Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In to the Underdark, from the musings of an Old Man

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken meets the Stranger

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Thoriken looks suspiciously at the bound man and in a gruff voice asks, “Stranger, ye might not want to screw around too much” as the mans feeble attempts at righting himself fail utterly. “Ye are hurt already,” almost as an afterthought, knowing he was lucky enough to be alive especially given his fairly numerous wounds.

"Where am I, I don't remember much..." replies the man after he rights himself.

“Ye be in the Underdark” replies the dwarf in a matter of fact tone.

"I remember falling, I must have taken a bad step..." as if the memory is vague and broken.

“And ye was hurt, I healed ye only so as I could get a few answers. Had a nasty bird suckin ye dry, I took it out also,” as he continued to stare at the man with suspicious eyes, expecting him to reveal his true nature in moments.

“What do you wish to know?” as the man has resigned himself to the fact that he will never get free unless he answers his captor.

“So who are ye to be invadin my area and what are ye?”

"I'm a simple hunter on the peaks, tracking some elk when I was startled by some Orcs. They were about me before I could hide well enough so I began running. I must have not been looking where I was going."

“How come ye smell of de forge then?”

"I am human... at least that’s what I acknowledge."

“Why are ye ears lookin strange? What settlement ye from?”

"A curse from my father’s ilk, nothing I am proud of... and for me smelling of the forge I have no idea. I have never even been near a forge. I trade in Loudwater, Llorrk, and Orlbar. Wherever I am near when I collect enough pelts and goods to trade. Am I still within the Greypeaks?"

“Well as ye can see with ye eyes I am a dwarf and I know what a forge smell is, if ye going to lie it had better be better, I have no use for liars and yay ye are still within the peaks.”

“I have truly no idea what you are talking about. I am a hunter, where would I be near a forge in 20 miles? I have no desire to tell you anything untrue, but I have no idea what you mean. I promise."

Young Thoriken has a sudden revelation, Moradin brought him to this stranger, now if he could figure out why.

“Orcs huh, did you see what tribe?”

"No, I realized I was surrounded and behind their lines, so I tried to make a break through a ravine"

“Can I have ye word you won't try anything? I'll loosen ye ropes and feed ye some rations.”

"On my honor, you have nothing to fear from me, I swear it."

“Behind their lines, grrr, sounds like an army, how many ye see?”

“There were at least a few score, maybe 20, but I could sense quite a bit more.”

Thoriken ensures that he is between the man and any weapons, and then loosens the bindings. “Well here is some food, if ye need more rest before we start out get it now.”

He nods in thanks, taking some water and eating some rations while he continues the conversation. "I think my leg is broke. I can't move it."

“Ye need to report to Illethkeep.”

“Where is that? Loudwater is the closest place to here.”

“Nay, stranger it is the out post for my stead and I ain't takin ye to the stead proper.”

“I have seen no signs of a stead anywhere in these peaks...”

“Ye don't look so good do ye? Been here for eons.”

“I thought them lost to the lich lords...I guess I never thought anyone was here, so I never looked for the signs.”

“I can set ye leg and heal ye some more in a bit, if ye let me. Liche lords don't hold a miners waste here.”

“I would appreciate whatever you could do. I doubt I would make it far as I am. Wow, that’s why there are no humans in these peaks, they fall under their spell and disappear.”

Thoriken sets the strangers leg, and then prays to Moradin to set watch over them as they rest and relaxes as a noble wyvern appears to his senses just at the outskirts of the camp.

“I have some of my fathers cursed elven blood and it seems to not affect me.”

“Now I need some time to rest, ye better also. My Lords watch will alert us if needed.”

“I appreciate your kind assistance. I would feel better knowing I have some Friends in this area. It’s a bit barren and Friends here are few and far between.”

“What be ye name? Stranger, I am Thoriken, Moradin's Avenger, and I'll let ya know when to consider me a friend, till then....”

“I am Galas of the Vale, hunter amongst the peaks.”

“Well met Galas, but I warn ye now, I will have vengeance if ye give me a reason.”

“Well met indeed, goodly Thoriken and I shall heed your warning well. I have seen what the stout folk are capable of and need no lesson," with a smile.

“Well I need some time to me self.”

"Yes my body still seems to need the same" He seems a bit unsteady, but he can walk, “I thank you Thoriken, you are a good soul to help one such as me, and many would not have done what you have.”

“Ye can't learn anything for a corpse Galas, don't be too pleased yet"

“I'll remember that and try to avoid any more holes in the future.”

“Ye still have to do some explaining to the Capt o Guards at Illethkeep and that may not go over so well as strangers are not looked upon favorably around here.”
    Last edited by Windstar; 06-11-2009 at 05:13 AM.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

"Prepare ye self Galas, this will not be as easy getting out as it was for you dropping in as ye did"

Thoriken moves slowly around the bottom of the fissure assaying the rise of the walls contemplating where to make the climb. After several minutes of study he slowly starts climbing the fissures face placing pitons into it as needed and tying off the rope so that Galas will be able to follow.

They emerge into the soft mountain morning with the rising sun seemingly caught by the mountain tops to the east encircled by a halo of clouds. Thoriken has to pause for a few to gather his wits after so long a period in the tight underdark passages he wanders protecting and avenging his beloved stead. Shortly, he turns to the southwest and slowly, cautiously he makes his way toward Illethkeep with Galas in tow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a smiling manner, "I can honestly tell you that I never expected to find anyone in these mounts. I had heard rumors the stout folk once dwelt here, a handful of kingdoms, if my memory serves. Have you ever heard of Klangendsturm?" as he seemingly trips over the word.

The peaks are never what one might call forgiving, any misstep might quickly plunge oneself from a precipice or down a boulder strewn gorge. The view is breathtaking indeed, should one find it as such. There is a sense that one is quite alone here, as if they were the first to see this place.

As the time grows eventually Thoriken knows that just one last turn of the peak should bring Illethkeep into view in all its magnificence.

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

Cautionly approaching the summit Thoriken turns to Galas "We will take a break once we top the summit and can see Illthkeep, and head down down in the morning"

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

Thoriken and Galas move thru the rugged mountain landscape, working harder at not being seen than at climbing. Hearing the sounds of a brook, Thoriken turns slightly downhill in order to stay upwind of the rumbling brook, signaling to Galas that they would take a break there. Slowly approaching the brook, Thoriken carefully listens to the sounds of the open world, so much different than the sounds of the underdark, crickets, birds, frogs and many other sounds he had forgotten since his last trip to the surface. As he and Galas approach the brook, Galas signals to him to stop.

"Master Dwarf, there is someone upstream from us" he whispers slowly into Thorikens ear.
    "Are ye sure?" Thorikens queries.
    "Yea, I am positive, there is too much cloudiness in the water"
    "Follow me, and be as quiet as your huge feet can be"

They slowly work their way upstream till they see a small clearing and pause, in the clearing is a solitary Dwarven muleskinner, building a cairn out of rocks from the brook.

Thoriken signals Galas to stay and boldly steps out in to the view of the other dwarf.

"Hail Asbjørn, I am Thoriken the Avenger of Moradin, though you may if ye be sober enough, remember me as the acolyte of Moradin that had to patch ye up after a fight or three. well it may have been more, got outa hand at the "Broken Barrel" Thoriken Atticahammer." He boldly but quietly states to Asbjørn.
    Last edited by Windstar; 07-30-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dirty and disheveled dwarf turned about looking a bit bewildered and surprised. He did not draw any weapons even though they lay within easy reach. A serene calm surrounded the cairn and you could clearly see a crude hammer at its zenith.

"Are ye a sign?" in a whispered and reverent tone.

Seeming to shake his head, he replies again more clearly, "I remember ye, but I fear me memory is a bit hazy in spots. What are ye about in dese peaks, other then us skinners ain't none that wander here..." With a look that suggests he is either having delusions or something quite strange is afoot to have encountered anything in this area, much less a dwarf.

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

Well me spirit loving friend I have dire news, the hold area is a wash with grubby Orcs, I have a human ranger with me that I resuced from some stirges. He says there are lots of the pesky things moving around the mountains in groups. We need to get him to the Keep so as he can make a report, will ye help us?

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Where?" as he makes a quick grab for his wooden club. He begins to start looking about the area with a new sense of purpose. He had seen many things up in the mountains, but had only heard of armies of orcs in legend. Just one or two were tough enough and thinking about an army sent shivers down his spine.

"Human? Never seen one o' them fore. You sure 'bout taking him to Illethkeep? You know any of the folk there? They can be a might touchy when it comes to approaching them, 'specially from the outside..." as he looks somewhat uncertain how to proceed.

With a deep breath out, he seems to have made up his mind and adds, "I know a few. They might listen ta me iff'n I approach em right. So where in the hells are ye keeping this here man fella at?"

"And what' a ranger?"

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

"Galas! ye listenin big foot" Thoriken calls, "it is a friend and he would like ta meet ye"

Thoriken awaits at the edge moving forward just enough to let Galas get out of the brush.

"This my fellow is a Human Ranger,by the name of Galas, they are the folk who hunt for the local villagers an protext the forests, I have been told, and this one fell into my realm in the underdark aways from the hold. I figured it would be faster to come above and cut across to the Keep" Thoriken explained.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From behind some cover steps the lithe man, still a bit dirty and disheveled from the fall. He starts forward hesitantly having only heard pieces of the conversation.

"Well met, my name is Galas," as he approaches the pair.

Asbjørn looks at the man in wonder, having never seen anyone as tall. "What is it you speak to it?" in the dwarven tongue. "I think its sick, it has no meat on its bones..." in a somewhat disgusted manner. He had never heard such talk in his life. Occasionally some of the skinners might speak in that grunting sound they called Goblin, but he had never had the desire to learn it. Now he began to think that that might have been something he would regret.

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

"My fellow dwarf it is the trade language, ye don't know it? And as I told ye he is human, big feet and gangly body, he is also a little rough around the edges from his fallin into the chasm, but he will not hurt ye"

Thoriken looks around the open glade, "Are ye finished here? It is a fitting tribute to Our Father ye have constructed here Asbjørn , I am sure he is extremely proud of ye, I can feel his power flowing on the air currents. But, we need to move, if what our tall and ugly friend here is tellin us is true then we need ta hurry along."

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Aye, you are right on movin'," as he begins walking the same way you were originally headed. He wears little more then furs and most of his gear appears to be hand made and somewhat shabby.

"Trade? No one in the stead speaks that bird talk..." in a mutter as he leads the way. "Hope we run into a few o' them orcs though, I hear they got's green skin and are twenty feet tall if an inch. I bet a green leather cloak would get me some good trade..." as he trails off in thought.

"What is he saying?" says Galas whom is trying to keep up with you, but occasionally stumbling in the dark.

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

Thoiken falls easily inline behind surly dwarf trying to listen to the sounds around them, both him and the gangly human, finally exasperated he turns to Galas, "Hush, if he says something important I'll tell ye! First we gotta live long enough to get to the Keep, right now we need quiet!"

Thinking to himself, one lost, battered and hurt human and a usually drunk dwarven muleskinner that may have found hisself finally, what has me lord Moradin gotten me into.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    The muleskinner leads you about, taking some paths that seen clearly marked whilst others have no resemblance to anything traveled in centuries. Over boulders and around bracken, across streams and amid huge stones.

"Me own fav'rite spiot to see da keep. It'll shake ya to da core,"* in anticipation of the view. Just after a few more high stones the path turns down, but the mountainside comes into sight. The doors that mark the keep stand agape, while battle towers and sentry paths high on both sides teem with dwarves in regiment. From this distance you can hear the slight sound of dwarven voices being carried on the winds. Very few have ever beheld the magnificents of the entrance to Uerythtar and you stand in awe.

"How did I ever miss this..." says Galas in a bewildered voice. "I really had no idea anyone lived in these mounts."

"What the hell is he on about?"* assuming the human is speaking ill about his beloved keep.

(*- Dwarven)

Downloads
    Uploads

Young Thoriken

Having spent most of his years in the underdark thoriken finds the scene extremely breath taking and and has to gather his thoughts before he recognizes the tone in hie fellows voice.

"Hold Asbjørn, he is as spellbound by the wonder as ye were the first time ye seen this sight"*

"Galas, so ye really didn't know of this vale, well I am not surprized, most of ye big folk be too high & mighty most times to see all the beauty that lays around ye's"

(* = Dwarven)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast