Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: How important is D&D to you

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would play any fantasy game

98 59.76%
  • I would play any thematicly similar fanasty game (Monsters!)

20 12.20%
  • I would play a D&D setting (FR, Eberron, etc) no matter what rules were used

23 14.02%
  • D&D only

23 14.02%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Would you play D&D if it wasn't D&D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    To play Devil's Advocate: Many folks would argue that certain editions of dnd isnt dnd.
    It is sad but true, THen everybody does have their tastes.
    Elves keep their counsel and sharpen their ears.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, ALT-A is totally correct - by very strict standards, D&D is nothing but the original three books that had the "Gygax and Arneson" names on them. The purists can argue that as soon as the next three little books came out, it wasn't D&D any more.

Then, when that horrid AD&D came out, it REALLY wasn't D&D any more.

Which is why I have played D&ME for over 30 years... and that is pronounced "DEE AND ME". Sure, I might use the (insert certain edition here) books, but I've personalized it from the I picked up my DM hat and did a horrid job of turning "The Martian Chronicles" into a setting (as in: Edgar Rice Burroughs' series). It's been all downhill from then.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    ... and did a horrid job of turning "The Martian Chronicles" into a setting (as in: Edgar Rice Burroughs' series). It's been all downhill from then.
    so long as the players don't find the crowns? or is that a plot twist in yours?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Crowns? It's been over 30 years since I read the books... throw me a bone here, please!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Which is why I have played D&ME for over 30 years... and that is pronounced "DEE AND ME". Sure, I might use the (insert certain edition here) books, but I've personalized it from the I picked up my DM hat.
    We all do. I call it M'D&D.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Crowns? It's been over 30 years since I read the books... throw me a bone here, please!!
    hope i'm not mixing up my references... pair of crowns plus a rod. when all three are combined with someone who knows how to use them, they are handy little artifacts of mind switch, true.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As long as it is entertaining for you and the group enjoys your imagination and rules then it doesn't matter if you use the exact rules of D&D, only some of it, or none of it. The main thing is your group enjoys the time spent together. If you can pull that off you should be fine.
    Last edited by Morashitar; 06-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It never really mattered to me, I aways tried to enjoy each game with respect.
    Elves keep their counsel and sharpen their ears.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would play any thematicly similar fanasty game (Monsters!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would play any game as long as the game is simple and everyone knows the rules and they were posted at the beginning of the thread. It would serve as a reference and a way for everyone to know what happened when they roll the dice. I do 2d6 with evens as success and odds as failures. I make each I individual number a degree of success or failure. Each holds a percentage marker of significance of time, damage, and percentile for damage ticks are rolled each turn when each player or NPC turn is taken or by the spell description of tick frequency. I use Rory dice to help make a storyline and scene. I also like to keep actions liberal as long they can do so by indicator markers as decided by the rolling off the dice.
    The ruler of the universe created by imagination, the champion of all the lands: Raven Alexis Goff! *crowd cheers* "welcome mortal, do you know what your fate holds in store for you? I see a chance for the end of the 5th great war from the feeling I get from you. Tell me, what is thy name?"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456