Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's in your library?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    They do inspire me to think of new and cruel ways to test the party.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I kept most of the assigned reading books from highschool. I guess I felt like I was made to read them
    Some books are best read at certain ages. If you're too young or too old, they don't resonate as much. The forced aspect one sometimes finds in a school assignment can kill the joy, too.

So, yes, do go back and re-read some of those old classics you read in school. Some will be wonderful on re-reading. Others will still be awful. Or dated. Or just won't click for you. Take a chance on some famous classics even when they're not assigned -- choose one on a whim from the library or from the bookstore.

The Thirty-Six Strategies of Ancient China
    The Art of War - Sun Tzu
    A Book of Five Rings - Musashi

Those are good ones, depending on the translation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hobbit: It's the first book I read as a child without having to ask what a word meant or how it was pronounced. It also gave me my lifetime love of Fantasy.

The Lord of the Rings: I would've have loved Jackson and company to not take the creative license they did, but they stayed true enough to the story so as to not make it unrecognizable...unlike a certain TV show that fails in every regard (Seeker ring a bell to anyone).

The Sword of Truth series - Books are wonderful, TV show blows.

Anything written by David Baldacci and James Patterson.

Prey: IMO, the best novel Michael Chrichten has ever written. I was amazed at the amount of research he did for that novel.

Keffirboy: Not sure if I spelled the title correctly, but it's an account of how...erg...forget his name, anyway it's a story about the trials of the Apartheid one native South African man faced and his eventual escape to the US through a tennis scholarship.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorites include, Tarzan and Conan series by E.R Borroughs, Riders of Pern, Dragonlance Chronicles and most favorite is Mack Bolan The Executioner by Don Pendleton.
    Windstar - Escapee from the D&D'ers retirement home. Trust in the Shadows!!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tarzan and Conan books. All good stuff.

I believe i have just about every Conan story ever put to paper.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In that vein the John Carter of Mars books. Talk about a guilty pleasure type of book.

The Lensman Series E.E. "Doc" Smith. The books that defined the term Space Opera. Yes the characters are made of 100% virgin American cardboard, but it's fun. Also worth a look are the Skylark of Space books and Masters of the Vortex. All old, all at least slightly cheesy, but good tales none the less.
    Last edited by tesral; 04-30-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mystic Traveller Series. All great books.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thoth, I finally found "Demon Wars" and listened to the first part, I also found "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. Am listening to it now and it is really good.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "The Adventures of Cavalier and Clay" Michael Chabon
    My all time favorite.

All of Frizt Lieber's Farhad and Gray Mouser Books.

The Mars Series (Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars) by Kim Stanely Robinson.

I also read Babel 17--it has a pretty weird world with undead navigators and such. Another of Samuel R. Delany books is Triton, which deals with diverse cultures on stellar colonies.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wizarddog View Post
    "I also read Babel 17--it has a pretty weird world with undead navigators and such. Another of Samuel R. Delany books is Triton, which deals with diverse cultures on stellar colonies.
    Radical plastic surgery to actually change appearance. The one spacer was a tiger man, but totally human.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Edgar Rice Burroughs

Thoth, Wizarddogg sparked a memory with Mars and since you seem to be the resident ERB person, what was the name of his Mars series? I vaguely remember it, another sign of getting old.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
    Thoth, Wizarddogg sparked a memory with Mars and since you seem to be the resident ERB person, what was the name of his Mars series? I vaguely remember it, another sign of getting old.
    That was the John Carter stuff. Starting with Princess of Mars.

ERB defined prolific. An average of 250,000 words a year published. The guy went through three fortunes, and at least tried to live life like the characters in his books. He described himself as a hack writer. For the most part I would agree with him, the books are not deathless prose. But we still read them! His themes, his worlds and characters are deathless even if he wasn't a "great" user of the English language.

Great users of English. Final Encyclopedia -- Gordon Dickson. I was stunned when I first read it. I finished the book and turned it over to read again just to feel the words flow. Gordy didn't start as a great writer, some of his early work can be painful to read, but he became one. I miss him. He would always make the Michigan cons.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thought you'd appreciate this, tesral:

Pixar's 'John Carter of Mars' is Second Most Perfect Definition of Hybrid Movie

More: adventure, andrew stanton, fantasy, john carter of mars, movie, news, pixar, sci-fi
    WALL-E writer/director Andrew Stanton's next project is set to be John Carter of Mars, a CGI/live-action adaptation of the story of a Civil War veteran's adventures on Earth's most enemy planet: Mars. He recently spoke to MTV about the film, divulging some scoopz (they aren't huge scoopz):
    “It’s real,” Stanton assured us. “We’re full bore on it right now. We’re over the hump of the writing phase, and we’re certainly far from rewrites.” “The key was putting a story into it and creating characters that had to grow and real basic stuff that we all know a movie needs,” he explained.
    Messing with a classic of the fantasy genre is always risky, but Stanton believes the passage of time is on his side. “Fortunately it’s an old enough story,” he said. “There isn’t such huge allegiance to it that people won’t mind that we muck with it a bit to hopefully amplify the essence of what made me interested in it as a young kid and hopefully will keep me interested in it as an adult.”
    Andrew, you are so wrong that there isn't a big enough allegiance for people to get angry at divergences from the original text. I care about everything. Even if it was written in 1912 and had practically no story to speak of, and even if I've never read any of it and never will, the movie had better be exactly like my confused, entirely fantasy art-based impressions or someone will be making an anti-Pixar's John Carter of Mars Facebook group so fast it will knock several prestigious awards off your mantel.
    I also take issue with this statement:
    “There’s so much in it that can’t be real,” he said. “It’s the perfect definition of a hybrid movie,” utilizing both live actors and computer-based animation.
    Perfect definition of a hybrid movie? That was called Alvin and the Chipmunks, buddy.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Andrew, you are so wrong that there isn't a big enough allegiance for people to get angry at divergences from the original text. I care about everything. Even if it was written in 1912 and had practically no story to speak of, and even if I've never read any of it and never will, the movie had better be exactly like my confused, entirely fantasy art-based impressions or someone will be making an anti-Pixar's John Carter of Mars Facebook group so fast it will knock several prestigious awards off your mantel.
    And the costumes. The costumes need to be spot on.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    And the costumes. The costumes need to be spot on.
    Oh lord, yes. They need to get the costumes for the ladies right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast