Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Question about utilizing fighting style...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about utilizing fighting style...

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ok so I am playing a D&D 3.5 Farland campaign, and this is my first time using a Monk for a character. I chose Sleeping Tiger as my fighting style. My question(which will probably sound dumb to people who have been playing for a long time) is how do I utilize this style? IE in combat how can I use this to my best benefit? Thanks!
    Last edited by Panthro82; 04-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry, but the sleeping tiger style... is that from oriental adventures? i'm not recognizing it off the bat, but then i'm a little out of it due to sick kiddies.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    i think you should use a different system. that would help. D&D under does their martial styles.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    heh, yeah, the sheer number of feats required to get a usually minor benefit is kind of a ludicrous trade. completely undervalued.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

cant

we have been playing for a little while now and I am level 3(almost 4) with this character. DM wont allow any style changes this late, and everyone agreed on 3.5(we're weird, we dont like 4). The style can only be acquired when you chose power attack as a feat and you have at least 9 skill points in hide. So assuming I have to use this character the way it is without changes any suggestions on utilizing the sleeping tiger technique?

Oh and p.s. when you are hiding and use power attack do you get a bonus to hit because your enemy cant see you? I ask because when you chose to do a power attack you take a max of 4 points off your to hit roll and add them to damage instead.
    Last edited by Panthro82; 04-19-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, it's up to your BAB, which presently is only 2 (monks only get 3/4ths BAB, regretably) however, it's not impossible to build a monk to take advantage of power attack.

And you do get a bonus to hit IF your opponent has a dexterity bonus to AC, attacking from hiding is denying them their dex. (Meaning if you can get sneak attack it would be a good thing.) One prestige class you should look into is the Crescent Moon Ninja, from Sword and Fist. It's a great PrC for monkish sneaky types.
    Masaru Academy, a roleplaying experience you'll never forget.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    also blends well with shadowdancer if you can manage to qualify for it. the hide in plain sight in shadows (but not your own) is a precious ability to a character with that style. not to mention the shadowjumping.