Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: How important is D&D to you

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would play any fantasy game

98 59.76%
  • I would play any thematicly similar fanasty game (Monsters!)

20 12.20%
  • I would play a D&D setting (FR, Eberron, etc) no matter what rules were used

23 14.02%
  • D&D only

23 14.02%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you play D&D if it wasn't D&D

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hard to answer...

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I like to play D&D more than other fantasy based games due to the variety of settings, especially in 2e and some of the setting options given with 3.x. I'm not a fan of d20, but favor the system used in WFRP...the only other system i like for their mechanics is Savage Worlds. But i guess the settings override any objections i have with the core rules system.
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always preferred DnD, although my favorite game is Hackmaster; the best of AD&D with all kinds of extra crunchy bits! Certainly not for the casual gamer though.
    Last edited by madcrazy986; 05-21-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: semicolon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D is the gateway system; some people are satisfied with the pleasant buzz it provides while others require bigger thrills. RPGs are what the players and GMs make of them. House rules rule. If awarding the money in the middle of the board to the player who lands on Free Parking makes the game more fun, do it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    ...House rules rule. If awarding the money in the middle of the board to the player who lands on Free Parking makes the game more fun, do it.
    Heh...my family plays Monopoly with that particular house rule as well! In fact, my father insists that it's the only "proper" way to play!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Heh...my family plays Monopoly with that particular house rule as well! In fact, my father insists that it's the only "proper" way to play!
    "Error" in rules printing, in that it's conveniently missing from all editions ... Is this not expected from an entity known as The Bank? :P

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gajenx View Post
    I mined the GURPS ideas on runes so that people can in game use them more easily and without them being broken from when I did Runequest games. The has it set up that once you cast a rune you can invoke it and all it controls as a swift equivalent action in DnD. So completely broken in that system. Thus UI modified it with the GURPS noun Verb pairings of things and fine it to work better and allow for runestyle casters as PCs.
    You would probably like Athala's magic system. Sounds pretty much like what you just described. It's a French game I came across a while back.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've run DnD games where I did quite a bit of modifying to the rules in order to make the setting more realistic including radical things such as separate pools for hit points (body and stamina), a critical hits system that I devised, a spell point system and other such things. Some may argue that with this many and drastic alterations it isn't DnD. This may be true, but that's beside the point. DnD was the basis and with enough "house rules" or campaign rules DnD can be used for any setting and most players are familiar with it - as long as you clearly state (or better yet, write out) what the changes are and play test them a bit beforehand.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hamblet View Post
    Some may argue that with this many and drastic alterations it isn't DnD. This may be true, but that's beside the point.
    Hey, not throwing any stones over here.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    D&D isn't D&D if it's not D&D.

For example, class based rules. Fantasy Hero (HERO System) is nothing but a fantasy hack done poorly. You can be do'anything'man and not specialize if you don't want.

Another example would be the monsters. Fantasy Hero deals more with humanoid enemies than true monsters. Sure, there are some, but what's the point. You just hit them till they're unconscious. D&D there is actual death.

If there's to be fantasy RP, then D&D needs to be the guide.

That's my opinion.
    I like the mechanics and feel of D&D 3.5

I like the rules too and when I run a game, I change the ones I don't want there, simple as that.

But do'anything'man made me laugh.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if it isn't D&D it's a game some one is just copying from D&D.. fantasy game anyway.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by berginyon View Post
    if it isn't D&D it's a game some one is just copying from D&D.. fantasy game anyway.
    So Amber, Barbarians of Lemuria, and Elric of Melnibone are just cheap knockoffs of D&D? Someone should tell Michael Moorcock and the estate of Roger Zelazny.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty much the only way I'll play D&D tabletop is if it is NOT D&D/D20 system, so I answered yes to this one. WFRP has its problems but it's light years preferable, and I'd be happy to try out some other rules sets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the WFRP setting is far more preferable than any published D&D setting, but in general, I don't much like the WFRP system. Much of it is just D20 in 5% increments. That said, I do prefer the level-less advancement and the general lethality of WFRP (the latter can be accomplished easily enough in D20 at lower levels). My main problem with D&D D20 is that it is really good at and focused on the things I don't much care about: high fantasy and tactical blow-by-blow combat. When I do get a hankering to play high/epic fantasy, we usually just use Mutants and Masterminds. Character creation is much easier and game play goes much smoother.

All "in my opinion" of course.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i play the d&d mechanics because i've used them for 15+ years and am familiar with them. but i also enjoy playing in other systems with with i'm familiar (gurps, car wars, palladium, star frontiers, rolemaster...) so i think my conclusion is that i'm willing to play any system that i am, or can become, familiar with. and the become familiar with = mooch or cheap/free. ^^

any system works if everyone cooperates and has some familiarity.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D's a heck of a lot of fun, but GURPS (GURPS Fantasy, your own GURPS system, or somewhere in between) is also a lot of fun. I just love fantasy RPGs, regardless. I will say though that I don't really look at D&D 4e as D&D. I don't mean that in an elite-gamer way. Two of my friends enjoy playing it, and so we'll all play it. But I found that I have to think of it as just a new WotC game instead of new D&D. New versions should improve upon existing systems and I feel that 4e is just its own brand new system with some common elements. All that being said, I now prefer Pathfinder, but I'll play nearly anything and I'll have a good time doing it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast