding everything into dust all the time. One of us was a leadbelcher gunner, another was just a hunter, and the last was an ironguts variant. We were working on a dark elf corsair campaign, before we moved onto something else...unfortunately WFRP doesn't really lend itself to playing off beat, sinister races...you might want to consider chaos dwarves...
    Very cool. I think if done right, WFRP excels with offbeat sinister races. I have run the chaos dwarves before, but the party found other chaos races more to their enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
    I am one of the other votes, you forgot evil vs evil. That happens alot, and though I did not play it one of my DM's has a Drow
    Adventure homebrew, house vs house. It sounded good, but DL always won out back then.

Damn! I forgot that one. You know, when creating the poll i knew i was missing something, but i couldn't put my finger on it.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though it tramples on another franchise, a vampire-based campaign sounds interesting. I think Night's Dark Masters even has vampire-related careers, although I'm too lazy to look. Apart from the usual angst, vampires are also, in their curious way, opposed to Chaos: they'd prefer everything remained exactly the same for ever and ever.

I'd consider other undead, but Wights, Wraiths, and Tomb Kings lead singularly dull lives, not to mention Skeletons and Zombies.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    There was a dnd module out years ago that gave a different perspective on good and bad. For each side sees the other as evil.

...snip...

What share you?
    the module you are thinking of is the "reverse dungeon". quite the fun one at that.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's also "The Ebon Mirror", in which adventurers literally go through the looking-glass to a world where peaceful orcs, goblins, and ogres suffer from the rampages of humans, elves, and dwarves ... and the "blessed dead", humans returned to unlife to pay for their wickedness, defend goblinoids against human evil.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always thought that most, if not all RPG's classify evil incorrectly. A lot of "evil" beings seem to me to be more just looking out for their self interest and trying to survive in a world over-run with those "human" creatures.
    "Scary Monsters" Unknown Technician

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no idea what WFRP means, but the fourth choice makes no sense unless it's a game of "Democracy vs. Tyranny", "Freedom vs. Oppression" , and so on.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    warhammer fantasy roleplay

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    warhammer fantasy roleplay
    Yup, image D&D with a heavy dose of reality thrown in. Not reality as in no magik, reality as in harder to survive, a character being physically maimed for the rest of its life is a strong possibility, survival of the lower classes is not easy, you are not automatically one of four basic job descriptions, etc.. A much better game IMHO.
    "Scary Monsters" Unknown Technician

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always referred to it to my dnd players as dnd on evil steroids.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved games where you got to play evil races and do things that way. I think my fav was the evil races of WHFRP. We had a Skaven, a sneeky little gobo, whom orks would never trust, Lemer, and I had a vampiric necromancer from Elustria (the home of the lillian vamps mind gone blank fro work overlaod.) But that was one of the best games ever. I think it was far mroe entertaining than the common good guys games everyone else plays.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Though not standard, any race in my world can be played with the right story. The difficulty is often not in playing an evil race but in being evil. If the character is not in a party that coincides with their outlook, it wont matter. If the bias against the species can be overcome by the players because they are an exception, then you still have to overcome society at large. In my world, half breeds are not welcome in many places, and half breed or full of an "evil" race would be feared and driven out of a lot of places. That said, i've had my share of Orrish (Ogre, Orc, Goblin, etc.) as a PC - mostly hardened from their upbringing and mean, but not following the evil of their species culture. Its fun trying to play a character fighting against their baser intincts. Its just as fun giving in to them though - its just has to fit the campaign...

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran a campaign back in the 80s in which the characters were champions of several humanoid clans who worked together to protect their lands from humans from a nearby stronghold. The humans had built the stronghold as a base for clearing out the surrounding lands and establishing human settlements. The humans were not "evil" in game terms, but were definitely imperialistic and had no problem exterminating the "hordes of verminous monsters" in "their" domain.
    The campaign ran for quite sometime with the players eventually having to give up their original goal of killing of the humans and destroying their stronghold and instead leading their people to a new home.
    One big effect of the campaign was the influence it had on the players in later campaigns when they were playing "good" characters. It greatly decreased the "the only good evil monster is a dead evil monster" attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast