Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
  • Matt James

by Published on 07-27-2013 01:49 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. RPG Industry
    Article Preview

We've reached our funding goal. Now it's time for our first STRETCH GOAL. At $30,000, we'll add the Red Aegis Hacker's Guide to the Digital Boxed Set. The Hacker's Guide, written by full-time Paizo designer Stephen Radney-MacFarland, will include guidelines for incorporating RED AEGIS into your existing Pathfinder game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...leplaying-game

A millennia-spanning, strategic tabletop roleplaying game from industry award-winning designers Brian R. James and Matt James.

Join us in designing a tabletop roleplaying experience that you've never seen before!

RED AEGIS is an alternative take on the traditional ...
    by Published on 02-10-2011 02:21 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. RPG Industry

Pre-Order Soldiers of Fortune today! Link

This product will be officially released, February 14.
    by Published on 01-25-2011 08:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. RPG Industry

Starting this week during the Dungeons & Dragons Experience convention, or DDXP for short, the new Ashes of Athas campaign setting will debut. This Dark Sun exclusive campaign will be the first of it's kind as it provides a communal shared setting campaign structure that takes players through the trials and tribulations of life on Athas. Each adventure is challenging in its own regard and survival is not guaranteed (we even provide death certificates for every module, should the DM need to pass them out!) Here is a blurb on the campaign. If you would like to participate, check out the site and find the next major convention that will be hosting it.

Ashes of Athas is a continuing 4e D&D campaign set in the world of the Dark Sun campaign setting. PCs will take up the mantle of heroism in a grim world where simple survival cannot be taken for granted. At gaming conventions throughout the year, these heroes will shape the world of Athas while they grow in power and prestige - or die trying.
    When we begin, your character has been asked to aid a secretive faction of the Veiled Alliance in the Free City of Tyr against an unknown assailant.

• Live the Story - Ashes of Athas is a single campaign told in a series of Chapters, each at a large gaming convention (Currently D&D Experience, Origins, and Gencon). Your character will experience a coherent story of struggle and (hopefully) triumph in the Tablelands of Athas.
    • Play Together - Each Chapter consists of a set of 3 adventures set at a specific level - if you're just getting started, you'll make a character close to the current level of the campaign.
    • Change the World - Every chapter is part of an evolving story where *your* choices can change the world, and the efforts of *your* character determine the shape of future chapters.
    • Leave the Tolkien at Home - Ashes of Athas is a massive shared-world campaign set on the harsh world of Athas, a scorched desert where might rules and life is just another resource to exploit.

Get Ready to Play - You'll want access to a copy of the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, in addition to the typical requirements of D&D play. Ashes of Athas also makes use of some optional materials, described in details on this website (coming soon).

About the Author: Matt James is a freelance game designer for Wizards of the Coast and Kobold Quarterly. He also produces content for ENworld, Critical-Hits.com, Loremaster.org, and other industry sites. While not designing fantasy elements for games and products, he lives comfortably in the DC area with his wife and two Chihuahuas. Visit Matt on twitter for his gaming insights and banter: http://www.twitter.com/matt_james_rpg
    by Published on 07-15-2010 07:22 AM  Number of Views: 3377 
    1. Categories:
    2. Loremaster
    Article Preview

Many people often ask me what I do to relax and get away from my stressful (yet enjoyable) freelance assignments for game design. The tax of having deadlines and word-counts can often have a toll on this self-diagnosed ADHD writer. But like all lucid, if not completely neurotic, gamers, I enjoy self-inflicting mental wounds on myself by learning new complex games for… well… enjoyment!
    by Published on 06-29-2010 05:00 PM  Number of Views: 2938 
    1. Categories:
    2. Ask-a-GM,
    3. Loremaster
    Article Preview

This, of course, relates to the skill found in various forms throughout the history of the Dungeons & Dragons game. Most of the time this skill is only chosen by players because of it's requirement for some other ability or feat. Many never truly expect to use this skill in game and when they do, it is often after things have abraded to a halt in the story. Many of us have vivid images of a player sighing wistfully while massaging their head, only to groan out loud "I would like to use my knowledge of History to figure this **** out."

by Published on 06-10-2010 01:13 PM  Number of Views: 3147 
    1. Categories:
    2. Loremaster
    Article Preview

I am an avid collector of D&D relics. That is, I have an extensive and often burdensome collection of D&D books, boxed sets, memorabilia, and materials. Amongst my sacred home library you will find stacks of ancient Dragon magazines (including a complete set from Dragon #1 through #175), tomes from the earliest days of the hobby, and miniatures that predate even my own birth! I could not even do it justice in this mere article. I have tens of thousands of items, many of which hail from 1973-1988. But what good is a product if it is just there to sit?

by Published on 05-28-2010 03:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Ask-a-GM
    Article Preview

The topic of preparation for roleplaying games often covers the creation of immersive characters and interesting plot lines. But what about starting earlier than that? Preparation for a game happens long before you crack open the books and I plan to cover that in a series of articles aimed at getting you ready for the big night. ...