Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

General Discussion, Vol. 2

1. Ice Hawk
    Ice Hawk
    You needn't have worried Dawncaller, I don't think anyone's going to start slinging the label of prude around to protect their right to post naughty material.
  2. Dawncaller
    Sorry. I'm always very careful with this subject based on previous experience.
  3. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    Was it one of us who called you a prude, DC? I can't think why, so hopefully not!
  4. Dawncaller
    No, don't worry, it wasn't.
  5. Fingon
    Fingon
    I don't have too much to add, except to affirm what's been said. I'm not one for pushing boundaries for the mere sake of pushing. There can be legitimate and compelling reasons for including something more explicit, but unless it is there as part of the story, it's probably unnecessary.

So, if this is important to development and plot, I don't really have a problem with it. But I think we can agree that we don't want that level of intimacy to become common here.
  6. Gibson8088
    Gibson8088
    I want to thank all of you for your points, insight and opinions on this matter. The discussion allowed me to reflect on my own reasons for broaching this questionable aspect in storytelling.

My initial reaction is if you feel a post needs to be vetted to see if it's allowed, it shouldn't be allowed.
    When I wrote the segment I did consider my motives, and after weighing them I concluded the reasons were just. Were I to omit the section I fear the story would lose something, become less interesting and spiral down from there. As such I will take the risk, I will appraise the content and I will accept any criticism and feedback generated.

Though, on the subject of how often such a thing will happen in the story, I can promise it will not be common. The character of Tach is an action-hero of sorts, not a playboy who seeks to put another notch on his bedpost. And I am not the sort of writer who actively seeks to embroil the reader. I want to provide entertaining reading, not controversy.

The best measuring stick I've found is to ask whether what I've written would appear in a Star Wars movie. If it seems outside the scope of what I'd see on the big screen, then I find another way to "frame" the scene.
    I disagree with this. Using the movies as a governor, I feel, would inhibit too much. Tapestry allows me to explore and expand. To test my 'what-if' philosophy, so to speak. Create the story of an unknown who delves into the aspects of life that simply would not be allowed on the big screen.

...since you haven't really fleshed-out the dancing girls as characters yet...
    I must confess, this has been intentional. Perhaps I should go ahead and complete the bio's for the characters I am using and post them on the wiki. Though this may ruin elements I wish to bring in later. It's a difficult choice to make at the moment.

In closing, I hope I've been able to explain my views without seeming too verbose, confusing or flogging a deceased equine too much. If I missed anything or didn't address a topic then please let me know.
  7. Dawncaller
    I disagree with this. Using the movies as a governor, I feel, would inhibit too much. Tapestry allows me to explore and expand. To test my 'what-if' philosophy, so to speak. Create the story of an unknown who delves into the aspects of life that simply would not be allowed on the big screen.
    I understand. If we only limited ourselves to what's in the movies then we're hobbling our creativity. My statements were only meant to apply in the context of overt sexuality and titillation, not in any and all contributions to Tapestry.

Perhaps I should go ahead and complete the bio's for the characters I am using and post them on the wiki. Though this may ruin elements I wish to bring in later. It's a difficult choice to make at the moment.
    You don't necessarily have to spoil any surprises or anything like that. IMO, it's more a matter of communicating to the reader that a certain character or item will have significance in the future. Up to this point, I haven't gotten a feeling that the slave girls were anything more than foil NPCs, but now that I know they will have more of a role to play I look forward to seeing their characters grow alongside Tach, Fi, and anyone else the group encounters.
  8. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    You know, after more than four years of Tapestry, it's amazing that we're all just having this discussion now!

I understand. If we only limited ourselves to what's in the movies then we're hobbling our creativity. My statements were only meant to apply in the context of overt sexuality and titillation, not in any and all contributions to Tapestry.
    Must add violence to the pile here, too. I'm re-reading Volume I right now, and just came across THE most disturbing Tapestry post I've ever seen, by old member Calhexas. Yikes.

You don't necessarily have to spoil any surprises or anything like that. IMO, it's more a matter of communicating to the reader that a certain character or item will have significance in the future. Up to this point, I haven't gotten a feeling that the slave girls were anything more than foil NPCs, but now that I know they will have more of a role to play I look forward to seeing their characters grow alongside Tach, Fi, and anyone else the group encounters.
    Totally. This stuff really needs to be spelled out, because as said before, people aren't necessarily gonna mine each others' posts for deeper meaning, and details and intentions can get missed. Example: Jyllis Tromso and Helbert Strand aren't actually a couple, they just go to clubs and parties together! I guess I needed to paint that little detail with a thicker brush...
  9. Ice Hawk
    Ice Hawk
    Actually we had a similar discussion after Calhexas's post. (By we, I actually mean you old timers, I wasn't around until the end of volume I). Where basically the same conclusion was reached that his post was the outer limits of tolerable violence. It was much shorter than this though.
  10. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    Oh, I'll have to look that up!