Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Movie Is Better???

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which Movie Is Better???

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Okay so I haven't really been to the movies much at all in the past year, but the summer lineup always makes me make a point of getting there. This question is about this summers first 2 blockbuster films to come out so far. So here it is. Which movie is better? X-Men Origins:Wolverine or Star Trek? Why?

I've seen both and I can say honestly and easily, even though I am a huge X-Men fan, the new Star Trek movie is hands down better. I am not a very big Star Trek fan and never really have been, but this movie is completely awesome! Both movies are great flicks, but if you're only gonna see 1 in the theaters and you cant decide. I will save you some time....GO SEE STAR TREK!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    X-Men ruined my childhood memories.

Star Trek helped me move on from the, "My....God....Spock....I'm....The....Most.....Incr edible.....Captain.....Ever!"
    "And then you wake up."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a fan of both, ST wins. I have the original Weapon X comics and Barry Windsor-Smith is one of my favorite artists of all time... so Wolverine just peed all over that. Bad Wolverine! *swat*

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lol I don't think it was horrible. I did like the Wolverine movie, but Star Trek was sooooo much better. What a great movie I am itching to see it again

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both were good movies that will piss off a lot of fans by diverging sharply from the source material. Star Trek had the decency to explain it though- as Uhura says in a bridge scene, "An alternate universe". Which is a pretty common thing in Star Trek, so I feel they satisfied their obligations to the fans without having to make the same sort of movie that killed the franchise.

Spoilers ahead yo.

Wolverine had no such decency. The supporting characters were so radically altered that some of them could be argued to not have made an appearance on the big screen yet. Was that supposed to be Emma Frost? She was named Emma, blond, and could transform into diamond, but her sister was Native, she didn't seem to be a telepath, and when the writers were actually justified in having a gorgeous, scantily-clad woman on screen, they cast someone with a hard-angled face, gave her a short haircut and put her in prison fatigues. Did the people who made this movie actually read a comic book at some point ever?

Sabertooth being Wolverine's brother is another doozy. It's a working formula for comic book movies these days- instead of wasting time on the villain's origin, give him the same origin as the hero- Iron Man fights Iron Monger. Hulk fights Abomination. Wolverine fights Sabertooth. But it's getting old. Hopefully, if the Avengers movie gets made, the team won't just be squaring off against mirror images of themselves...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    Sabertooth being Wolverine's brother is another doozy. It's a working formula for comic book movies these days- instead of wasting time on the villain's origin, give him the same origin as the hero- Iron Man fights Iron Monger. Hulk fights Abomination. Wolverine fights Sabertooth. But it's getting old. Hopefully, if the Avengers movie gets made, the team won't just be squaring off against mirror images of themselves...
    It is actually never proven that they aren't brothers in the comic book. And the new writers have eluded to the notion as being true. The original idea was that Sabertooth was Wolverines father in the comic books, one comic in which Sabertooth actually states that Wolverine will become what Sabertooth is and he knows that because he is Wolverines father. There was testing in a later comic that revealed that they werent father and son, but that they did share a genetic similarity(related). It has never been delved into, but there are writers tied to the project that say there is something to the brother notion...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to dissappoint everyone, but I must go with The Princess Bride.
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.
    Playing in the darkness. www.farlandworld.com
    "Dude, we totally play 1d4-2 Friday nights per month. More or less."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that is a classic. I havent watched that in a while

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In a while? What are you talking about? It just came out on Friday.

I'll tell you what, that Andre the Giant guy is awesome! He should do MMA.
    The Big.
    The Bad.
    The Ben.
    Playing in the darkness. www.farlandworld.com
    "Dude, we totally play 1d4-2 Friday nights per month. More or less."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yea well he might be doing MMA in the sky

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree that Trek was the best of the two. While I'm not that familar with the Wolverine origin, I know that it was changed, but they changed Trek as well.

Course, when I go to a movie that is made from a book or some other source, I don't expect the people doing the movie to follow the source to the letter. But even though I like the Trek movie better, I'm more disturbed by the changes to it than I am by Wolverine.

One thing that would have won more points for me with Trek would have been a better engineering section of the ship. It bothered me the most that you have this 23rd century looking bridge, but then you go down to the engine room and it looks to me like a 19th to 20th century ocean going ship!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lol I noticed that too Skunk! It was like the set designers got tired after the bridge and they were like, "huh? the engine room? ugggggh! just throw something together quick"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am going to say Trek. Not because it was awesome but because the wolverine movie was increasingly flawed
    1) Sabertooth apparently gets stupid as the series progresses
    2) Again Wolvie is too tall
    3) Victor CREED
    4) Deadpool can teleport says what?
    5) How did they know the bullet was going to erase his memories and not just scramble his brain into yoke?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Killwatch View Post
    5) How did they know the bullet was going to erase his memories and not just scramble his brain into yoke?
    It did scramble his brain into yolk. Then it grew back, but the memories don't grow back.

It's a good thing he was shot in the "specific memories" section though, and not the "basic motor skills" section or the "can speak English" section... It would have sucked for him if he forgot how to talk or stand up...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    but as a mutant with the special power of regeneration would it have truly mattered in which part of his brain he was shot? Regardless of where the bullet went, his brain would have regenerated anything that was damaged. His memory was the only thing that could have been dramatically affected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast