Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorited WOD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your favorited WOD

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was just wondering what is your favorite flavor(s) of World of Darkness and why.

Mine is still Vampire the Dark Ages (not to be confused with Dark Ages Vampire). Being big bad vampires is a superstitious world is fun and I can totally see a vampire setting up his own feifdom. The rules were a little wonkly but I played 1st & 2nd edition Shadowrun a lot and the 2nd edition rules for Vampire were closer to Shadowrun than the later Revised edition Vampire, which never really worked for me.

I also really enjoyed New World of Darkness as mortals and find the rules are a great fit for my style but the flavor of Vampire the Dark Ages just wins despite more suck in the rules (no pun intended, okay maybe a little pun)
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those that I have looked into and would most like to try are Changeling: the Dreaming and Dark ages: Inquisitor. Those flavors appeal to me most.

The nWoD rules do seem an improvement over the old. Although my only experience was with the old rules.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, Changeling: the Lost is still new and shiny.

In general, I prefer the people against the monsters stuff, so, Hunter, Inquisitor and World of Darkness.

I like the themes of Demon: the Fallen also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd have to say V:tM, Sabbat setting preferably...not sure why...Mage (Ascension not Awakening) from the Technocratic point of view appealed to me too, very Cyberpunk without needing to be futuristic...
    Supernatural? What's so super about it, just cause you weren't expecting it to grow fangs and bite you in the ass?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite of the WoD games by past experience would hands-down have to be Mage: The Ascension. The many years ago when my group was playing this, we really focused on the "mages vs. technocracy" angle and we were basically sort of freedom fighters, bringing enlightenment to the sleepers and freeing them from the vile manipulations of the technocratic scum. Don't know if I'll ever be in another Mage game that cool again. Most other folks I've seen play Mage since tend to play it with a different (to me, less appealing and usually more angsty) style.

My second favorite of the WoD I've played would probably have to be Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised 2nd ed.) mostly only due to a rather short-lived campaign that I ran in which all the players walked away from the game telling me how awesome the story was.

I've got most of the core books for nWoD and I really like the potential for a full-blown mortals-only campaign but I've not run it yet. I like most of the changes to the nWoD system, but there are a few I don't like (though thankfully they are easy to house rule back into something more my taste).

I always wanted to try a Changeling: The Dreaming game, but I never did. I like the concept as I understood it, be I never knew anyone who was running it. Mostly, if they were running WoD it was either Vampire or Werewolf.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hand's down, Mage: The Ascension. It's unique magic system caught me and drew me in. Nothing else came close.

I also ran a Mages vs. Technocracy style campaign which later turned into a Mages vs. "Things from Beyond the Horizon" campaign. A key player, a Son of Ether, concentrated most of his time making a Voidship so we eventually put it to use as I shifted things more and more toward the Spirit (i.e. Dimensional Sciences) end of things.

One player who played in a very power-munchkin style Wearwolf game wanted to play a Wearwolf in my Mage campaign... I warned him multiple times since in my view of the whole WoD, Mages were significantly more powerful than any of the other creatures by many orders of magnitude... I mean, who can argue with someone who bends reality to their will?! Everything else is just "hedge magic". I think his Wearwolf lasted about two games before a rather powerful Technocrat shot him with a railgun and then proceeded to "pull the mask" off his fuzzy body. Arete combined with the power of paradox won out and it really was a man in a suit under the mask and he promptly died. He rolled a Virtual Adept afterwards and had a lot more fun.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I miss Mage: The Ascension. As you said, we were basically playing "reality benders" who were out to protect humanity from the terrible things that they would never even know about. We were almost "superhero-y" in our M.O. and I really miss that.

That's it...when my current campaign draws to a close, my next one is going to either be Mage or Dresden Files.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vampire The Masquerade just cuz it was what I started with, its what pulled me into the Pen & Paper RPG setting. Oh and you have to love the Assamites.
    ~~~Jay.C~~~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by death666life View Post
    Vampire The Masquerade just cuz it was what I started with, its what pulled me into the Pen & Paper RPG setting. Oh and you have to love the Assamites.
    Unless they're throwing a hissy-fit for feeling disrespected by another party member and immediately tries to kill them. That's when you get all "deep-umbral, flame-spewing, vengeance spirit-duck" on their butts. Yeah, that's right, my duck just kicked your little Vampire attitude into next week...what are you gonna do about it?

Sorry...flashbacks...but at least they were good ones.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true but when ever I did play a Assamite I always did the whole loner deal just comming in to save the parties ass when needed or doing a one man job.
    ~~~Jay.C~~~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anas platyrhynchos or: "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bygone Bestiary"

HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me it was CtD all the way. I thought it's setting was the best and it could be either light and fluffy or really dark and scary. I always felt it got a bad rap becaue they weren't as powerful as the others. Or you cou'ldn't be as broody or what have you. I never thought I would find a more fun game. Then came out CtL. Like all the NWOD it dumped the politics and focused on the myth. No longer would I have to convince people that yeah the fae are scary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Werewolf the Apocalypse. I'm definitely a garou by nature - to the point of wearing red flannel to a goth club once. LOL - being 6' and the better half of 250# at the time, that was like a big old german shepherd walking into a housecat convention, but I'm digressing.

My favorite garou was a lupus fianna galliard who often snuck in and slept in the wolf pen at the zoo. She eventually led the pack on an escape out of captivity.

Another happy memory was a scene where I was a homid bonegnawer theurge who had some flaw where he looked like a big mangy dog in lupus form. He'd wander around the poor section of the city in lupus form getting ear scritches from the homeless kids and learning all sorts of interesting stuff. Anyhow, a couple sessions after a black fury ahroun gave him a cell phone to use she asked for it back. She never properly told my gnawer that the phone was equipment to be used only for a certain mission - so of course it must be a gift!

Things almost got ugly, and I think maybe a challenge may have been issued, but no fighting happened - we were in a city park cairn that had been abandoned for some time - we were the one pack carving out a little territory from the leeches. If a fight had occurred, my gnawer probably would've died but the fury would have faced severe consequences - she finally huffed away, "This isn't worth it!" leaving my gnawer with a victorious grin on his face.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though I have wished to have played and experienced more games, I have only really done Vampire, Werewolf (As Naga), and Freak Legion for WoD games. My GM had probably every single second edition WoD book and when you would go into his library and see them all, your head would start thinking "What is that game like?" or "Ooooh, that sounds cool". He said he always wanted to run a Mage campaign but only with players that were very knowledgeable into the game and the powers.

My vote is going to go with V:tM, mostly because our group had a 2 year, once, sometimes twice, a week, campaign. Then it all fell to shit when people's in game emotions came out and other real emotions went it.
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran Vampire more (because that's what my players wanted to play), but Demon: the Fallen really grabbed me. I instantly saw story upon story and fell in love with the great conflict of heaven vs. hell that, prior to that, I'd only seen in the Constantine type movies.

Yes, I was an unfortunate child. No comic books, no horror movies, not even any plastic water pistols allowed in my house [/sulk]
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast