Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Movies (really good or really bad)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Obscure Movies (really good or really bad)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm a huge movie buff and am always checking out unusual films, most average-forgettable but a few gems being so good or so bad their worth sharing. Not looking for mainstream stuff that everyone has heard of...
    I'll start with a couple and add some more later.

GUMMO: weird, documentary-style flick that is amazingly offensive and disturbing; I remember almost stopping it several times but wound up watching the whole thing and then feeling kind of dirty...

EAGLE VS SHARK: New Zealand film with a Napoleon Dynamite flavor to it, filled with quirky characters and strange situations, hilarious and uncomfortable

SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE: this one's only obscure if you're not familiar with Asian cinema; very sympathetic characters, gut-wrenching twists, unexpected but well conceived turns, and very thought-provoking (easy to identify with all the main characters even though they are sometimes working against each other); extremely violent at times

IRON AND SILK: based on the book by, and starring, Mark Salzman; about his true experiences teaching English in China, studying wushu under the master Pan Qing Fu, and dealing with communism, isolationism, xenophobia, and learning Chinese culture; sounds dry, but is a fascinating, funny, exciting and educational movie

More to come. Hope to find some gems from you...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Adding to my own thread...

NIGHTWATCH and DAYWATCH: Based on the books by Russian sci-fi/fantasy/horror author Sergei Lukyanenko; awesome visuals, convaluted story-line, really interesting characters; made me buy the books to find out the back stories on the characters...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Repo man!!!!

Hudson Hawk!!!

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This one very few people have heard of and honestly it is soul food for me when I am extremely sick(you know everyone has those movies or foods or drinks they turn to when they are horribly ill)....Milo & Otis. A story of a cat and dog on a farm who wind up in a crazy adventure. It is a kids movie, but I still watch it when I am sick.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro82 View Post
    ...Milo & Otis...
    I remember watching that movie quite a few times when I was younger. It was indeed an enjoyable "talking animal" film.

Here's a couple good ones:

The Bunker: Excellent, excellent horror/psycho-drama about a group of German grenadiers stuck in enemy territory in WWII. When they realize that they are lost and cut off from reinforcements, they take shelter in an abandoned enemy bunker while they await help.

Fast, Cheap and Out of Control: A documentary by Errol Morris about 4 different men and the careers that have become their life and passion. It takes 4 very different life styles and personalities and draws them together in a way that shows you how their lives are surprisingly similar.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about Equilibrium...Not too obscure but missed by most as it was overshadowed by the original Matrix release(I think) It was a really amazing mix between extremely detailed and well planned action sequences with the plotline of Fahrenheit 451.

Gummo was definitely worth seeing at least once, Was bored by Eagle Vs Shark, and Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance was great along with the other Tartan Asia Extreme flicks, especially Oldboy...

Oh and Southland Tales and A Scanner Darkly deserve honorable mentions in my book as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's one from the 70s. It's called The Villain. As far as seriousness is concerned it's basically a live action cartoon, but it's good for a laugh.

I saw it once a while back and have been unable to track it down since.
    Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.
    -Agatha Heterodyne, Girl Genius.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cast a Deadly Spell

Merlin

Oh, and be sure to check out Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire - Comedy Central series instead of a movie, but holy crap it's funny.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive seen one episode of Krod Mandoon and I did laugh pretty hard a couple of times...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always been one to enjoy the "so bad it's laugh-out-loud good" style of 70's Hong Kong martial arts movies. Here's a few of my favorites:

Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple - this one was hilarious! You had two guys fighting with chopsticks over a bowl of rice, flying fruit attacks, and there was a "bad" dude with a 4-foot, mustache who fought with a FFVII "Cloud"-esque sword. He would literally kick the end of the blade to bring the sword up into the air before swinging it back down to attack...and later, he draws a *smaller* sword out of it!!! LOL!!!

Crippled Masters - about a pair of brothers (one with no arms and one with no legs) who develop a fighting style by working together.

Snake and Crane: Arts of Shaolin - an early Jackie Chan film with some great (read: ultra-cheesy) 70's martial arts action.

and the original (1970s) version of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master is just a classic and should not be missed.

I have a hard time finding copies of these movies but they are so totally worth it.

Oh, and I can't have a "so bad it's good" movie conversation without mentioning the horrible film Reptilian. See it...just go see it. You will understand...
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Crippled Masters - about a pair of brothers (one with no arms and one with no legs) who develop a fighting style by working together.
    I loooove this movie!!!! Such a classic!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zardoz: Weird, just weird. Not bad, might be good, but certainly weird.

Johnathon Livingston Seagull:
    Yea for those of you that remember the book they made a movie of it.

Moon Zero Two: A pretty good space western.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just saw this one last night for the first time...

DARK STAR: early (perhaps first?) film by John Carpenter (Halloween/The Thing, etc.) and Dan O'Bannon (Alien); state of the art special effects in 1974 (if all you have to work with is cardboard, Elmer's glue, and some spray paint), a terrifying alien (that looks like someone stapled some monster-hands to a beach ball), scintillating dialogue (mostly between the ship's computer and two bombs with artificial intelligence), dashing protagonists (if you're into filthy, annoying, hippy-types); some of the best scenes are in an elevator shaft that seems to only open on one floor, Pinback chasing the alien beach-ball through seemingly endless and purposeless shafts and ducts, the death of said alien beach-ball, surfing in space, all the dialogue, their disgusting living quarters...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Screamers: Intelligent machines invade a space colony

Mists of Avalon: A made for TV movie based on a book, but I think it was a good one. Got me into historical fiction.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Live Freaky, Die Freaky - A sexually-explicit claymation musical comedy about the Manson Family murders. But don't let my description fool you; it's actually a lot weirder than it sounds.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast