Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your alternate, secondary weapon?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up What's your alternate, secondary weapon?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Played in a game years ago, through a bunch of bad roles, my character lost his primary weapon and had to make due with his alternate, or secondary, weapon/s, you had to make due with.

So everyone, please share with us
    1) Your character, and class
    2) Which rpg, and edition, if applicable
    3) Your primary weapon that you lost
    4) Your alternate, secondary weapon/s

I'll begin:

1) Human Fighter
    2) DnD 2E (S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks)
    3) 2-handed Sword, broke while trying to open the steel door, rolled 1's
    4) Long sword collected from an earlier battle. Fighter had no skills with it. Oh well, it was better than a dagger.

Just thought of another, and more recent, situation:
    1) Ogre, unofficial rules
    2) WFRP, 1E
    3) Wielded a huge sword. Rolled 1's. Sword stuck in cranium of a Chaos Troll (can grow to 18+ feet in WFRP), and found there wasn't enough time to remove it w/o giving multiple Beastmen a free attack. Long, kinda sickly, but humorous story.
    4) Started throwing carcasses at the bad guys. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. It did buy him enough time till help arrived. Had to use a small tree truck after that as a club. Eventually replaced sword.

What share you?

Thoth-Amon
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 04-30-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Ranger
    2) DnD 2 sorta, Homebrew Mod Underdark
    3) Comp Longbow, String cut by drow in ambush
    4) Confiscated her hand Crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Oh well, it was better than a dagger.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Note to self: Always carry spare bowstrings, that way if the GM makes the mistake of detailing the bowstring being cut as how it was messed up in combat you can just replace it once you get a little space. (I'm guessing a full round to string a bow, but of course D&D doesn't have enough realism in the rules to include something like that lol)
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my favorite was not my own, but a friends.

In 1e DnD, my illusionist/thief gnome friend lost his short sword, and all we could afford was a burlap sack full of doorknobs.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2E, playing over in Saudi in 91.

Playing the dwarf fighter, Flemin. We were ambushed by a group of goblins. While fighting, rolled a 1 and was told that I droped my battle axe. On my next attack, DM asked if I wanted to use my turn to pick my axe back up. Told him no, I just swing my other arm that had my shield. This time i rolled a 18 and sent one of the goblins flying. While the rest were watching their fellow fly through the air, it allowed the mage to cast a web spell that caught 3/4 of them. The remaining 1/4 fled.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Arzeck the Red, a.k.a. Arczek the Wanderer, Zenith Caste Solar
    2) Exalted 1st edition
    3) He dual wielded a short sword and a spear. We were on a ship (not my PC's favorite mode of transportation) and were boarded by unfriendlies. In the fight (in which my weapons were not available, since it was unexpected), he was thrown overboard. He managed to climb back onto the ship via a convenient dangling rope.
    4) He then stripped off his wet leather jacket and siezed a mop, snapping the head off of it. It was ruled that the mop handle could count as a spear and using that and the wet leather jacket as an improvised whip, he went to town on the baddies.

Improvised weapons are always made of win.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    backup weapons, shield, head, fist, rock pretty much anything at hand. My character once tried to strangle a guy with a sling.

I once had a player lose his +5 sword. So he pulled up his other + 5 sword after perusing his three page list of equipment. *sigh* Turns out he kept everything, from every encounter, for a long, long, long, time. With calculator in hand, I finally had to be an ass about the encumbrance rules.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian-Sunaka View Post
    Note to self: Always carry spare bowstrings, that way if the GM makes the mistake of detailing the bowstring being cut as how it was messed up in combat you can just replace it once you get a little space. (I'm guessing a full round to string a bow, but of course D&D doesn't have enough realism in the rules to include something like that lol)
    Where were you when I was buying supplies, you could have reminded me... Gee Thanks for the non help ROFLMO

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's what ever I happen to pull off the weapon using enemy I just killed.
    "And then you wake up."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i think mine is usually the shao-lin kung fu approved method of dealing with aggression.

(in the common vernacular, "run away.")
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    backup weapons, shield, head, fist, rock pretty much anything at hand. My character once tried to strangle a guy with a sling.

I once had a player lose his +5 sword. So he pulled up his other + 5 sword after perusing his three page list of equipment. *sigh* Turns out he kept everything, from every encounter, for a long, long, long, time. With calculator in hand, I finally had to be an ass about the encumbrance rules.
    I don't see that as you being an ass, myself and those DM's I have played with, have always kept on eye on the players carrying too much, tho we are not strict about just give player a nudge. Though even then you sometimes have to firm with them.. But I have found bags of holding to be extrenely useful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    my favorite secondary was for a elf cleric in a 3.5 D&D game

I was given a worthwhile sword to use and instead when the lead of some band of highwaymen/ thugs attacked I threw the used chamberpot on them.

Does that count?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Patrick (the drunken cast out priest)
    http://www.incarna.net/iweb/host/kel...chars/patrick/
    2) Incarna, version 1.0
    3) walking stick - its primary self defense in Crow Alley and the slums where he preaches
    4) "improvised" (character took familiarity) - begging bowl, rock, robe tie... when you stumble drunk into a fight, you have to use anything on hand

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my grey elven archer's bow is a bow-staff, so he can use that as a staff, or the mirror sword he found as a backup weapon, for when he can't keep the distance. the mirror sword is an unusual weapon in that it creates an illusionary duplicate in the opposite hand that only deals subdual damage. the sword and it's double can swap hands at a mere thought.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I currently play in a homebrew 3.5 where I have an elf rogue. When he was a low level rogue he had to use a knife when he dropped his primary weapon, a dagger.

That same campaign, one of the players had to use a bucket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast