Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: New Campaign Notifications

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool New Campaign Notifications

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    As a further enhancement to our recent campaign listing upgrade, you will now receive notifications of new campaigns that have been posted in your area in the same way that you receive notifications about new users. This includes campaigns posted here in our Campaign Invitations forum and campaigns that have been added over at Obsidian Portal which are looking for players. For the initial run, campaigns that were posted within the last thirty days will have notices sent out to potential players. After that, you will receive new campaign notices up to once per day with a listing of any new campaigns in your area.

There are two important configurations which will affect when and what campaign notifications you receive. A new option has been added to the User CP > Editi Options (http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...do=editoptions) section, which toggles whether or not you receive campaign notices at all. This option has been set to match whatever you had already previously indicated for new user notices.

In addition, you will not be sent notices about campaigns that are set outside of the maximum distance you indicated you are willing to travel. To change this radius, you can edit your profile and change the option for "Willing to Travel" to the distance desired. The maximum radius that will be ever be returned is one hundred miles.

Enjoy!
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Received notification of 3 campaigns within a few miles from which i live. Thanks Farcaster, very cool.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down Recieving notice of internet games hosted over 1K miles from me, even though my setting for "Online RPGs" is "No".

Via email:

"A new campaign has been posted in your area that you may be interested in. Note that only campaigns which are within the distance you indicated you are willing to travel are shown. If you did not indicate a maximum distance, the search extends out to 100 miles. You may change this option in your settings by logging in and editing your profile options for 'Willing to Travel' distance."

My maximum travel distance is set at "5 miles".

This campaign (that I received an email for) is indicated to be "~ 1 miles" away from me.

The game's actual location is over 1K miles from mine.

This game is to be played over the internet.

My setting for "Online RPGs?" is "No".

I do not wish to be notified of this game, nor others like it.

That this issue was not addressed prior to the launch of this feature represents an egregious oversight.

Please. Fix. It. ASAP.

MicahWedemeyer is offline Special Guest Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Player
    LFG: No
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Take a deep breath

Quote Originally Posted by Shoukanjuu View Post

That this issue was not addressed prior to the launch of this feature represents an egregious oversight.
    That's a little extreme, don't you think? New features always have a quirk or two in them, and it takes a little time to iron them out. Which would you rather have: Fast development of cool new features with a few kinks every now and then, or never anything new because each bit of new code has to go through 99 testing cycles prior to launch?

You can't have it both ways.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoukanjuu View Post

Please. Fix. It. ASAP.
    Shoukanjuu,

I am sorry that you received a notice for a game that was outside of your area. In testing, I did not find that bug. If you forward me the email with this problem, I would be glad to look into it immediately.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    There was another minor issue found that allowed campaigns invitations from P&PG to be sent out in notifications even though they had been deleted by the GM. This issue has now been resolved. Luckily, there were exceedingly few deletions like this -- around 5%. Future notifications will not include deleted threads.
    Last edited by Farcaster; 06-27-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, this is great! Good job, Farcaster.

Shoukanjuu, take a chill pill.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thats a pretty sweet feature!

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWedemeyer View Post
    That's a little extreme, don't you think? New features always have a quirk or two in them, and it takes a little time to iron them out. Which would you rather have: Fast development of cool new features with a few kinks every now and then, or never anything new because each bit of new code has to go through 99 testing cycles prior to launch?

You can't have it both ways.
    Heh, "egregious oversight". I'm so droll when I'm being drastic…

Extreme? Yeah. I guess I'm always full of ire early in the morning… But mostly it was the fact that I received my not–actually–nearby campaign notification within a couple of hours of the feature announcement going out, and was having dire visions of being inundated with more of the same.

Ooh, "dire" rhymes with "ire"—it's late at the moment, so I'm good–natured and easily amused (by myself, at least).
    Last edited by Shoukanjuu; 06-30-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get a load of this

Thanks guys for linking up to support all of us gamers out here in the world. I hope that this partnership develops and becomes a fantastic resource where gamers and gamemasters can really benefit.