Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Campaign setting, and why?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ravenloft

21 11.67%
  • Al Quadin

9 5.00%
  • Arabian Adventures

3 1.67%
  • Greyhawk

41 22.78%
  • Mystara

7 3.89%
  • Forgotton Realms

75 41.67%
  • Pathfinder

16 8.89%
  • Dark Sun

16 8.89%
  • SpellJammer

12 6.67%
  • Dragonlance

18 10.00%
  • Planescape

25 13.89%
  • Birthright

9 5.00%
  • Eberron

29 16.11%
  • Nyambe

0 0%
  • Malatra

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite campaign setting?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up What's your favorite campaign setting?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What's your favorite campaign setting, and why?

You're welcome to choose more than one.

I've listed 15, and i am aware of one more though i cant recall the name. If your favorite isn't listed, then please list on this thread.

Be sure to share with the rest of us why you've chosen the campaign setting you have.

*templeorder made a good point, see below. If your favorite campaign setting is your own, be sure to tell the rest of us a bit more about it.

For those of you with home brew campaigns, listing material on this thread will NOT be taken as threadjacking, for this thread is designed for the benefit of all P&PG members.

What share you?

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-08-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ltl

I'm limiting my response to the list to make it simple, but i prefer my own home brew setting i created under the ADnD 1 rules.

I have a real soft spot for Greyhawk because it had a good feel for it, was epic and rife with gods and powers but left a lot to be filled in. Since i love world building, these worlds feel the best to me. Worlds where there are massive amounts of supplements that explain too much sort of impinges on my GM style. I wont say its bad, because a lot of GM's like the detail and appreciate the effort they do not have to do... but i love DIY and Greyhawk was the first world i "did" it to.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite campaign setting isn't in the list, and I'll proclaim it's fabulousness every chance I get. White Wolf's/Sword and Sorcery's Scarred Lands d20 campaign setting is AWESOME. So that's where my vote goes.
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

If you would, RMajere, please tell us more about this setting. Thanks.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So for long term play I would say Forgotten Realms, however I love short jaunts into Ravenloft & Planescape. Additionally I enjoy short campaigns (12 or so adventures) in Dragonlance (Specifically the War of the Lance or before) & Darksun.

[edit] If we are going with 3rd party I have a love/hate relationship with Midnight, I love the concept but I want less D&D in my Sauron wins version of Middle Earth.
    http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/MIDNIG...gns:_Main_Page

Scarred Lands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarred_Lands
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 05-08-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    For nostalgic reasons, Dragonlance is my favorite, and like MortonStromgal, I enjoy War of the Lance and before.

But I love Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. FR for being so fleshed out and diverse and Greyhawk for it's high fantasy and medieval European feel that was so much of earlier D&D.
    "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle...SKYDIVE!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far I am the one guy that picks Eberron. I love that setting and the steam-punk esq feel to it. Eberron is rather similar to the homebrew I had made a few years prior and because of that I just started to use Eberron instead. Since Eberron came out only one of my campaigns has been on any other world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really love Eberron for many reasons, too many to list really.

I also like Toril, but fell away when too much of Faerun became too humanocentric. Plus too much, "Drow this, Drow that" garbage. It got old fast. But, there are the other continents- Zakhara(Al Qadim), Maztica, Kara-Tur, and 2 others not named or populated yet.

I like the Hi-Psy and brutal, dying world of Athas. Not sure why.

I always wanted to play Spelljammer but was never able to find DM who'd run it. The same goes for Mystara's - Savage Coast - Red Steel. It was an awesome idea.
    Last edited by BrotherDog; 05-09-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting a little Misty-eyed...

Ravenloft...

Its the one setting i can think of, outside of Dark Sun, where the objective goes beyond simply completing an adventure, but rather survival is the name of the game. Also, its great for those who want to get a taste of the different campaign settings out there, as there is a realm, or pocket domain from each of the campaign setttings.(Sithicus from Dragonlance, Al-Kathos from Al-Qadim, Kalidnay from Dark Sun; and there was one from Planescape that eludes my mind for the moment.) Not to mention it is a great equalizer for those 2e and 3.x players out there, with variant magic ratings for each domain and the general absence of the Gods limits players powers and gives them pause before charging into battle...if the local darklord doesn't believe in your kind of magic, or thinks he or she is better than your God, guess what kids? You're at a handicap! It just provides an exciting game with an indeterminite outcome. But i also recognize there are those who want to play more fantasy based systems than horror, so I can understand those who aren't really big fans. Although, most people who have given the system a try, at least in my experience speak fondly of it....
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You forgot to add Thieves' World Sanctuary by Green Ronin Publishing but Forgotten Realms would be a close second.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dark Sun all the way.

A much "grittier", more "survivalist" style of setting and one in which all magic has consequences. The gods have abandoned the world and thus the only clerics are those that worship the Dragon Kings, ancient sorcerers of frightening power. Arcane magic is divided into two types; Defilers- whose magic is strong but who recklessly ravage the earth to fuel their spells and Preservers- who try to take only what they need and preserve the already fleeting resources of their planet.

Plus, there are some absolute awesome things at work in the background that explain what is happening to the world and why it is such a miserable place. A lot of Athas is a mystery and simply traveling from place to place is a potentially life-threatening endeavor.

After that, I suppose it would be Al-Qadim. If prefer things that break away from the "Medieval Europe" stylings. Not because that style of campaign is bad but because it is (for me) all too common.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most favorite was War of the Lance, played it continuously for weekly till DM moved, It had flair and flavor of the fanasty realm that I favor. FR is next because it has been well thought out and fleshed out. Dark sun a very close third, only problem with it was psionics, I have never liked psionics and probably never will. But the new races and the back ground was awesome.

Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Dark Sun all the way.

A much "grittier", more "survivalist" style of setting and one in which all magic has consequences. The gods have abandoned the world and thus the only clerics are those that worship the Dragon Kings, ancient sorcerers of frightening power. Arcane magic is divided into two types; Defilers- whose magic is strong but who recklessly ravage the earth to fuel their spells and Preservers- who try to take only what they need and preserve the already fleeting resources of their planet.

Plus, there are some absolute awesome things at work in the background that explain what is happening to the world and why it is such a miserable place. A lot of Athas is a mystery and simply traveling from place to place is a potentially life-threatening endeavor.

After that, I suppose it would be Al-Qadim. If prefer things that break away from the "Medieval Europe" stylings. Not because that style of campaign is bad but because it is (for me) all too common.

I was under the impression that the clerics/priests of Athas worshiped the Elements, at least as the novels go.

Zakhara is refreshing in many other ways too. One can never assume who is evil/good based on race.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You spelled Qadim =)
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    As for running: Forgotten Realms. I guess the reason is because is Standard, very rich in background and history, tons of info (Maps, NPCs, Villains), and very well documented. In summary, very little work for me other than the Politics and the Plots.

Definitely I enjoy Ravenloft, although don't normally run a campaign there, but rather use the "kidnapped by the mists: Weekend in hell" theme, that is by having Ravenloft interlope (conjunctions) with FR.

Love Al-Qadim since it came out, if running FR, the characters at least have to go once there.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast