Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: The Horseman in the White Horse - Are you prepared?

Downloads
    Uploads

The Horseman in the White Horse - Are you prepared?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well, swine flu is all over the news.

The only deaths so far from this "strain" are in Mexico, I can only theorize this is due to Mexicans (I am one) being so used to "automedication" and/or don't go to the doctor as often as they should.

We can already rule out containment, one can only hope for our immune system to be ready.

Now, let's hope this does not get aggravated with the current state of the Economy.

As for extra precautions? Are there any extra-ordinary ones you are taking?
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bar the doors!

Arm the children!

Shoot any visitors (up to and to include family members)
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Meh, I don't get flu, any flu.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the hubbs has been sick with flu-like symptoms for a couple of days, so if I'm going to get it there's not much I can do about it. He won't go to the doctor for the same macho reasons most guys won't, even though he's insured properly. I don't usually get sick but once or twice a year. I heard it made its way to New Zealand from 10 kids who went on a school field trip to Mexico and that people in Spain (I think) are reporting cases of it. So far, it's not been really fatal in the US. I think I saw there were 20 cases of it and only one of those had to be hospitalized.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just wrote this blog on this subject on a different site. It was solely for humor purposes, but they mention that WHO(world health organization) decides if it should be labeled as pandemic or not and i wrote about how the band The Who came into such a position to label flu's as pandemics

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, my wife has a tendency to worry about things that she cannot change (like the fact that there have been confirmed cases of of swine flu in Texas. I wonder how other people are reacting to it?

Personally, if I get infected I'd probably get myself to a doctor double-quick especially since I have an infant here and an elderly parent and grandparent.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a word for this; "Disasterbation". The media thrives on it. I am quite sure this is all much adue about nothing. Flu has been ending the world for at least the last ten years of not more. Funny but the world ending pandemic has not matieralized. Ebola (much scaier) has not killed us all, the lastest strain of flu has not killed us all. Terrorists have not killed us all. Even the Doctors have not killed us all.

I keep my nose clean, practice good hygiene, and go about my life. I refuse to cower in fear on command. I refuse to worry about events I cannot control. Yes, a mountian might fall from mthe sky and kill us all. Not a damn thing I can do about it. So why obsess over the chance?

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny thing about "swine flu" if you look it up on Wikipedia you discover that this is like the fourth time the disease has done this.

Since we're all still alive and the world hasn't been depopulated yet, I don't think we have much to worry about...
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Downloads
    Uploads
    not worried about it to much, but that being said ill be one to die from it...xD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RMajere View Post
    Funny thing about "swine flu" if you look it up on Wikipedia you discover that this is like the fourth time the disease has done this.

Since we're all still alive and the world hasn't been depopulated yet, I don't think we have much to worry about...
    Funny thing about flus, they mutate. Which is why people get a flu shot every year. Every year it's a different virus and the vaccines from last year won't work (even if they hadn't expired). We've had several flu pandemics, including one that killed 50 million people (I forget the name). The fact that swine flu has made the rounds a couple times should be more worrisome, not less.

That aside, just take common sense precautions about your own health (which you should be doing already, anyway) and hope for the best. Not much you can do about it, anyway.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    50 million killed I believe was the Spanish Flu back in 1918. There werent proper vaccines to fight it back then. If it were to have came out today, it probably only would have killed a few hundred at most. Although if it didnt hit back then modern medicine wouldnt be what it is today.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by goddessgood
    Funny thing about flus, they mutate.

If they're going to mutate and infect us anyway, why worry about it. Just take all the normal precautions. If you get sick just take care of yourself the best you can and go to the doc. if need be.

Not much else one can do vs. viruses and bacteria anyway...
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Except, y'know, make a vaccine and/or take anti-biotics (if you need them).

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound so snarky. They were saying on the news about how it's difficult to get an accurate count of the number of swine flu cases in Mexico because the culture is such that, if they don't think they are at death's door, people don't go in for medical care. That macho BS really gets to me. Why suffer for weeks if you can just man up, admit you're not superman and go get some freaking tamiflu?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Except, y'know, make a vaccine and/or take anti-biotics (if you need them).

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound so snarky. They were saying on the news about how it's difficult to get an accurate count of the number of swine flu cases in Mexico because the culture is such that, if they don't think they are at death's door, people don't go in for medical care. That macho BS really gets to me. Why suffer for weeks if you can just man up, admit you're not superman and go get some freaking tamiflu?
    And how do you tell if it's swine flu? Do you oink between vomiting?

Much ado About Nothing! However, political agendas will be fostered in the current climate of generated fear and panic. Fearful people agree to stupid concessions.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What really gets me is here in America there's this mentality that you can't stop doing stuff if you get sick. You need to continue going to work, out with friends, to the gym, etc... which not only infects everyone else you come into contact with, but if you take drugs while you're doing all this, we end up with superbugs.

Personally I never understood that. If I get sick, I'd rather take 1-2 days off of work to concentrate totally on getting better and then return to work healthy, than try to work through my illness and evetually have to take a week off or something becuase I ended up with pneumonia or some other God awful disease.

Americans (I am one) just need to slow down and realize that the world will not end if there not out in it for a day or two, hehe.
    Yours in Magic,
    R. Majere