Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dark Side Points

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    That rule is still in effect. My game is very dark and gritty - there are no shades of grey. Everyone picks a side Empire or Overthrow the Empire, where picking your own side is basically saying Empire. I know ths probably is an affront to people's line of thinking these days. What can I say, I'm sort of sithish in that something is either evil or not evil, nothing in between. Or as my wife keeps telling me - black and white, no compromise.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dytrrnikl View Post
    For non force-sensitives, darkside points are a tad bit tougher to acquire, but not much. Example, in the original Theatrical release of Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope...when Greedo catches Han Solo in the Cantina, Han actually shot Greedo before Greedo even twitched his finger on the blaster. In the strictest sense, while Greedo was threatening Solo with a blaster pointed at him, Greedo did nothing to indicate that he was going to blast Solo, only that he was trying to get Solo to fork over credits due Jabba. I would more than likely give Solo a darkside point for this, as he used misdirection and deception to draw his blaster under the table and then Greedo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dytrrnikl View Post

Now, with the latest release of Star Wars, Lucas actually has Greedo firing a shot off at Han's head and missing, prior to Han pulling the trigger. This then becomes a case of self-defense, and thus no Darkside Point.
    Wrong.

Greedo: [though some believe he is speaking in Rodian, Greedo is actually speaking Huttese; subtitled] Going somewhere, Solo?
    Han Solo: Yes, Greedo. I was just coming to see your boss. Tell Jabba I have his money, at last.
    Greedo: It's too late. You should have paid him at the first chance you had. Now Jabba's put a price on your head so large, every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you first.
    Han Solo: Yeah, but this time I've got the money.
    Greedo: If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.
    Han Solo: I don't have it with me. Tell Jabba...
    Greedo: Jabba's through with you. He has no use for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.
    Han Solo: Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?
    Greedo: You can tell that to Jabba. He may only take your ship.
    Han Solo: Over my dead body!
    Greedo: [he doesn't notice Han going for his gun] That's the idea... I've been looking forward to this for a long time.
    Han Solo: Yeah, I'll bet you have.
    [Han Blows Greedo away]
    Han Solo: [as Han calmly leaves, he flips the bartender a coin] Sorry about the mess.

The Key phrase being "Over my dead body", and Greedo saying yup I'm gonna do it. If someone is pointing a gun at me then I take that as a threatening posture and actions against that person are self defense, no dark side point.

People put too much emphasis on playing the goodie good guy. I welcome and encourage the dark side in my game. I even have a Sith Apprentice on the Jedi council and he isn't hiding it. The game takes place after RotJ but Vader survives and is turned back to the light side to become Anakin and started a new Jedi council with Luke. Learning from the mistakes of the past the Jedi don't fear the dark side (which in itself is a contradiction) they have invited a known sith to be on the council to study the dark side to better understand it. The players are aware of their actions that will cause them a dark side point. Even my GMPC got a dsp for beheading a captive. The reason being is he hates Trandoshans because one killed his best friend. It is all based on character development and real role playing. My GMPC doesn't like it when he gets angry so he is working with the council to control his anger or embrace it. This creates an inner conflict with the character. This keeps with my style of not interfering with free will and building around characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    I have found it quite difficult to encourage PCs to "flirt" with the Dark Side. There are very rare situations that I can put the PCs in that will give them DSPs. In my game with 5 9th level PCs I think there is a total of 3 DSPs between them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post

For my Jedi character that I play, if it were not for a Dawn of Defiance campaign (where you may not atone) then my character would be going back and forth with the dark side all the time. Even though I am having fun playing the super serious light side Jedi!

Anyone else have any issues in the frequency in which PCs gain DSPs?
    It is all about the characters inbreed fear that the dark side is something that should be avoided at all costs. Like I did with my GMPC he is going through a tough loss and using anger to deal with it. Depending on the maturity and RPing skill of the players you can always add more dark themes to the game. Think about things that would make you angry and do that to the players. Or do the opposite; give them someone to love something that goes against tradition. Then combine the two. If the players truly want to play their characters then they should eventually break out of their shells, ignoring it in my opinion is just poor role playing. Oh your mom just got raped and murdered, “oh ok time to go bring the murderer to justice, done.” If the players take that attitude have the murderer taunt the heck out of them and always escape. We are not playing emotionless Vulcans, we are playing Jedi.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by A Flannel Shirt View Post
    <lots of text>
    Er, yeah.

First thought: "roleplaying" isn't satisfactorily defined for the entire hobby (despite being used to paint games and/or styles one doesn't like as "not roleplaying;" qualifier "real" optional). Adding "good" or "bad", or "mature" values judgements makes it more likely your main argument is glossed over in favor of a definitions debate. (Effective, though, but not entirely productive for discussions like this, methinks.)

That said, what folks want out of a game isn't universal, either; playing the shiny do-gooder is just as valid as the gritty antihero. 'Specially in a setting such as Star Wars, where the lines between Good and Evil are canonically marked by hat color.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    People put too much emphasis on playing the goodie good guy. I welcome and encourage the dark side in my game. I even have a Sith Apprentice on the Jedi council and he isn't hiding it. The game takes place after RotJ but Vader survives and is turned back to the light side to become Anakin and started a new Jedi council with Luke. Learning from the mistakes of the past the Jedi don't fear the dark side (which in itself is a contradiction) they have invited a known sith to be on the council to study the dark side to better understand it. The players are aware of their actions that will cause them a dark side point. Even my GMPC got a dsp for beheading a captive. The reason being is he hates Trandoshans because one killed his best friend. It is all based on character development and real role playing. My GMPC doesn't like it when he gets angry so he is working with the council to control his anger or embrace it. This creates an inner conflict with the character. This keeps with my style of not interfering with free will and building around characters.

First, interesting and intriguing idea having a Sith on the council so as to better understand the darkside. Sounds as though there is some influence from the end of the Yushong Vong series with that, but I could be wrong.

My view of the Han Solo/Greedo scene was not wrong, simply a different interpretation that falls within how I happen to handle Star Wars when I run the game. Real life as we all know is all about moral ambiguity and shades of grey, nothing being clearly defined. I play RPGs to get away from that, by having and enforcing clear ideas of what I, the GM, see as being Good and Evil. Shades of Grey and moral ambiguity in my games end up being supportive of the side of evil - essentialloy making my games being the struggle between Good and ever worsening degrees of Evil. Does this mesh with and support canon and expanded universe Star Wars as presented by Lucas and many others...absolutely not. But it has allowed me to find a way to make Star Wars my own, and enjoyable for me and my group.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe wrong was a bad choice of word.

There are a total of seven people on the council in my game. Luke, Anakin (He is still in the armor but it is white and has a more rounded breath mask) A light side wookie and his former student a light side Draethos, the Sith (PC - Human), a Jedi that specializes in light saber combat (My DMPC - Human) and a cross classed Nobel/Jedi (Human). The NewRepublic has been formed but the Empire is regrouping and a new Emperor is about to be named. The Jedi council is engaged in recapturing a planet that is being occupied by a droid army since the clone wars. The mystery being that no one knows how these droids are still functioning after their remote command ships have been destroyed.

My final thought on the matter is as long as people are consistent with how they do things and it is fun that is all matters.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345