Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Home Grown Monsters
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home Grown Monsters

Downloads
    Uploads

Home Grown Monsters

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'd like to read about some new and/or improved monsters you've created for your D&D games. They could be something completely unique that you invented yourself (one of mine is a werearumvorax), an enhanced version of a common D&D monster (I created an intelligent race of ogres through selected breeding, they're 3/8 ogre, 3/8 verbeeg, and 1/4 human), or even give D&D stats to movie monsters (the creatures from the Alien movies, the aliens from the Predator movies, Krites from the Critters movies, etc). Give the stats so that other DMs could use them in thier own campaigns if they want.

Of course, if you're really lazy, you could simply supply us with the website of other players homemade monsters stats. For example...

Redneck Trees

www.somethingpositive.net/sp05042002.shtml

You can see those redneck trees in action at...

www.somethingpositive.net/sp04302002.shtml

So go ahead and come up with some new and interesting monsters. I can't wait to read about them.
    Last edited by Tony Misfeldt; 07-24-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I created them in 2e and the stats are somewhere at home, but I thought I'd go ahead and mention one of my favorite homegrown D&D creatures: the intelligent Shaved Weasels.

The Shaved Weasels are a rare and intelligent breed, appearing virtually identical in size and anatomy to regular weasels, but their fur never grows any longer than a few millimeters, creating a very thin stubble that makes the weasels appear and feel as if recently shaved. They have the equivalent intelligence and personality traits of a dolphin and are quite capable of clever learning through observation alone. They are natually unrelentingly curious and are horders of the most cunning sort. They are particularly impressed with shiny objects, retrieving them to be stashed in their underground burrows. They are naturally wary of larger creatures unless befriended, at which point they consider the "friend" to be a member of the community and regard the creature (as they do each other) with fierce loyalty.

Shaved Weasel communities generally number between two to three dozen adults with an equal number of pups, though larger communities numbering in the hundreds are rare but not unheard of. Disturbing the community or threatening its members is ill-advised as such disturbances are generally responded to by almost all adult members of the community. Disturb a Shaved Weasel burrow and you may find yourself assaulted by up to 3 dozen weasels or more. They communicate effectively over long distances using a high-pitched cry that can often be mistaken for bird calls by the unaware and their sensitive noses and scent glands assure that the weasels can locate each other quickly and efficiently.

Very rarely, an unusual specimen of Shaved Weasel is seen that has shiny, golden fur that extends several millimeters longer than normal. These creatures exhibit additional capabilities over their more common bretheren. Their special fur seems to give them a degree of resistance to magic. They also behave in a manner that suggests even higher intelligence than other Shaved Weasels and many are believed to possess some limited telepathic abilites.

For stats, use a regular weasel, but increase their intelligence to 5 or 6 for common Shaved Weasels and 7 or 8 for the "golden" variety. For "goldens", also add Spell Resistance between 15-25 and give them either a telepathic-themed spell or psionic power of your choice of a level not exceeding its hit dice. They can use this power 1/day.

There is also a special magic item pertaining to the Shaved Weasels, aptly named the Pewter Figurine of Shaved Weasel Summoning. The item is a 6-inch tall statue of a Shaved Weasel standing on its hind legs. Though anyone can touch and carry the item, it will not function unless possessed by a creature who has befriended at least one Shaved Weasel colony. In the possession of such an individual, the bearer can feel a slight tingling sensation whenever in the relative presence of Shaved Weasels. The intensity of the tingling is directly related to the distance to and number of nearby Shaved Weasels. The item can detect Shaved Weasels out to a distance of 1 mile. If the bearer is in danger and focuses on the item, up to 10d10 Shaved Weasels within range will be summoned to the bearer's aid. They will move to the bearer's location at top speed and once arriving, they will perform whatever tasks they can to assist the bearer and will sacrifice themselves if necessary, but will not do so foolishly. They will attack enemies, remove bindings or entrapping rubble for instance, but they will not trigger traps, drink poison or do other senseless things that do not serve the bearer's immediate, obvious survival. Once the bearer is safe from immediate threat, the weasels will hang around for a few moments to ensure that the bearer is no longer in danger and they depart for home, returning the way they came. This ability can be used 1/week. The item can also allow the bearer to polymorph into a common Shaved Weasel 1/day. The duration of the polymorph is 1 hour.

HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    wow

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    one of my favorite races involved a retrogressed technologically oriented race that did not believe in magic. so strongly did they not believe that magic would not function at all within range of their senses. or near their technology. a single npc of this race would drive all my players nuts trying to prove that magic worked. whereas this npc would try to convince them of that it was just a psychosis and all in their heads. ^^ great roleplaying.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljearley View Post
    wow
    Yeah, I know. Sometimes I scare even myself.

...and what's really frightening is that I could recite all that from memory...
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting non-standard monsters:

Treasure Golem -- lies around looking like a pile of coins until someone tries to steal one. Think the T-1000 made of gold pieces.

Phaeton One -- a prototype self-sufficient self-repairing battle tank from an age before the apocalypse. No one alive has sufficient clearance to order it around but it is smart enough it has figured out that the military it used to serve is long gone. It's mostly out roaming the wasteland looking for adventure, friends and 2 blueberry flavored OmniVac nutri-bars (the only thing currently missing from its otherwise complete standard survival kit). Potentially a useful ally. Just don't touch the survival kit. It's touchy about that.

Old Mister Click-Click -- a badly damaged battlebot that has long ago run out of ammunition. Its gun still tries to shoot anyone it meets (click-click-click). Its slow -- easy enough to avoid. Just pray it never finds any bullets for its rotary 30mm cannon.

Snapjacks -- Cute little lizards with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. Friendly enough (even trainable as pets!) until mating season. They get extremely vicious and territorial during mating season. They can strip the meat off a skeleton in minutes during mating season. You've arrived the day before mating season. Long enough to get accustomed to these friendly, playful little lizards that are all around. Long enough to get completely surrounded.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the monsters I'm using now are custom, though many are conversions from previous editions that haven't shown up in 4e yet (last night's game featured will-o-wisps and mimics, for instance).

Most recent custom monster:

Sapling (Fey Skirmisher): Fey humanoids made of clumps of vines. When they are away from their native vegetation (sapling vines: large clumps of vines thick enough to conceal doorways and such), they resemble halflings, but they can disassemble into vines and shift through any squares containing sapling vines as a move action. They wield barbed whips dripping with acid, and can pull short vines out of their bodies that stiffen into javelins.

Sapling Pacifier (Fey Controller): Like the normal saplings, these creatures are made of vines and can travel through vine clumps easily, but coalesce into creatures resembling beautiful elf maidens when away from the vine clumps. Their main attack is a spray of hallucinogenic gas; to use this attack, they revert to their true form momentarily, that of a humanoid-shaped cluster of vines with a large orchid for a head. Creatures affected by this gas think they are back at home, safe and sound, and that the adventure was just a terrible nightmare (incapacitated, save ends). Sapling Pacifiers also carry whips similar to those used by normal saplings, but also use longbows, forming arrows from their bodies.

Tactics: These creatures use vine clumps to their advantage- wounded saplings will transit through the vines to take up position for ranged attacks, and fresh saplings will travel through the vines to replace them at the front line. The vines themselves can be destroyed (10 hp) to prevent them from doing this.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmcbride View Post
    Snapjacks -- Cute little lizards with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. Friendly enough (even trainable as pets!) until mating season. They get extremely vicious and territorial during mating season. They can strip the meat off a skeleton in minutes during mating season. You've arrived the day before mating season. Long enough to get accustomed to these friendly, playful little lizards that are all around. Long enough to get completely surrounded.

Gary
    Some of the strangest real-world animal behaviors occur during "mating season". For instance, there's a species of tree-bound mice in which the males will mate non-stop with females for 3 straight days, eschewing food, water or rest. By the end of the 3-day peroid, all the adult males drop dead from exhaustion and are eventually replaced by the new litters raised by the females. Glad I'm not one of those critters.
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    well lets see i had a lvl 38 caster in a dragonlance game of all places. Yes i planeswalked alot to level. But anyway my guy was obsessed with balance so i researched and developed an epic spell called origen of species and started making my own monsters and races to balance out the ones in the setting. here are the monsters i tride to make opposites for. There would have been more but the spell had an exp cost.

Displacer beasts- I made a race of albino inteligent tigers that bond with a humanoid and protect them. the were intelligent and could cast mirror image on themselves as aposed to displacement.

Draconians- I stole evil dragon eggs and purified them before using them as the component for my spell. I made a race of large size humans with dragon wings of each of the five chomatics. Each color had diffrent attributes and favored classes. and liek elves they when they bred they would only produce one of the parents liniendge. thus a blue winged dragon heir as i called them when bred with a red winged would produce one or the other be it blue or red. This was my favorite race as it got very fleshed out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've came up with a variety of monsters for the game I play in. Below are some of my favorites.

Biter Coins:

These in appearance look like regular average coins. Until someone opens up that treasure box and coins with sharp teeth start biting there flesh. Think of these things like the Scarabs from The Mummy. These things can be set as both a monster and a trap.

Death Striker:

Ok these things appear as small dark knights weilding a scythe. They can do 1 of 6 attacks.

1: fire
    2: ice
    3: Health Absorption
    4: Telikinesis
    5: Dark Energy (Automatic Death)
    6: Paralysis

Roll 1 D6 to see which attack it will use. If you kill this creature you can take it's armor and scythe.

The Junk Monster:

This is basically a pile of scrap metal, old weapons, and other things from behind a weapon shop. It came to life with a magical dust. Basically no physical attack can harm it seeing as how if you attack it with a weapon, it will become fused to it's body. If you kill the monster whatever it's body was made of is yours.

The Gem Idol:

It's a gold idol with gems of all sorts fused onto it. Go ahead and take the gems off it's body and the once idle statue will come to life and start attacking with massive gold arms launching them like a cannon. Consider yourself rich if you slay this beast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mercury Golem: Basically the T1000 from the movie T2: Judgement Day. He has all the same abilities that the T1000 did in the movie. It has the same hit dice and strength scores as an iron golem. It has many of the iron golem's spell immunities as well. Lightning Bolt spells actually have a Haste effect on the mercury golem. Cold spells such as Cone Of Cold and Ice Storm will act as a Hold Person spell if they do damage equal to the mercury golem's total hit points. It is vulnerable to magical fire and could be totally destroyed by any such attacks that do enough damage. Physical damage in melee combat can only be done by weapons of +5 enchantment, and even then it only suffers damage from the magical bonus not the weapon itself (a greatsword +5 would only do 5 points of damage per successful hit, not 2d6+5). Should a mercury golem form its limbs into slashing weapons, it will have vorpal abilities on a roll of 17 or greater.

Downloads
    Uploads
    www.somethingpositive.net also has an entry for The Infernal Tax Collector, but I was unable to find it on the website. If any of you know where it is on the website or happen to find it while scrolling through the comics, please post the apropriate link on this thread so we can all enjoy it. It's quite humerous.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Höllekind -- Or "Hate Child" a creature from the depths of Hell itself. A demonic beast that eats human flesh and disguises itself as a helpless child to lure in victims. Höllekind are shape changers. They can assume several forms, notably a child, a semi-human beast with long claws, and a dog-like creature. They are extremely strong. Said to have the strength of six. They can only be harmed with blessed weapons and holy water. They must be summoned to get loose on the world, an act of hateful evil.

I peg this one at about 10 hd. +8 str, +4 wis and +4 cha in the child form. I go light on the super natural ability and spell like abilities. It is mainly a brick Hit points and AC. It doesn't summon other devils/demons. It is only ever found one at a time.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I made a mithral wraith - think of a Midas's Golden Touch, but mithral and used by a wraith. I posted it here:
    http://www.dmtools.org/details.php?id=799

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dream Stalker

Also known as a Sleep Slasher and a Dream Demon (though this last name is a misnomer as it isn't a demon from Hell or The Abyss, but rather an undead spirit). It is the vengeful spirit of an extremely evil person who comitted horrific crimes in life and was executed by a lynch mob without a fair trial. In order to become a Dream Stalker, one must first be of either a Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil alignment. Second, he must have an Intelligence and a Wisdom score of no less than 16. Third, he must be guilty of the most heinous of crimes (pedophile, rapist, serial killer, cannibal, or any combination there of). Third, he must be lynched for those crimes (thus, a serial killer who kidnaps, rapes, kills, and then eats children who is lynched for those crimes could come back as a Dream Stalker, one who goes off to war and dies on the battlefield could not). Even if all these conditions are met, there is still only a 10% chance of him returning as a Dream Stalker. Those odds increase by 5% for each point above 16 his INT or WIS was when he died (thus a 17 INT and a 16 WIS would equal 15%, a 17 INT and 17 WIS equals 20%, etc). Then, one year and a day after his lynching he begins stalking his victims again, this time in their dreams.

A Dream Stalker has the same hit dice, attack bonus/THAC0, AC, etc as a ghost. He can only attack his victims in their dreams. As long as you don't fall asleep, he can't hurt you. But once you're asleep, he has complete control over what it is you're dreaming. And when he attacks you, any damage your dream self suffers in your subconcious, your physical body suffers in real life. And the more people a Dream Stalker kills in their sleep, the more powerful he becomes. For every victim he kills, he gains one hit point. He can continue gaining hit points until his hit dice increases to that of more powerful undead (4HD becomes 5, etc).

Fighting a Dream Stalker is difficult at best. To fight him on his own turf, you must first take control of your own dream. This is done by making a successfull Willpower/Wisdom check. Once you have control of your dream, you must grapple with the Dream Stalker just before you wake up (this can be more difficult than it sounds if he likes to use weapons such as knives or axes). When you awaken, you force him from the Dream World into the Waking World where he is vulnerable to physical attacks. His physical body can now be destroyed. If defeated in simple melee the Dream Stalker isn't destroyed, simply banished for a year and a day when he will return with the same number of hit points/hit dice he had when he first returned as a Dream Stalker. In order to truly destroy him when brought into the Waking World, he must be turned/rebuked by a priest/cleric of Tyr, Torm, or Hoar who is powerful enough to utterly destroy an undead spirit through their deity, or he must be struck with a Mace Of Disruption by a Neutral Good cleric of one of those three deities. The priests or clerics of any other deity can only banish him for a year and a day.

Dream Stalkers appear in your dreams much as they looked in life. They may take on the appearance of other people you know, perhaps even friends and family, in order to play mind games, but when they strike it's usually as themselves. Often their dream appearance is determined by the means by which they were killed. Someone who was drowned may always appear sopping wet, while someone who was burned alive may be covered in horrible burns, or someone who was decapitated may appear much like The Headless Horseman. But as it takes incredible mental discipline to even have a chance to become a Dream Stalker, this is often up to the individual spirit.

Preventing one from becoming a Dream Stalker simply requires them to be justly accused, tried, and convicted in a fair court of law (prefferably overseen by a priest of either Tyr or Torm). If sentenced to death, the execution must by lawfully completed and should be blessed by a priest/cleric of either Tyr, Torm, or Hoar. It's by the omittance of these steps that allow Dream Stalkers to exist at all.

As you may have guessed, this is the D&D version of Freddy Krueger.
    Last edited by Tony Misfeldt; 08-05-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast