Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Ask a GM [04/20/2009]: Being a Player

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegriffins1234 View Post
    "Already played out" is certainly not a requirement.

Don't set the direction for the PCs beforehand, so you can allow yourself to be taken along for the ride too.

-Roy
    Let me clarify, because i 1000% agree. I never force PC's down a path, i always adapt. By 'played out' i mean i already know how the rulers, NPC's and situation will adapt to the actions of the players. I've ran many adventures where the players just choose not to go and i have to wing it with no notes... in fact, many of my players say that when my GMing is best (ugh!). I totally agree that you never, EVER force players into a plot... but as a GM, i know exactly how the world or locale may change as a result of their actions or inaction - no matter what they do.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Feeling slighted as a dice-rollin' dictator...

I'd have to say yes, sometimes I do have a hardtime just being a player, but at the same time i've been running games more in my fifteen years, as opposed to playing. I guess its more comfortable to be running the show, than merely being an actor. I know that i'm more of the exception than the rule, but i hope it brings some sort of machete to your intellectual thicket...
    'Justice, like lightning, ever should appear to few men's ruin, but to all men's fear.'

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cigamnogard View Post
    Okay, so the other night a player was not there at our Wednesday night game. So, being the experienced player I took over his PC. The character drops his first target - takes his 5' step - and goes to attack the next baddie when the DM says,"You cannot do that!"
    I look at him and say,"Yes, it's a rule in the book that a 5' step may be taken before, during, or after the character's action.
    DM responds that for now he will deny the rule but look it up later. Fair enough I say.
    He still has not looked it up...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a similar argument recently in a game. I was a player and I didnt take a movement action before I attacked. I attacked and then stated that to end my turn I was going to move out of the range of the baddie. The stand in DM vehemently denied that I could do that. I told him it was in the book, that it didnt matter when within my turn I made my movement. He allowed it and then had the baddie come to me and attack me (my character is an elven monk, so the baddie, which was a mega strength mummy, definitely within the rules couldnt have possibly reached me in 1 turn).

Downloads
    Uploads

Rolls versus Roles

I think this should be a whole different subject. This topic has gone in the direction of rules use.

I am more than happy to admit that I do not know the rules as well as many. To me, the rules are secondary to the role-playing aspect of D&D. If we were playing Bridge, or Chess or Monopoly, then sure, quote the rules. But D&D is about storytelling fun, not competition.

I've never understood players or DMs that felt the need to compete with their characters/NPCs in-game. The best thing ever is when you work your way into a glorious death for your long time PC. When the death is so perfect, and fits so well with the life and accomplishments of the character.

It makes absolutely no difference to me if there is a book somewhere that tells me when your character can move, whether you can take a five foot step or not, or the ability of a bad guy to cast Magic Missile; if that is what the moment requires, then it happens.

But please do feel free to pick apart fantasy novels looking for all the rules infractions; I'm sure the authors of those fine books would be happy to hear about their rules violations/mistakes.

-Roy

"What I claim is to live to the full the contradiction of my time, which may well make sarcasm the condition of truth." -Roland Barthes (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...art389443.html)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by thegriffins1234 View Post

But please do feel free to pick apart fantasy novels looking for all the rules infractions; I'm sure the authors of those fine books would be happy to hear about their rules violations/mistakes.
    Ah, but when that does happen it sucks me right out of the book. I am happily reading along when the 'Mech with Short range missles only fires it's weapon at long range. Or when the auther interchanges musket and rifle as the same thing. Or when the character in the D&D book does something you cannot do! Yeah, I am sorry it does suck for those of us that have vivd imaginations and eyes for details.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    I vote with my wallet - I stop buying from that author and complain to my friends and on forums like this...
    Last edited by cigamnogard; 05-13-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many of my friends are handicapped in a similar fashion, and I feel so very sorry for all of you.

I am grateful that my imagination can transport me to another world without requiring me to ask questions about how the physics of that world work.

Perhaps it is my visual nature, but I only pick apart absurdities in movies, with a book, I just come up with the pictures on my own, and don't mind if that picture is something that isn't really possible (it being fantasy after all).

One of the most important rules in my book, is that people are capable of great evil, and monumental good. Regardless of a character's stats, race, class, etc.; they can accomplish great things.

I've seen enough of that in my life to know the universal truth of it, so my fantasy worlds are fully open to every possibility.

-Roy

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with that. I learned in a communications class in high school that the average person once they hear an inconsistency or read one, they can't pull their mind off of it. Its like the movie, song, speech keeps on going in real-time, but your mind stops right there. My mind analyzes and re-analyzes and over analyzes. I can for the sake of fantasy put it aside, but it fights to get out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am able to continue but I no longer give any validity to what the author/character/movie is saying and begin to spot other incorrections/inconsistancies. which further diminish what the author/character/movie is doing/saying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back on topic... No, I have not found it difficult to be a player and give up the GM seat. When a GM decides to run a game a certain way, I just go with it, too. I never feel the need to "correct" the GM, though if they do something I don't like I just make sure that I don't do the same in my own game when I'm back to running it.

When I am a player in someone else's game, I consider it my "time off". As I have said in another Ask a GM forum, I get tired of coming up with the story sometimes. I feel like I need a break, and so rather than trying to keep up with the rules or the players, I just put myself in the mix.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always loved both sides of the screen. When I'm DMing, I'm always open to suggestions after a session, but when I'm running a PC, I keep my ideas to myself unless asked. Playing according to another persons style and personality is very similar to playing a character who is very different from yourself and can be just as fun. As long as I don't feel completely stifled by the DM, I'll have fun. If I don't, I'll either volunteer to DM or leave the campaign, no hard feelings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maturity

I've been a DM for 5+ years and I will always be a player at heart. I went and played again and I totally don't mind being a player for another DM.

A few problems...

1) I was always being asked about rules. It was hard because not only was I there to be a player but it always seemed that I ended up screwing up my team or the player in conflict with the DM because of my knowledge...

2) Also, and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I'm an awesome DM. And my judgement or grading of the DM is really heard because I know how much time and energy I put into it and most DM's I've seen don't...

Otherwise, I think it's a matter of maturity and being able to let go of the reigns... But I've always said, the best leaders first learn how to be the best followers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    But I've always said, the best leaders first learn how to be the best followers.

Well said

Downloads
    Uploads
    At times it can be, but I really enjoy playing and being that I always run the game it is a much welcome brake when someone else takes the lead.
    "It's too late. You've awakened the Gazebo. It catches you and eats you."

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys are so lucky to be in a place where you can not DM once in a while. If I don't DM, then I usually don't have a game.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast