Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73

Thread: In to the Underdark, from the musings of an Old Man

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    In to the Underdark, from the musings of an Old Man

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Large ancient doors stand looming into the darkness of the mineshaft, long ago forgotten even by those that call this stead home. A whistling wind is evidence to the doors being open, but for how long is unknown. The doors themselves are made of stone, hard and uncut as is the arch that supports them. Upon them both are ancient glyphs, Dethek by your torchlight. The script and style are old indeed and its meaning seems lost to the ages.

    It seems that it has withstood the perils of time well, obviously meticulously crafted by master masons. As you look over the runes what you do seem to make out is some sort of reference to Netheryl Channel or something similar. One set of runes appear to be much more recent, carved quite some time after the others and although old are more understandable.

    "What was once a well spring of trade has become a vein of evil. Cursed is this road. Beware..."

    From the other side of the slightly open stone door comes a shriek far into the distance echoing and cloaking its origin, as if in warning. Who had opened these doors and why? Who made this Channel and what purpose did it serve? Why was it forgotten?

    He dedicated the site in the lowest levels in memory of the fall warriors and with vengence in mind he dedicated to Moradin a monestary to train Avengers. For 100 years he allowed only those individuals sent to him by Moradin into his service training them as per the visons granted him, after they are fully trained he sent some into the Underdark to wreck vengence upon those that dared defile the great Hold above. He has retained only those that have returned after a period in the Underdark, so that at anytime there is no more than 35 dwarves in residence and none but his followers know of the monestaies existance.

    This is of course for when you go to 4e, but I thought you may enjoy it.
    Ok, here is how I see it going.

    He awakens slowly, pain throbbing through out his body, he vaguely remembers a battle. They were ambushed a short distance from the tunnel exit to Netheril.

    Torel Deldar, last of the Clan Hammerswift, a fledgling thief and scout of the Uerythtar Stead. An accounting of his last days as a true member of the Stead.

    As he slowly comes around and starts to get his bearings, he realizes that most of his patrol is scattered around him. They have defiled and stripped of all items of any value. He slowly rises and takes stock of his situation, no armor, no weapon, in the Underdark. He starts checking the bodies of his comrades, arraigning them is order to identify and prepare to transport them back. For he knows another patrol will pass and recover them. He finds that 2 are missing, he feels the pull of something away from the stead, to search for his lost comrades. Never a religious type he falters for awhile before deciding to follow the feeling within his being.

    He gathers his wits and slowly descends into the depths. After a short time he comes upon Drow Parties trail that seems to have two others with them, he slowly tracks them till he grows weary, searching for and finding a small enclave to hide in he attempts to rest. As he slumbers he dreams of a chamber that has needed supplies within, as he awakens he sees in his mind eye a grand personage holding forth a hammer and pointing in the western direction, back from whence he just came. He rises cold, thirsty and hungry. He ignores the dream intent on finding his comrades. After three days of travel he is lost and having visions, finally he decides to follow the visions as he has given up hope of surviving or finding his comrades. Following the visage of an old dwarf he passes out as they enter a large circular chamber. When he awakes there is an old dwarf seated in front of him holding a small chest, old dwarf tells him "Torel ye must avenge the Stead in the name of Moradin. "How will I do that Ole One?" The old dwarf states " Ye have the desire, heart and faith, now ye must learn the ways, read these scrolls and ye will become the avenging hammer of Moradin. Once ye have learned the ways of the hammer of faith, ye will go forth into the Underdark and slay those that defile our Lords workings." He hands the lad the chest and slowly disappears. He rises and opens the chest, inside is several scrolls, 2 warhammers (one for the alter and one to use) and 4 throwing hammers. No armor is needed for an Avenger of the Hammer, the first scroll says in the opening paragraph. The scrolls show him how he is to fight and how to remodel the chamber for use as a monastery for Moradin. After he sets up the alter and starts learning that first day he finds food upon the alter.

    Torel studies for almost 2 years before he makes his first jaunt into the Underdark, when he exits the secret chamber he finds he just outside of the tunnel doors leading to Netheril and that as moves from the opening he can not see it unless he is standing next to it.

    After several years of making jaunts into the Underdark he returns one day to the monastery and there is a young dwarf awaiting for him. "How did ye come to be here?" asks Torel. "Moradin has sent me to be trained by ye" the young dwarf says. It is rumored in the Stead of an avenging hammer of Moradin, several Drow and derro captives have spoken of the ghost warrior that attacks them sometimes. "Last night as I slept, Moradin called me to his service, showing me how to get here and not to tell anyone what I was doing."

    This is the original "Avenger of Moradin" having trained the first of his charges he is preparing to go back into the Underdark in service to his liege. Look for more adventures in the Underdark soon.


    Torel Deldar of Clan Swifthammer, level 5
    Dwarf, Avenger
    Build: Pursuing Avenger
    Avenger's Censure: Censure of Retribution
    Background: Gray Vale

    FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 14, Dex 17, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 8.

    STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 8.


    AC: 20 Fort: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 17
    HP: 52 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 13

    TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +8, Stealth +10, Perception +13, Endurance +11

    UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +5, Arcana +3, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +6, History +3, Insight +6, Intimidate +1, Nature +6, Streetwise +1, Thievery +5, Athletics +3

    FEATS
    Level 1: Improved Armor of Faith
    Level 2: Dwarven Weapon Training
    Level 4: Alertness

    POWERS
    Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Retribution
    Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
    Avenger encounter 1: Pass at Arms
    Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
    Avenger utility 2: Far Sight
    Avenger encounter 3: Fury's Advance
    Avenger daily 5: Oath of Righteous Fury

    ITEMS
    Bloodthread Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol, Rousing Hammer Warhammer +2, Adamantine Throwing hammer +2 (2), Climber's Kit
    Last edited by Windstar; 09-20-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  2. #2
    Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Under-Inland Empire
    Posts
    9,474
    Blog Entries
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Windstar,

    Loving the Underdark theme. Let me encourage you to keep going with this.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 09-02-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    Further Musings

    One Month Earlier:
     
    Moradin senses mischief from the spider wench once again, as he focuses down he sees that his chosen Avenger is still patrolling the Underdark and making it rough on the Drow patrols. "Mmmm, I feel he needs some assistance." He refocuses upon his favored Stead and sees that it is doing well coming back into the fold with the rest of Toril. He looks into his clergy and finds a young dwarf, he knows that the foundling has had a shady past but has done well as an acolyte, "Young Thoriken will do nicely". He sends a vision to Balabault Tethgard
    the high priest and the leather armorer so that they can prepare for the loss of the foundling.
     
    That Morning:
    Thoriken sat bolt upright knowing, with out quite knowing why, that his life had just changed. He had to see the priest, "But what do I say? I am not allowed to explain, mmm" he wonders. As he is getting dressed the Senior Acolyte enters his cell "Ye are to report to the High Priest as soon as ye are dressed" the acolyte says, Thoriken stares at him, "Don't just gawk foundling, MOVE!" hisses the acolyte "Ye can not make him wait for ye!".
    Thoriken, stunned, hurriedly dresses and heads out to the High Priest's office. As he arrives he sees one of the senior Priests and stops, "Don't just stand there foundling enter" says the priest "I will tell him ye are here." Thoriken enters the outer office and stands near the door, not sure if should sit or run.
    "Go on in" the priest says as he exits the office of the High Priest. Thoriken swallows hard and wonders what he has done, now that the dream and the reality are starting to merge. He enters the High Priest's office slowly, moving up to the desk, "I know not what you've done or where you are going, but our liege Lord Moradin has made it known to me that I am not to interfere, now go...."
    There is a knock on the door and the senior Priest sticks his head in "M'Lord I am sorry to disturb you, but there is a package just arrived for the foundling M'Lord."
    "Well bring it in, now foundling as I was saying, in whatever it is the liege Lord has you do I trust, no, I expect you to hold yourself to highest standards that we have taught you and do not bring any disgrace upon us. Do I make myself clear foundling?" The High Priest replies.
    "Yes your imminence I fully understand." Thoriken manages to say
    "Good, now what in thunder is that package?"
    Thoriken shakily opens it and finds "It is a set of Leathers, embossed with a strange looking hammer, Sir" For upon the front of the armor is a hammer of Moradin being grasped by a hand, as if the hand were swinging the hammer.
    The High Priest says nothing, shaking his head, he just motions for Thoriken to leave.
    Heading back to his cell the Senior Acolyte tells him he has 10 minutes to pack up and leave. Thoriken wonders why me, as he packs and heads out to the lower levels, looking for something he is not sure he wants to find, but his faith in Moradin helps him along..............
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    367
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Your exit is quiet and although you can see some familiar faces, they seem to avoid your presence. Perhaps it is fear or disdain, you seem unaware of whatever is affecting those whom you have grown to know well over your time. As you reach the exit to your orders inner sanctum, the halls seem more ominous and aware. Your silent steps seeming to echo in the hall, though you guess it is more attributed to your own anxiety and not anything else. The darkness slowly begins to shift in your vision. The heat signatures coalescing from the stone and the soft distant winds from the bellows of Toril washing around you.

    Your path is well known to you, having tread it many a time. This world is your calling, its denizens your purpose. As you approach the gargantuan doors leading into the ancient dwarven tunnel, a cold and unaccustomed wind blows across your face. What challenges lie ahead seems uncertain and only your faith seems to hold you fast.

    The tunnel lies silent as you enter. You have explored some amount, though the others within your order have journeyed through much more of it. You are keenly aware of the dangers that lie behind every turn, each just as deadly for those unaware. This road was abandoned for a reason and precaution for a solitary dwarf can not be exaggerated.

    As you are standing at this crossroad, pondering your direction you begin to hear a distant ring, as if the ringing of steel. It seems to be calling you toward the left. The colder wind coming from your right...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    Arrow Young Thoriken

    Thoriken, paused listening intently to all around him, hearing the faint sounds of battle to his left he turns and heads in that direction. Hoping he will not find find any dead breathren, slowly moving into the shadows, .
    * Windstar rolls some dice *
    he hugs the cavern walls and pause frequently to listen to sounds of the
    underdark .
    * Windstar rolls some dice *
    as taught him by his tutor.


    Last edited by Windstar; 09-01-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: tried to get a dice roll, no joy

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-01-2009 05:42 AM
    Windstar rolls some dice: 1d100 (55)
    Windstar rolls some dice: 1d100 (73)
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    367
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    You slip into the unseen recesses of the great tunnel, feeling a bit more comfortable with something at your back. The great tunnel seems lifeless to your eyes, yet you can easily sense the great prowess and magnificence that built it. These were masters of their time and although a bit ancient it still captures your breath as its seamless bricks and arches ebb and flow into one another. Not many of the dwarven nations of today could have done something so grand. You have heard the whispers amongst the elders of Delzoun and your own ancestors. Perhaps they stood here at one time as builders, it must have been quite a bit different for certain.

    The silence between the softer pings of metal is solace to you. Those of your order having found peace in that which would drive many within your stead mad indeed. As you slowly listen to the sounds about you the ringing grows faint, as if continuing further toward the left. No one other then your order ever seek out this place, nor into its depths. Whomever or whatever it is certainly is not under their direction. It appears to be very long between the emanations, perhaps many minutes at least. It grows distant in the cold breeze toward your right. From its direction only a faint whisper of the wind in the caverns can be heard.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    Arrow Young Thoriken

    Moving cautiously down the long corridors hugging one wall, moving just fast enough to keep the ringing in earshot, Young Thoriken draws boths both throwing hammers. Constantly checking the way ahead for traps and still paying attention to his backtrail, he knows how easy it is to get misplaced here.

