Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Hoard of the Dragon Queen: Epic Enough?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hoard of the Dragon Queen: Epic Enough?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I just read an interesting article on HotDQ - the campaign is intended to give D&D players a talking point, or something they can bond over.

But my understanding is that the goal of the campaign is to kill Tiamat. You know, the dragon-god.

Sure, it would be cool to meet fellow Tiamat-killers, but that sounds like a campaign that should take two years. And then, when you're able to kill a dragon-god, isn't that a sign that you've pretty much mastered a game system? And it's time to move on to GURPS or something? Or Munchkin?

Am I over-thinking this?
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.30
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So when a bowler gets a strike, he should take up golf, because it's obvious that he's mastered the game??

What the player has demonstrated is that they have mastered ONE CHARACTER CLASS and is working with a group of players that can intuitively work together as a team. The fact that they survived a massive boss battle means little - because there's another boss battle around the next corner.

HOWEVER, I may also be over or under thinking this, because deities are gods for a reason, and can't be permanently slain. Can you imagine what would happen when that ONE evil dragonelle slips away and tells the evil dragons about the group that killed the Dragon Queen? Okay, the party can take on a minor godling... what about thousands of dragons all at once - all with different breath weapons. And what about the NEUTRAL dragons that are ticked off that the balance of power has been upset? We can also bring in the good dragons as well, because they knew that Demogorgon and Orcus have been fighting over Tiamat's holdings for millennia and they are worse than she was - and now THEY are gaining in power.

Yeah, in my world, that would be a death sentence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure if that's the ultimate goal of the campaign arch. It may lead to that, but it's about the process of discovery leading to that point.
    Matt James
    Lead Developer, Vorpal Games
    Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's probably not, actually. I just saw something saying that the campaign (adventure?) only takes PCs up to level 8 or 15. Not quite Tiamat-level, huh?