Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: 5E what do you think?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

5E what do you think?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So what does everyone think of 5E?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've moved over from D&D 3.5 to Pathfinder and I'm very happy with it. I've tried (bought the books and played) D&D 4th Edition and I'm personally very unhappy with it and the direction it took.

So, I think 5th Edition will have to prove itself before I go anywhere near it. Effectively, WotC have lost me as a customer. They will have to pull something truly impressive out of the bag to get me back.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same as I said in chat. It should be good. I think they've taken their time and put forth a genuine effort with this one. I don't remember ever really hearing about 4e before it came out. It was just kind of dropped on me a day or so before its release, and once I had read through it it was just... bad. Uncomfortable and just a hard read. Pages and pages of little "cards" that represented character abilities does not a book make.

I think with the community playtesting and feedback they've received, using 3.5 as a base model for the game and condensing the skills like they did in 4e (which was one of the only good things they did with that edition.) This should be a decent system. One that I will try for sure before making a final judgement, but I have high hopes.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    pathfinder = blah. 4e = blah. 5e = interesting playtest, but we'll wait and see until they start putting out expansion books.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm excited for the expansion material already being a huge fan of Warforged and Changelings who both come out of Eberron. I'll buy Eberron and never use any material other than those two races and be happy with it. XD

Though I hope the shardmind come back as well. I actually really liked them for no real specific reason. They just seemed cool to me but they were wasted potential in 4e. A better Psionic suited race than Dromites or Half-Giants in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After reading this article http://angrydm.com/2014/01/gaming-fo...-kinds-of-fun/ I realized that I liked 4E because I enjoy the Challenge type of fun. Others enjoy their preferred editions because it provides the other kinds of fun.

My problem with 5E involves their goals of allowing every play style and trying to unite the fan base and then only providing 2-3 of the major types of fun, which means again they will only capture about 1/3 of the TTRPG market.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    7/8 of the things in that article save "Sensory Pleasure" are, in my opinion, the DMs charge to create or change for his players so they enjoy the game regardless of system or mechanics.

3.5 is my favorite edition, but I houserule a lot. And I apply a lot of expansions. And a lot of custom made material, special things exclusive to the campaign I'm running at that moment. Running vanilla anything ever, is not fun in any way for me. You can call that the "Expression" type of fun if you want.

The rulebooks I have are guidelines for my own creation, and I like the terms and mechanics presented and operated in 3.5 more than I do 4e, and 5e looks like an updated and possibly better version of the one I already enjoy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to wait until 5th is out a running adventures for a year or two before checking it out myself (Pathfinder "meh", 4th Ed = not my cup of tea btw).

@ lokiare1: That article is cool! Looking through it right now.

-Will-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    I don't remember ever really hearing about 4e before it came out. It was just kind of dropped on me a day or so before its release, and once I had read through it it was just... bad.
    I find the second sentence hard to believe. The DAY BEFORE 4E was dropped, Wizards issued yet ANOTHER press release and spammed their forum boards with, "There is no new edition in any stage of development. Stop asking."

Then, the next day, they had the unveiling of 4E.

They ticked me off - and I won't be back for ANY edition of Wizards' product. I've got my Pathfinder and I am done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, as i had started my TT RPG experiences with D&D 1st ed, then hardcore Advanced 2nd ed, 3.5 was awesome. Blew the options wide open, and allowed eons of fun to be had! Now that isn't to say it was problem free, nor is Pathfinder. However, I looked at Pathfinder, and was wowed at the input from gamers themselves that they used, and was very impressed. To me they took the 3.5 premises, and fixed a ton of problems, and made it better. That is why it is referred to as, by some, D&D 3.75, as produced by Paizo, LOL. Looked at and played a couple 4e adventures, and was almost sickened as to how WOTC had, in my opinion, Taken a wonderful game, and ruined it. Now, as for 5E, I am skeptical. I will hold any opinion to what i think till after release, and dutiful inspection and play testing. However, we will see if WOTC can make up for and recover from the disgrace they have brought upon themselves......
    Last edited by Sneaksta; 03-30-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Spelling and terminology.
    A Rope IS too a weapon. Be Sneaky!
    I would ask a penny for my thoughts, but.... I don't have change...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really excited to look at all the 5E artwork and steal all the cool flavor ideas...while reading at Barnes and Noble. And every time I walk out I'll still have $50 in my pocket.