Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Red Herrings down the Toilet

1. Lender
    Lender
    I don't really want to open up a whole can of worms - maybe just crack it open a bit and drain some of the juice out!

I think we all know, the chief charge leveled by the church-at-large at DnD is that it involves the players in witchcraft. Or at the very least, since players' characters "cast spells," they are in danger of taking on "an appearance of evil" - something the New Testament warns us against.

I single out DnD, here, because non-RPGers - especially christian ones - are totally oblivious to the existence of other games, some of which are better or much worse in my opinion than DnD - spiritually speaking.

I think these charges can be defended against, if absolutely necessary (the Bible also warns against pointless arguments!). But on the flip-side, I do not contend that role-playing games are a perfectly harmless past-time for one and all. Almost any activity has its pitfalls. A sucking vortex into occultism, to my mind, is not a great danger posed by RPGs.

What I want to know from this discussion is, what have you found to be the actual potential pitfalls in this hobby (not just Dungeons and Dragons)? And how have you addressed these things?

Please chime in!

Andrew
  2. ThatMusicWriter
    I feel that the magic in D&D could be compared to that in Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia, so it isn't especially dangerous. If we actually had to role play incantations, THEN it would be and issue, but since we don't, I feel like the magic in D&D is more of a science than a connection to a spirit.
  3. Lender
    Lender
    I totally agree with you about the magic thing. I can understand how it gives christians who haven't really looked into it pause, though. And some have big issues even with the magic in Tolkien or Lewis' s writing.

I'm not really a fan of DnD, preferring LOTR or Star Wars, but I have played it some - years ago. Again the magic doesn't bother me per se, but I was uncomfortable with some of the religious/alignment aspects of the game. Specifically, role-playing a cleric of a false (albeit make-believe) deity. I'm not saying it's the unpardonable sin or anything, but I'd like to hear your take on a christian's approach to that aspect of the game.

By the way, I really appreciate your finding and participating in this little group. I don't know if you noticed or not, but my original post is years old. I have found this whole website to be practically dead for years, with even the folks who have joined this group not bothering to read or respond to anything in it. All that to say - it was neat to get an email saying someone had posted to a discussion!

Hope to hear from you soon.