Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: You may choose more than one. Everyone feel free to participate.

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved Descent. Cant wait for the sequel.

2 28.57%
  • It was okay. Might see sequel.

3 42.86%
  • Not into Underdark type of movies.

2 28.57%
  • Never saw it.

1 14.29%
  • Other.

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Descent: Part II, is being made.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up The Descent: Part II, is being made.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The Descent: Part II, is being made.

I'm a big fan of underworld type of movies, so imagine my surprise when i found out that Descent will have a sequel.

Click the link to read more...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41010

Be sure to share your thoughts with the rest of us.

What share you?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-08-2009 at 09:29 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just watched the Descent last night on Sci-Fi. Despite some bad editing on Sci-Fi's part, I liked it. It has some very predictable moments, and the idea that the "cave men," wouldn't also develop a heightened sense of smell to compensate for their complete blindness strained incredulity. Nonetheless, I would probably watch the followup.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Heightened sense of smell? Their heightened sense of echolocation was their real strength.

Diet does affect odors, human odors, which is why with certain jobs in war, one was to eat the same diet as their enemy. So for me, i didn't see the sense of smell thing as such a reach. It only told the baddies in which general direction the humans were to be found. Echolocation did the rest.

Btw, Farcaster, check out the uncut video when you get a chance. It has an alternate ending which is quite good, and probably falls on the more believable, if not on the bit more *gloomy side for the girls. *Purposefully being vague to avoid spoiler.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-10-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if the "monsters" were supposed to have once been human, it seems likely they would have developed a heightened sense of smell. Humans who loose their eyesight tend to develop more acute senses overall -- not just hearing.

I'll check out the alternate ending. I wasn't much for the brief flash of the presumably dead chick suddenly sitting next to the last survivor in the SUV as an ending.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Were they ever clear on that, i don't recall? I felt the history the to be vague enough that these humanoids perhaps evolved around and from caveman from our past, not unlike us, and not from humans at all. The only difference between us and them were our environments.

Sure, there were holes in the story, but i still felt it brought in an enjoyability factor of 8, out of 10. That's if one is into Underdark stuff. I have high hopes for the second one.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-10-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interestingly enough this is what Wiki attributes the director has having said:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.com
    The director explained, "They've evolved in this environment over thousands of years. They've adapted perfectly to thrive in the cave. They've lost their eyesight, they have acute hearing and smell and function perfectly in the pitch black.
    That having been said, the acute olfactory senses didn't come across at all since the creatures were completely unaware of the spelunkers when they were being perfectly still and quiet.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, i was forming my opinion based on the movie, and not on anything the director had said, so i am hoping you were taking my discussion as discussion and not point of fact. I never even thought about perusing Wiki on such things. I think i will stick to my assumptions based off of the movie. It makes it more enjoyable, keeps it a bit more in the realm of suspension of disbelief, as well as had given me some inspiration on modules, and races i have completed in projects past.

In regards to your last line... again, holes in the story. I, like most, fill in the holes(things not made clear) whenever given the chance. So i added in smells based off of diet, and echolocation from proven possibilities of human kind. All this proven in the real world. It's the creative side of me. I am a gamer, after all.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-10-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    after the end of the first on i'm kinda surprised that another is being made but..... i can't wait to see it
    This is it. This is your story. It all begins here.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Me too. I hope it turns out well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can someone help me out? After seeing it twice, at the end of Descent, who was that sitting in the passenger's seat? Was it the quasi-Asian girl who caught the climbing spike in the knee (allowing the girl in the driver's seat to escape) or was it someone/something else??

Thanks!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have it saved on Netflix. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't know when they will get it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073105/

I'll keep everyone updated.