    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    367
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The distant ringing looms just on the periphery of your hearing, had you not learned to train yours it would certainly be lost. Your hammers drawn, you slowly begin making your way down the darkened tunnel while navigating its many obstacles. Though a bit more slower then a walk, your measured steps and sweeping of the hammer just might save you in the event of wandering into some unseen trap. The ringing does seem to grow louder as you approach, though it still lies quite some distance. You have long ago learned that sounds can be very deceptive in the dark of the caverns.

    After what seems like hours, you stop to gauge your progress. You are some distance from your entry and although you feel confidant you might be able to retrace your steps, you begin to ponder your best course of action. In many ways sound and time vanish in the depths of the world. You are left only with dark and echoes from the deep...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    Young Thoriken

    While resting for a few Thoriken takes a small drink of water and looks around the general area, locking the impressions into memory.

    After a brief rest I continue down the corridor staying close to one wall and checking for traps/trips, consistantly moving towards the sounds of battle, trying to postion myself for an ambush with hammers at the ready, should the battle invole any other than my fellow brethern.

    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    367
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The hall is vast and very large, most of your order having investigated many of the cracks and fissures that seem to inundate it. As to where it leads and where it began had been nothing more then conjecture, some mentioning Delzoun, Netheril, Shanatar, and even Ascalhorn. Without any more information it was nearly impossible to surmise, other then the consensus that it was indeed ancient and built by dwarves.

    Surveying the area near you it seems strewn with some debris, various bricks and discarded broken equipment that lie strewn about the passageway. Though the hall nearest to the stead has been cleared, it would appear that your trek has taken you farther then you originally thought. You had passed a few fissures and cracks, though as to whether they actually connect to anything is not really known. This tunnel is long indeed and some have surmised it could run well to the Spine of the World and well past Aunaroch in the other direction. The fissures and crevices that seem to populate it from years of seismic activity have opened it to other darker creatures that generally dwell far into Toril's interior.

    The ringing does seem to be colser as you begin anew, though after what seems about ten minutes you find yourself at a large crevice, the sound eminating from within. As you stand there hearing the noise you are reminded of the sound of forging, the smell of a smithy strong in your nostrils.

    As you step closer a sound from beyond you in the tunnel silences the hammering. Something is in the tunnel you were just in and had you not stepped quickly into this crevice, would have easily seen you...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    Young Thoriken

    As Young Thoriken hugs the crevice wall, he slowly peers into the tunnel he just vacated, keeping his movements to a minimum trying to assume a placement of advantage with out leaving the confines of the crevice.

    Windstar
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    367
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Your eyes begin to pick up some slight and small heat signatures, small and moving quite quickly. The hover off the ground just above the level of your head. There are two of them and they are about the size of your fist. They flitter through the hall, seeming oblivious to your presence.

    The slight tapping begins anew, seeming to come from behind you further into the fissure. At this the creatures seem to hold and begin weaving their way back toward you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    Young Thoriken

    Thoriken presses flat against the fissure wall, keeping the creatures in my his peripheral vision, but not looking directly at them.

    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    367
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    It appears as though they sense your presence, but how seems uncertain. They start zipping about in flight as if agitated or perhaps trying to discern exactly where you are located. You can see them much better now. They are far warmer then you originally had thought and even with your limited infravision you can see they possess long bills, far longer then any birds and very different then what you might expect from a bat.

    One glides quickly through the air in front of you, buzzing as its wings carry it further down the fissure. The other seems hesitant, waiting at the opening as if sensing something is amiss. It is literally just feet from you hovering about level with your head.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Statesville
    Age
    50
    Posts
    522
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0

    young Thoriken

    Patiently, waiting Thoriken grips his hammers tightly waiting to see if the bird thing does anything hostile.

    Last edited by Windstar; 06-03-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some d20 Star Wars Musings/Adjustments
    By USFPutty in forum Sci-Fi / Futuristic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
  2. Genre musings
    By Stormhound in forum Feedback
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM
  3. Musings on balance, flexibility and 4e
    By Maelstrom in forum Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •