Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Campaign setting, and why?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ravenloft

20 11.43%
  • Al Quadin

9 5.14%
  • Arabian Adventures

3 1.71%
  • Greyhawk

39 22.29%
  • Mystara

7 4.00%
  • Forgotton Realms

75 42.86%
  • Pathfinder

16 9.14%
  • Dark Sun

15 8.57%
  • SpellJammer

11 6.29%
  • Dragonlance

18 10.29%
  • Planescape

25 14.29%
  • Birthright

9 5.14%
  • Eberron

29 16.57%
  • Nyambe

0 0%
  • Malatra

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite campaign setting?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    1. Eberron- It makes logic use of magic outside of just combat.
    2. Dragon Star- D&D in space, great tool for using multiple settings.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it is not on here but my favorite is Farland World. www.farlandworld.com , You can play it either in the 3.5E or 4E systems. 3.5E link is at bottom of linked page. It is easy to be a hero or good alignment in most all campaign worlds, in Farland evil rules the world, so being good means being the minority. Being an outcast. Being hunted...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got to drop a plug for a friend of mine Krahazik's World of Vina. A bit of an off beat setting but lots of fun, I should know I play tested it. He's looking for players out in Washington if you want to know more.http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...ead.php?t=5665
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    for me I love the Arabian settings so much more than standard stuff. The feel of the world just rocks and that is why I voted for Al Qadim for my first choice. Though now I will have to look into the Farland World setting. Mostly as I rarely make good heroic characters and as well clash with groups. Since being the hero many times seems to mean doing the dumb action that common sense says no to.

So farland world seems right up my ally as well as the world of Djinnies and seals and sands. Plus how can you not love a place where your Barber is also the local doctor?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    for me I love the Arabian settings so much more than standard stuff. The feel of the world just rocks and that is why I voted for Al Qadim for my first choice.[/quote]

No kidding? I like Al Qadim too, although I haven't gotten to actually play in the setting. You're like the first person I've seen that has even really mentioned it let alone said they liked it.

My favs though would have to be Ravenloft or the Realms.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hamblet View Post
    ...No kidding? I like Al Qadim too, although I haven't gotten to actually play in the setting. You're like the first person I've seen that has even really mentioned it let alone said they liked it...
    I always really liked (and still have) the Al Qadim setting though, like you, I've not actually gotten to play it. I've still got my Arabian Adventures core book as well as the Land of Fate, Secrets of the Lamp and Assassin Mountain boxed sets. I also still have a copy of Gazetteer #2: The Emirates of Ylaruam which was the "Arabian region" book for D&D Basic.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although I haven't really played in it (I bought the material to use for my own campaign world), I really like Forgotten Realms. There's a great deal of depth to the setting, but there's still plenty of room to add things here and there, which was what I was doing when our group drifted apart.

I am another who really has a soft spot for the Greyhawk setting as one of our group used that for his campaign. And it's Gygax's baby, so what's not to like about it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll give a plug for Skunkape's home brew: Wizard Quest.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gajenx View Post
    for me I love the Arabian settings so much more than standard stuff. The feel of the world just rocks and that is why I voted for Al Qadim for my first choice. Though now I will have to look into the Farland World setting. Mostly as I rarely make good heroic characters and as well clash with groups. Since being the hero many times seems to mean doing the dumb action that common sense says no to.

So farland world seems right up my ally as well as the world of Djinnies and seals and sands. Plus how can you not love a place where your Barber is also the local doctor?
    You would probably dig Farland. In Farland your barber might potentially work for the dark one, so if you admit to him you are on the side of good while he is giving you a shave....he might shave a little too much off

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't really had the opportunity to play in the other settings, so I'd have to say Eberron is my favorite setting, though I enjoy the base (Grayhawk?) setting, too.

I think what I enjoy about Eberron are the options that come with the detail of the setting. I could do a general hack and slash or political intrigue or variation thereof. And then there's the way magic is used in everyday life. I think some people would call it a high magic campaign, but it doesn't feel high magic to me. It feels like spellcasters got together and looked for ways they could apply magic to everyday life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DarQuing View Post
    ... I think some people would call it a high magic campaign, but it doesn't feel high magic to me. It feels like spellcasters got together and looked for ways they could apply magic to everyday life.
    That's exactly what makes it High-magic, it's just mostly lower-level due to many of the big Elminster-types dying during the Last War. Sure it's Super-Magic like Toril, that's up to the players to assume such a roll in the world. Plus another good thing about the setting is it's Al-Qadim-esque enlightened idealogies.

*Racism is replaced with nationalism.
    *One should never assume who a Villain/Hero is based on species.
    *Bad guys can be Good and Good Guys might be Evil-ish.

...I personally like the flavor of "the vanity of beauty is Evil" aspect of the setting. i.e; Elves are usuall evil, while the Goblinoids and Orcs are more likely to be goodly. But then again, that would depend on the DM running the game. Most of settings I hate are due to the way they were always run, same goes with the ones I like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite setting to RP in has been Eberron, for some reason I always end up playing a character there that is like a hard boiled detective out of an old pulp novel and being able to do that with a Warmage or an Artifacer in a mostly fantasy setting is just fun. Well, that or I end up a halfling riding a trained dinosaur.

That said, one of the most fun games I was ever a player in was Forgotten Realms. I played a character from Sho, so I could cover the fact that I know jack about FR IRL by not knowing it IC. A ronnin Samurai wandering the area around Waterdeep was just plain fun.

As for GMing, the most fun was in a home brew world of mine. The world its self was a general fantasy world, nothing hugely different from Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk except that any God that has ever been worshiped could be found there somewhere if you looked, and the two major players in the heavens were the 8. Stolen shamlessly form the Diskworld books, and then given a face lift, the 8 were a group of God Like beings that were God like in the way Gods are Human like. They were the personifications of 8 of hte msot peorful forces in the world. Good, Evil, Life, Death, Time, The World its self, and the two people were most likely to deal with Fate and the Lady.

The real fun, is that I never let people play characters native to that world. I built a dozen or so world threatening threats, and pulled the characters from thier home planes as the powers that be choosing heroes from other worlds that the threats to that world do not know and could not prepair for. Of course after waking up in the ruins of a temple on a strange world everything the characters did form who they helped and what direction they traveled altered which threat they were going to end up being there to stop.
    Last edited by kitsune1842; 06-26-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    cool concept

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i play forgotten realm's but my favorite campain that i don't get to play is Birthright.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Darksun... I played very little in this setting but I just loved the idea... ofcourse I played it on AD&D more than 10 years ago but I still like it
    Sad that they never made a new edition for 3.5 ed.
    Regards

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast