Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Which version of Traveller RPG is your favorite? Poll is set for multiple answers. All votes are pr

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traveller or Classic Traveller, CT

28 43.08%
  • MegaTraveller

10 15.38%
  • Traveller: The New Era

7 10.77%
  • Marc Miller's Traveller

1 1.54%
  • GURPS Traveller

8 12.31%
  • GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars

5 7.69%
  • Traveller 20, T20

4 6.15%
  • Traveller Hero

1 1.54%
  • Traveller 5, T5

6 9.23%
  • Mongoose Traveller

13 20.00%
  • Traveller 2300

8 12.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Traveller RPG: Which is your favorite edition, and why?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    i put gurps and d20 versions, as i'm most familiar with the system. i'd be interested in any online based game. ^^ though i really need to find a job first.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have played Classic and T20. I prefer the T20 version, though I will be getting the Mongoose version as soon as I can.
    Manny
    ďA government should not mobilize an army out of anger. Military leaders should not provoke war out of wrath. Act when it is beneficial, desist if it isnít. This is the way to secure a nation and keep the armed forces whole.Ē ~Sun Tzu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I have apparently been "called out"...

I like GURPS for this kind of game. That is hard. Hard sci-fi, gritty fantasy, etc. Anytime you want the feel of the game to lean towards the side of verisimilitude..

I see Traveller very much in that light. I first played it as MegaTraveller though, and I still have a soft spot for the random chargen, and the completely wacky mechanics.

Anyway, I suppose if you were a HERO fan, then that would do just as well.

As for "getting into GURPS", well, there's not much to say there. Some people enjoy spending two hours of chargen in their point-fiddling and some do not. A good idea for those people is, ask them for a quick summary of the character they want, and knock it out for them... don't make them do something they hate to do.

That last part is really a rule for any gaming...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I appreciate CT for the vast wealth of material to mine, but never liked the character generation or development.

I like some aspects of MegaTraveller background, and like the dynamic nature of the campaign. (Wasn't as fond of the coverage in the few TNE books I have.)

I abandoned D20 when D&D went to third edition, which has kept me away from D20 Traveller thus far. The concept of character classes has lost it's appeal for me. My preference isn't so strong that it would prevent me from picking it up if I local game were to materialize however.

Overall though, I'm now quite fond of GURPS Traveller. I can take all the background material I want from other flavors and bring them in, and have the access to a wealth of other 'flavor material' at my fingertips. For that reason, I'd have to mark it my favorite flavor. (But again, like ice cream -- I can have a favorite, but still enjoy them all, right? )
    Last edited by Razmus; 05-29-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I don't actually play the game and mine it mercilessly for fluff edition matters little. I usually go for GURPS books as they are easy to find and for me at least easy to understand.

So I would have to say the GURPS edition, but not for any love of the system.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I answered Traveller 2300, even though it really isn't Traveller in any way, shape or form, and the publisher acknowledged that by changing the name to 2300 AD. I really got into the setting, and thought the aliens were some of the best ever designed. My only gripe about the setting was the fixed-distance limit on the stutterwarp drives. Although I understand why it was necessary to the setting, it felt arbitrary, and strained my suspension of disbelief.

The original Traveller is the only other edition I've played. I probably still have many of the little black books in my basement, if one of my high school friends didn't end up with them instead. But if I was going to put together a Traveller game today, I'd probably use GURPS, because that's been my "go to" system for the past 15 plus years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked Mongoose, but only because I feel like they addressed many of my issues with Classic. You can still use all of your Classic supplements and Library Data and all that with the new game with very few modifications, and that makes me happy as well.

That said, they don't get everything right. Space Combat is still a total mess, and for anything short of single ship versus single ship, I'd likely graft on a different system entirely, like Starmada, to get the results.

The extra bonus for Mongoose is that they're still cranking out material fast and furious for the setting, and it seems like every month in their free Signs and Portents magazine online, they're brining another old CT module up to Mongoose Traveller speed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played classic, and Megatraveller and loved them both. I STILL after all these years almost do a Trillion Credit squadron in my mind AND remember most of the ship hexadecimal info lines.... Sad is it not?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mongoose Traveller, But I am biased. I've written a few things for it.
    D. McCoy 1693
    President of Jon Brazer Enterprises
    Check out Book of Beasts: Legendary Foes today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Classic is easy, if sparse in the core rules, I'd get The Traveller Book if you are gonna go there. You can game for years with just the core if you make up your own stuff. If not, you can get all the books and supplements and adventures. Stiull relatively cheap if you look, take your time, and are choosy.

2300 was a different animal postulating a nuclear exchange, france wins, and nations explore space in different directions. Gritty sort of flavor. Tries to make starships more like 2001, than say Star Wars. A li8ttle bit hard to find, some of the supplements are obscure / rare.

Megatraveller had problems, but was okay, the first real rules for advancing skills. Both in game and out. But there were a lot of books put out in that period. Grand Survey, Grand Census in particular by Digest Group.

GURPs Traveller, never played.

T20 had, but didn't like, never played.

Hero, never saw, hardly ever hear about.

Mongoose is Classic done better. What I've run here in the past, and also offline.

T5 is the new flavor, still digesting it. More a toolkit, and super crunchy formula goodness, for those that want to go there.

If you want the feel of old school, really go mongoose. The lifepaths that Classic lacked make it sooo much better and what I think Marc intended but didn't capture when RPGs were new in 1977.

T5 just hit the street a few months ago, and I don't see it as all that established yet from the kickstarter.

Good luck with it.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Etarnon View Post
    2300 was a different animal postulating a nuclear exchange, france wins, and nations explore space in different directions. Gritty sort of flavor. Tries to make starships more like 2001, than say Star Wars. A li8ttle bit hard to find, some of the supplements are obscure / rare.
    2300 really had nothing to do with Traveller at all, except that it had spaceships and was put out by GDW. It grew out of the Twilight 2000 setting, rather than Traveller. But that said, it is pretty much my favorite science fiction gaming setting. I'd say the tech level and feel of the setting is closer to the Alien movies than to 2001. There is FTL, but you can still easily see a character in 2300 running around in a dirty tee-shirt, sweating, with a finger on the trigger of a slug-thrower.

Even though it hasn't been published for years, it isn't hard to find. You can buy a CDROM with pretty much everything that was ever published for the original Traveller 2300 and 2300 AD, including both versions of the core books, all the supplements (including one published by a 3rd party), Star Cruiser - the spaceship combat war-game in the 2300 setting, all the 2300 articles from Challenge Magazine, and even a couple of unpublished adventures. http://www.farfuture.net/FFE-CDROMs.html

BTW, if we are counting 2300 with Traveller, there was also a short-lived T20 2320 AD in the same setting, and now Mongoose is putting out a version of 2300 AD
    Last edited by Mr_Sandman; 08-29-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12