Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What's the most ludicrous game you ever played?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the most ludicrous game you ever played?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up What's the most ludicrous game you ever played?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What's the most ludicrous game you ever played?

We've all played them. Time to share these unbelievable experiences with others on this site.

I'll go first, with three:

1) Once played in a 5 hours session with a group of gamers I've never played with before. This was a DnD3.5E session, and i kid you not, this group spent five hours role playing in court, playing out attorneys, witnesses, bailiffs, the 3 judges, etc. Unfreakinbelievable! Needless to say, i never played with this group again.

2) Visited another group I've never played with before. Played for 8 hours and never even seen the possibility of combat. Plenty of negotiation, though. So finally, towards the end, i say, "i guess you guys are of the mind of 25/75 (25% fighting)? Their response: No! We don't believe in violence and therefore never see combat in our dnd games. All living entities, no matter how evil, can be negotiated with. My jaw dropped. I, needless to say, never played with this group again.

3) Have a 3rd that dropped my jaw. Playing with another group of players. I was new with this group and didn't know what to expect. Well, after the teleportation necklaces, which was standard issue, which magically teleportated any one of us just before death to safety (yep, you read that right), the final straw was the werewolf in the ocean that used himself for bait against a dire great white shark. This fish was about 60 feet long. Here's what he told the DM: I want the shark to swallow me, and then when it does, i will dig my way out with my claws and teeth.

Needless to say, he successfully killed this dire great white shark. I thanked them for allowing me to join in but never came back for another session.

What share the rest of you?
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Invulnerable

I once played in a 3e game that was basically a prop for the DMs story. I spent a lot of time agonizing over my character and trying to be fair but min maxing where i thought it best and coming up with some unusual ideas to basically create a spartan like warrior. Others got these crazy character with amazing powers handed to them by the GM... i though ok, i often have my players ask me to make their characters because i make them well and integrate them tightly together. The game went on for months and i realized that i could not die. I tested it it out and did everything in my power to try the most outrageous, stupid, ludicrious stunts and ideas and never did i get killed. I talked to the DM about it and said that i thought i was just being pulled around by my nose, as a prop for his friend and wife while we acted out the story he wanted to tell. He said that was basically true, but that the story was great and i should just go along with it. He even said he had some player's deaths already planned. Thats nice, but if i have no risk in dying, i have no real vestment in my character, and i'f i'm gonna die anyway, why should i care about the character? Anyway, we had a big arguement in front of everyone and an email flame war and that group disbanded... as far as i know no one i know of played with that DM again.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my response to the posts:

AND AND

that is ridiculous. The closest I can come to that is playing for a year and a half and only making it to 4th level with a +1 sword and +1 armor (our DM was a xp and magic nazi).

The other was the solution to the situation we were in. Basically, we were supposed to convert the main bad guy to our side and fight for the side of good. APPARENTLY, she used to be good, and somehow we were supposed to have figured that out. This bad guy summoned a powerful demon and a huge army to stop us. Yeah she is good. Campaign DIED because we couldn't figure out the solution.

We still played with the DM, (he had great stories/campaigns), but there are definitely things I would change about his style.

Of course, I think Thoth wins the prize. I am flabbergasted. I can see other games having no combat, but D&D "kind of" warrants at least "some" combat.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    1) Once played in a 5 hours session with a group of gamers I've never played with before. This was a DnD3.5E session, and i kid you not, this group spent five hours role playing in court, playing out attorneys, witnesses, bailiffs, the 3 judges, etc. Unfreakinbelievable! Needless to say, i never played with this group again.
    Yeah and? I'm still waiting for the Needless to say part....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Yeah and? I'm still waiting for the Needless to say part....
    Here's some more detail if anyone is interested.

Needless to say... my guy wasn't playing an attorney class. He was a adventurer, and therefore wanted to adventure. Apparently this group was about the legal system in the city. Their only adventures were from going to one city to another to practice law and to free the wrongfully accused bad guys, no matter what the race. In their minds, humans were the bad, and the evil were just the misunderstood. I wont lie, i was amazed at their perspectives on things, as alien as they were to me. It was an experience right out of a Twilight Zone type of story.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I once played in a homebrew game where we were low level, around 4th I think. D&D 3.5, I was an elven Gold Dragon Shaman who kicked butt ... and did so for money to help pay for a crew for a ship that he and his group were hired to board and seek someone kidnapped.

To make a long story short, we were led to an island that had an infestation of barghests and we found a glowing orb. By taking hold of the orb, we were transported to a Star Wars world ... the DM had even asked us if we wanted to play in a futuristic RPG, and we all unanimously said no. So he took matters into his own hands. Nothing against Star Wars at all, loved the story, but don't know the game nor did we want to, but the DM felt we had to for some reason.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine are a little more harmless. We all showed up to play a game once and every character had an 18 on each attribute. Of course we were all in the sixth grade, so what do you really expect. Anyway the DM decided we would all roll 2d6 for each attribute and subtract that roll from our attributes before he would let us play. I still call it the 6th grade method, for character generation.

BTW those are some strange people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Craziest game I ever played was where I walked into a group and was told to make my character 20th level, as it was a long running campaign I walked in on. The GM said to give myself the normal starting gold items worth of things and I was allowed to have templates up to +3 and the modifiers would be ignored, due to the varient rules he was using from Unearthed Arcana.

But if making a character with item creation feats I could buy items as if I made them myself. So I ended up making a wizard and due to picking half dragon he said all my HD had to be d12 since that is what the template makes them. Plus having item creation feats from wizard class I had more stuff than anyone else. But the game was upsurd in how people acted. I never played again as I felt I did not need to act out my childhood fantasies and my "-isms". Where the group was mostly acting on the ideas of if you are of their religion you were a barbarian in their eyes and if you were not human or half-elf by standard race you are subhuman and deserve no respect or anything, a.k.a. it felt like I was playing with white supremacists or neo-nazis who kept their hair/Perverted KKK members.

P.S. I forgot to mention only did the half dragon thing since everyone else had +3 or more templates to them already.
    Last edited by gajenx; 05-09-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    >>>SNIP<<<
    When I've been with groups that are getting burned out from playing, we've done stuff like this, purely to flesh out campaign worlds... but I've NEVER been in a group that would do it with a new player in the party!! My great banana magic, Thoth!! A new player would be exactly what a burned out party NEEDS to make things fresh again!!
    3) Needless to say, he successfully killed this dire great white shark.
    This sounds like the group that I recently left. The only thing that they would demand in addition to being allowed to do this, would be for the werewolf to find a 10,000gp diamond in the stomach as he started digging his way out!! A 10,000gp diamond wrapped in the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The most ludicrous game I've ever been in:

A Star Wars campaign with round-robin GMing duty that we played in high school during lunch time. I heard about the game through a friend and was new to the group. One of the PCs (the one belonging to the current GM) was actually a freaking Predator...as in the invisible, stalking alien with a shoulder mounted laser! On his character sheet he had written in "5,839 Dark Side Points" or some other impossible number. Gawd, what ridiculousness. Most of the rest of the party consisted of Jedi, each with their own obnoxiously non-Jedi-like weaponry such as (I kid you not) "lightsaber bombs"...bombs that emitted a wave of lightsaber energy (yeesh!). But wait, it gets better.

The GM who was running at the time that I joined apparently regarded rolling a "1" on your Wild Die to be the worst thing ever and would punish your character accordingly (to those not in the know, rolling a "1" normally just means that it either reduces the total of your roll or it causes some kind of complication). On one occasion, a player was attempting to pick up an unconscious enemy and roll him off of their speeder before they rode off in it. He rolled a "1" on the Wild Die for his Strength check and the GM declared that he accidentally flung the body so hard that it smashed into a nearby tree and ripped into pieces. Later, in an attempt to swim under a sewer grating to sneak into a enemy base, another PC rolls a "1" on a Swimming check to which the GM tells him that his character gets stuck in the grating and a large turd (yes, he described it as such) gets lodged in his mouth and his character drowns. Just like that. Oops, you rolled a "1"? Sorry...you're dead!

We used to call those "the days of the dreaded 1".

But wait, I'm not done yet!

A little later down the line, another player assumes the role of GM. He starts us off on a seemingly normal adventure. Our ship crash-lands on a primative planet where we discover a race of short, beared humanoid who live in a mountain. They are being attacked by a red dragon...yes a fire-breathing red dragon...and would like the help of our "strange weapons" and "magic powers". So we help them slay the dragon. Over a few more sessions we come to find out that the Force does not function normally in this world and the Jedi begin losing their powers, to which the DM...er, I mean GM...replies, "don't worry, the dwarves can teach you their magic spells". About the time he asked us to convert our characters' Strength dice into Hit Points I quit the game and that campaign seemed to come to a quick end as a result of it.

Ugh!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Played a halfling rogue once where every game would end up with them finding a treasure trove. We always received one magic item each and the party would haul away sometimes a semi truck load of gold coins. The character was getting up there in levels and therefore had a warehouse full of stuff. Whenever he needed an item I would just state that he was using it. Never a question as to whether the character had the item on him and where it was before he used it. Sometimes it was kind of funny, like he was pulling the item out of his... Well, you get the point.

One time he told the party there was nothing in the cave, but the GM wouldn't let me. Everyone got to split up the treasure.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Played a halfling rogue once where every game would end up with them finding a treasure trove. We always received one magic item each and the party would haul away sometimes a semi truck load of gold coins. The character was getting up there in levels and therefore had a warehouse full of stuff. Whenever he needed an item I would just state that he was using it. Never a question as to whether the character had the item on him and where it was before he used it. Sometimes it was kind of funny, like he was pulling the item out of his... Well, you get the point.

One time he told the party there was nothing in the cave, but the GM wouldn't let me. Everyone got to split up the treasure.
    Played a D&D game like that once. The DM house-ruled that everyone got maximum Hit Points each level and by level 6 we had built our own kingdom and had more magic items than we could count, including some of artifact-level power. My character had 4 pieces of a 5-piece set of artifact items that were supposedly unqiue (as in, only 1 set in existence).
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hafling assassin with an invisibility ring and a M-14 rifle. That D&D game didn't last long, and it ended with us all dead except the hafling. Who killed us because we made fun of the player and his idiotic character. Man I had totally forgotten about that one.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    Hafling assassin with an invisibility ring and a M-14 rifle. That D&D game didn't last long, and it ended with us all dead except the hafling. Who killed us because we made fun of the player and his idiotic character. Man I had totally forgotten about that one.
    Sounds almost like the first (and last) Shadowrun campaign I tried running. These were beginning characters, mind you. One player was an Elf Sniper/Mage who had invisibility magic and the other was a Troll Hitman/Street Samurai with a shoulder cannon. The Troll would run in and take the fire (he regularly shrugged off 12-gauge slugs thanks to his toughness and armor) while the Elf picked a convenient spot and began picking people off with headshots. Since his rifle was equipped with a silencer and flash surpressor, he would go through entire combats without being seen.

Yeah, that game didn't last too long (but it was fun in its own way while it did last).
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Back in my beginning days of 2E, the one DM I gamed with used to incoporate things like Flying Rabid Cows, Flasks of Verne (some liquified character of his), and routinely killed 1/2 to 2/3 of the party within an hour of starting the game for the night. We didn't let this guy DM for 5 or 6 years after one or two sessions of what he delivering to us.

Most recently, a player who began running his own DnD campaign, allowed each player (7 people) to play two or three characters each along with the DM characters - 8 of'em. We were the supporting cast to the DM's characters and it was very monty haulish, and finally the two sessions i played were 99% long, drawn out, super-anal, tactical combat/1% social role play. It was bad enough being lead around by the nose, even worse that the PCs were not as important as the DMs characters, the combats made it a complete travesty. I miss the 2E combat days, where combat wasn't so tactical, anal, and just flowed from one round to the next. I've learned to cope with 3E and Star Wars d20/Saga, but it fricking sucks the big one. Combat doesn't have to be detailed to be fun and interesting. I will never be a player for that guy again.

Finally, for me a ridiculous game are those that I've played where a Rules Lawyer has been the DM. Typically, these same individuals, in my epxeriences, also need to have meticulously detailed notes about every possible eventuality. Too many notes, too many details, equates to a boring game. For me it turns gaming into something like reading a Stephen King novel - a mind0numbingly painful experience I don't ever want to repeat. No offense to Stephen Kings fans, but to put it diplomatically, I just don't appreciate his style of writing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast