Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most threads on Pen and Paper Games are pointless; what reason would you give?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most threads on Pen and Paper Games are pointless; what reason would you give?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Here's your chance to fess up: why are most threads on Pen and Paper Games these days unrelated to games, pens, or paper?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lull in the action allows us to ponder the complexities of the universe. Time to send in the mooks~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because we just want to share thoughts with people who have simular intrests
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ::Points finger at Thoth:: It's all his fault! Blame him! I am just an innocent bystander. Had nothing to do with it.

(vq)Am I safe yet?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    ::Points finger at Thoth:: It's all his fault! Blame him! I am just an innocent bystander. Had nothing to do with it.

(vq)Am I safe yet?
    Ouchee-wilikers!

I guess that's why Farcaster added General Chatter: This forum is for general topics not related to roleplaying, or topics not about any particular game or genre, option.

This thread allows me the freedom to participate in entertaining the P&PG members with even some pointless threads... pointless, but Fun, and Entertaining, threads. Thoth also promises more threads to come, some pointless, and some relevant to gaming..

Come on now, who can honestly say that they didn't like my "In honor of Bart Simpson" thread? As with all of Thoth's threads, it's simply genius... Genius!

Thoth takes bow and thanks the P&PG crowd for taking note of his service to the community.

Uh-oh, is Thoth going to do it? Yes he is. Here is Thoth's shameless plug for the entertainment of the community: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...earchid=103100

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because that's just the way the internet works. If I were on a gardening forum I would start a thread about role-playing games.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

If you did, then i might actually take interest in the gardening forum. At least until i read the one thread of interest: role-playing games.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say that's awfully subjective. They have points, just not necessarily the ones many people would be interested in. If nobody is interested, they sink to the back pages with the rest of the chaff. On the other hand, I signed on this morning and found that I had 5 pages of backthreads to go through from 48 hours of inactivity. That, imho, is a little excessive.

Edit: Apparently I responded to over a page of them, tho
    Last edited by GoddessGood; 05-04-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It gives us a chance to look at something that isn't everyday life
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Edit: Apparently I responded to over a page of them, tho

lol Yeah, me too.

Hey, I like some of these excessive and irrelevant threads. That is perhaps the best way for me to get to know those who respond. And if I don't have an interest to respond, I don't. It's just like the television or radio. I can turn them on and off as I please, or, turn the channel if I wish. I don't have to come to this site if I don't want to, but I do. And I don't have to read any of the threads if I don't want to, and I don't have to respond if I don't want. I have choices here.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i do too. Nothing wrong with interesting.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Besides a satire/protest of recent threads, I started this thread because it seems to me that RPG and RPG discussions are simply stuck. (Exhibit A) You'd think that a recession would be a great time for cheap entertainment, but the RPG industry seems even more in the toilet than other businesses, and subjectively it seems like nobody's playing any games but D&D 4e.

Are computer games considered a more efficient use of time and money than dusting off an old game and gathering some people together?

Is D&D 4th Edition far more efficient at sucking up attention and consumer dollars than previous editions, without requiring as much of that taxing and dangerous quality called "imagination"?

Has everybody just given up?

Maybe we should change the focus of this board to something more popular, like knitting, movie reviews, or asking strangers intimate details of their lives?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, what he said.

:ne hand pats Thoth on the back while the other puts up bunny ears::

While we are waiting on Thoth to come up with a more relevant poll, how about we have some fun here?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    Because that's just the way the internet works. If I were on a gardening forum I would start a thread about role-playing games.
    < begins work on the unholy fusion of the two ... a roleplaying game about a gardening forum~! mwahahahahahaha >

Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Besides a satire/protest of recent threads, I started this thread because it seems to me that RPG and RPG discussions are simply stuck. (Exhibit A) You'd think that a recession would be a great time for cheap entertainment, but the RPG industry seems even more in the toilet than other businesses, and subjectively it seems like nobody's playing any games but D&D 4e.

Are computer games considered a more efficient use of time and money than dusting off an old game and gathering some people together?
    Selection bias at work, perhaps. Those posting aren't necessarily representative of even the total number of members (I, for example, am currently participating in two non-4E games, one of which I post to ye olde blog here.)

As to video games, that's a solid description of the situation; video games are almost always available, and don't all require multiple players for success. Whether they have more value than tabletop games, well, that's rather subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Is D&D 4th Edition far more efficient at sucking up attention and consumer dollars than previous editions, without requiring as much of that taxing and dangerous quality called "imagination"?

Has everybody just given up?
    I'm not convinced 4E requires any less imagination than 3.x did ... or any other edition, for that matter. I kinda wish my current groups would give it at least a chance, 'cause I'm curious but don't want to pick up the books without using them :P Shame, that; the 4E bard looks like a lot of fun ^_^

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Yeah, what he said.

:ne hand pats Thoth on the back while the other puts up bunny ears::

While we are waiting on Thoth to come up with a more relevant poll, how about we have some fun here?
    Ha! I can totally get a visual of this, mrken. Funny image.

Btw, i posted up 4 more threads: 1 for honor, 1 for science, and 2 game-related and possibly useful in some way or another in everyones games. Thoth admits it, he can be quite thoughtful-cool.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-04-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast