Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Undermountain, anyone?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Undermountain, anyone?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I just noticed the other day on our release calendar that, according to Amazon anyway, Wizards of the coast is releasing Expedition to Undermountain in June. I don't see it listed on Wizard's official product list yet, but how awesome would that be? I remember the 2nd edition version well. I may not run very many dungeon crawls these days, and I almost never run modules or pregenerated material, but I'd pick this up and run my players through it.

One of my favorite scenes happened while running a game in Undermountain (when I was around 15, I guess). My players had been deliving around the first level and were accidently transported to the second level without even realizing it. As they are stalking the dungeon corridors, trying to get their barings, they open one door to a "30x30" room with a Beholder hanging out in the middle of it. Before I could even finish the rest of the description, the character waves at the beholder, says "oops, sorry, wrong room," and promptly closes the door and walks away. I decided that the beholder was so stunned and amused by this, he decided to let the PCs get away.

Anyway, here's the book description:

Faerun's deadliest dungeon beckons!

Expedition to Undermountain is a Dugeons & Dragons super-adventure that revisits the greatest dungeon in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. Located beneath the city of Waterdeep, Undermountain has lured countless heroes to their doom.

Like other adventures in the "Expedition" series, this product takes a classic D&D location, updates it for D&D v.3.5, and features many new surprises. Rich with source material for players and a new combat encounter format designed to make the Dungeon Master's job easier, as well as information to help Dungeon Masters adapt the adventure to serve their home campaigns.

Downloads
    Uploads

bwahahaa

Farcaster,

check my post in "worst D&D gaming moments" for my favorite Undermountain experience... its beholder related...
    Warm Regards,

Nok, MBA
    Chief Barbaric Officer (CBO)
    Stone Age Technical Consultancy

"We brought you fire, and it burned! Now try our latest offering - the wheel! You'll swear it goes round and round! Ask me about it - TODAY!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    I think the GM was really pissed at us since we had always destroyed his shoddy encounters in previous campaigns - in any case - the other 6 players follow me assuming i was following my treasure nose.... Only to find that less than 500 feet into the 1st level of Undermountain was a "Beholder Hive".
    Definitely sounds like your DM had it in for you... That's for sure. I wonder what they are going to do with this revision. The biggest problem I had with Undermountain was that there were so many directions the PCs could go and so much of the dungeon left void of description or purpose. Unless you heard your PCs in a particular direction, it makes it somewhat difficult to plan for. There once was a time that I would spend hours on end drawing and detailing a 3 level, 80+ room dungeon of my own, but, alas, those days are over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own the Undermountain Boxset. Mostly I have to say ... eh ... Yes, it is big. No doubt there. Indeed, it is very very big. But is the sort of pointless a-mad-wizard-loves-stocking-his-pet-dungeon-with-dangers-and-treasures crawl that is really more fun as a video game.

When I roleplay I want something more than a mega-dungeon that we are systematically cleaning out one room at a time. Even the Temple of Elemental Evil, the grand daddy of all mega dungeons, had five rival temples that you could pit against one another.

Sure, you could turn Undermountain into something more interesting, but then you are definitely going beyond the scope of the box set.

Skullport is the exception to all this by the way. I really dig Skullport, the seemy underbelly of Waterdeep that connects the Underdark to the worlds of the surface races.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that it definitely has an inane quality to it. My games have long since progressed from the mindless dungeon crawls that I used to create into more complicated and far more creative stories. That said, every once in a while it is nice to take a break away and do something like Undermountain. Although not nearly as large in scope, at the end of my last campaign, my players tromped through the Fortress of the Lich Queen which was part of the Githyanki Incursion campaign. We rarely do lengthy dungeon crawls, but getting through that fortress took 5 gaming sessions, and my players loved it! (And they have been itching for a good meaty dungeon crawl ever since)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I agree that it definitely has an inane quality to it. My games have long since progressed from the mindless dungeon crawls that I used to create into more complicated and far more creative stories. That said, every once in a while it is nice to take a break away and do something like Undermountain. Although not nearly as large in scope, at the end of my last campaign, my players tromped through the Fortress of the Lich Queen which was part of the Githyanki Incursion campaign. We rarely do lengthy dungeon crawls, but getting through that fortress took 5 gaming sessions, and my players loved it! (And they have been itching for a good meaty dungeon crawl ever since)
    If you are looking for a good meaty dungeon crawl I have two recommendations:

I hear good things about Rappan Athuk Reloaded.

Delve into Goodman Game's Dungeon Crawl Classic line. No it's not one dungeon, but instead it is many dungeons that could be thematically linked. I especially like "Crypt of the Devil Lich" and "The Adventure Begins".

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WoTC's product list has been updated all the way through the end of 2007, and I do see it on there now:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...racc/957327200

No more details than we already had though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WoTC's product list has been updated all the way through the end of 2007, and I do see it on there now:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...racc/957327200

No more details than we already had though.

There are three Expedition to ... adventures announced so far for this year
    Undermountain
    Castle Greyhawk
    Demonweb Pits

I already own Castle Ravenloft and will probably pick up these three as well. My expectations are pretty low. They will probably be full of crunchy 3.5 madness and have a few really good ideas that I will steal.

The Expedition to ... I am really hoping for ...

The Barrier Peaks. I want hot robot on adventurer action.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmcbride View Post
    The Expedition to ... I am really hoping for ...

The Barrier Peaks. I want hot robot on adventurer action.
    Sure, old-time gamers mention vegepygmies and cool high-tech gear, but they really think about the fembot. Yeah, baby!

You could convert all the female characters in The Pleasure Prison of the B'thuvian Demon Whore to robots, but the result might be too intense for the mere hobbyist gamer.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are three Expedition to ... adventures announced so far for this year
    Undermountain
    Castle Greyhawk
    Demonweb Pits
    Hurray! I remember Castle Greyhawk well. Even though my first experience running a game in that module may have been bad, I still remember spending long hours reading over the books and loving it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hurray! I remember Castle Greyhawk well. Even though my first experience running a game in that module may have been bad, I still remember spending long hours reading over the books and loving it.
    Which Castle Greyhawk did you run ... the funny one or the big one?

Even though it is widely despised, I have a certain fondness for the funny one. It has a fluffyquest adventure in it (Fluffy Goes Down the Drain) and includes the WereMoose saying, "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a Tarrasque out my hat!"

And as for that fembot crack, Frank, do not make me use my froghemoth against you! Besides the injection-happy nursebot is so not my type. Now Drelzna, via S4 Tsojcanth, there is one hot first edition babe. And she bites.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Besides the injection-happy nursebot is so not my type. Now Drelzna, via S4 Tsojcanth, there is one hot first edition babe. And she bites.
    Ugh. A vampire? They're so needy. If it's not "I vant to dringk your bloot", it's endless monologues about the curse of immortality and the horror of their night-dwelling mass murdering existence, puntuated by sips from their current victim.

Others may swoon at vampires or drow queens or gynosphinx receptionists, but I'll stick with the nursebot. Among other things, she's reprogrammable, and if that's not a dream girl, I don't know what is. ("Darling, I'd love to play D&D with you tonight. Who wants to go to a silly overpriced dance club anyway?")
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)