Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Star Trek was the worst

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etarnon View Post
    We enjoyed it.

Not traditional, it's it's own spin, but worth the 5$ we paid.
    $5? Is that the price in Penn? Lucky you. It's double that out here-for matinee.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Onion had a great feature on this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...urce=a-section

Somewhat spoilerrific:

Keep in mind that this is not the original Star Trek universe. The credits even refer to Leonard Nimoy as "Spock Prime"- so the character he played is from the original Trek universe, and the universe the movie is in diverged from that one the moment that Spock and Nero came back in time to it. So these are not the characters that will then have the adventures that the rest of canon describes. Spock and Kirk even discuss this on the bridge- Kirk thinks that Nero knows what's going to happen since he's from the future, but Spock points out that Nero has already altered things by showing up, to the extent that nothing can be predicted...

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    The Onion had a great feature on this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...urce=a-section

Somewhat spoilerrific:

Keep in mind that this is not the original Star Trek universe. The credits even refer to Leonard Nimoy as "Spock Prime"- so the character he played is from the original Trek universe, and the universe the movie is in diverged from that one the moment that Spock and Nero came back in time to it. So these are not the characters that will then have the adventures that the rest of canon describes. Spock and Kirk even discuss this on the bridge- Kirk thinks that Nero knows what's going to happen since he's from the future, but Spock points out that Nero has already altered things by showing up, to the extent that nothing can be predicted...
    You got that right, Valdar. I,myself, actually loved what they did. It opens up so many possibilities for a whole new series-I'm hoping a new movie every year or two with the same actors. <sorry, purposefully being vague for the members that haven't seen it yet. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. Thoth is cool in so many ways, including being mindful.>

i would also argue to those that argue canon that it didn't go against canon at all. Original canon is still there. I realize that this makes little or no sense to those that haven't, as of yet, seen it, but when you see the movie, you will glimpse what i mean.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-11-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They said two words in the movie that was greatness and tells the geek fanboy whiners to sthu.

"Alternate Reality"

The movie was greatness.
    "And then you wake up."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Loved it, loved it, loved it. My full review is here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmartestLemming View Post
    Did anyone else get blinded by the endless lense flares they used?
    Yes! It made me feel queasy for some reason. Kind of cool, but slightly disconcerting.

The thing I really hate is not having a current Star Trek series to quench my addiction. Waiting for more Star Trek is going to be brutal!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
    Loved it, loved it, loved it. My full review is here.
    Excellent review- though I'd replace "Reboot" with "Ressurection". The Star Trek franchise was dead when Abrams picked it up and did his thing with it.

And, lens flare? I didn't notice. I'll be seeing it again tonight (and watching out for the tribble on Scotty's desk, which I also missed)- I'll watch for it then. My brain tends to edit out such things.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Quote Originally Posted by werole View Post
    The thing I really hate is not having a current Star Trek series to quench my addiction. Waiting for more Star Trek is going to be brutal!
    A TV series with this cast and in this continuity would be awesome. If only to see the "unpleasable fanbase" choke on their own bile.
    Last edited by Valdar; 05-12-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent review- though I'd replace "Reboot" with "Ressurection". The Star Trek franchise was dead when Abrams picked it up and did his thing with it.
    Hehe, good point. Abrams must be a cleric of the highest order to have accomplished that.

And, lens flare? I didn't notice. I'll be seeing it again tonight (and watching out for the tribble on Scotty's desk, which I also missed)- I'll watch for it then. My brain tends to edit out such things.
    Funny, so far everyone I've mentioned it to was either really annoyed by it, or didn't notice it at all. My wife found it particularly blinding, and even held her hand up over her eyes at certain points in the film. Though she tends to be melodramatic.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A TV series with this cast and in this continuity would be awesome. If only to see the "unpleasable fanbase" choke on their own bile.
    True enough.

There was a tribble?

LMAO, that'd be sweet.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    There was only one thing that bothered me big time.

It was over too soon. Yet was over 2 hours long, but only felt like an hour.

For those that haven't been watching, well this may or may not be a spoiler, but Nimoy is playing as William Bell on Fringe. So we get somewhat of a fix this fall on the tube.
    Last edited by BrotherDog; 05-13-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherDog View Post
    There was only one thing that bothered me big time.

It was over too soon. Yet was over 2 hours long, but only felt like an hour.

For those that haven't been watching, well this may or may not be a spoiler, but Nimoy is playing as William Bell on Fringe. So we get somewhat of a fix this fall on the tube.
    Yes, the last half to me felt rushed. Almost like they wanted to finish the movie in under a certain time. This being said, I'm hoping that the DVD releases will have 30 minutes of extra scenes. One can only hope.

Oh well, it was still a great movie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Yes, the last half to me felt rushed. Almost like they wanted to finish the movie in under a certain time. This being said, I'm hoping that the DVD releases will have 30 minutes of extra scenes. One can only hope.

Oh well, it was still a great movie.
    From what I've read, there's a scene with Carol Marcus (Kirk's ex, and the mother of the son that the "Klingon Bastard" kills in the 3rd movie) that was cut. Also, they did a voice clip with Shatner that was also cut. So that's at least two scenes of Star Trek geeky goodness that will be on the DVD, assuming that by "cut" they meant cut from the final movie, not cut from the script...

Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    True enough.

There was a tribble?

LMAO, that'd be sweet.
    If (when) you see it again, check out what Scotty's doing the first time we see him. He's feeding those protein pellets to a tribble in a cage on his desk.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's a tribble?

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dr. Zoidburgs favorie snack in Futurama.

Tribble: http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...num=5&ct=title

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think anyone who is that bothered when they say stuff like it jumped canon are just inconsolable. Lets be honest Star Trek was dead. JJ Abrams resurrected the franchise. I would think any fan would love this movie if not at least for that fact. They had to put in all the extra explanations and stuff Trek fans already know, because they're trying to appeal to a larger audience to make it more accessible. This will also make sure it stays alive longer this time and gives them a bigger budget for the sequel. So its a little more mainstream this time, but hey at least its out there! I think back when the TV show was made it wasnt a staple of the series to make corny battles, have terrible actors, and long drawn out boring dialogue. It was just what they had the money for and who the target audience were....total nerds. Plus, I think the actors cast (in every single role) were dead on perfect! I genuinely think this was top 2 of all the Star Trek films made!

Oh and I saw it in IMAX and yea....spend the $14 bucks to go see it!!!! It is spectacular in IMAX!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast