Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

General Discussion, Vol. 2

1. Dawncaller
    I often think that my next character won't be Force sensitive, but then I wonder how much my story would really be a Star Wars story, if that makes sense. It would just as easily fall into some other sci-fi setting.
  2. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    I'm so happy to see Tam there as well, even though it might mean unimaginable horror for the rest of us (not to mention the loss of the initial promise of young Tam). This game was designed to be epic, and though it's never reached the 'MMO' heights I hoped it would, I actually don't care... because we've got a 3-dimensional character, after almost five years, doing crazy-ass things!

And I'm glad it's Tam who's doing them. You talk about the 'level 20' stuff, and I agree, and think that's d20's failing: trying to make everything 'balanced'. Like, a level 20 bounty hunter should be able to hold his own against a level 20 Jedi. Crap! D6 and the first incarnation of Star Wars Galaxies got this: Jedi should be able to mop the floor with everybody, be able to command and inspire armies... Jedi are the ultimate heroes of Star Wars, and should feel epic.

This is not to say that other character types don't have their place - true, Luke really was the only one who could have faced down Vader and the Emperor. But if Han, Leia, and the droids hadn't gotten that shield down, and if Lando, Wedge, and the other pilots hadn't prevailed, all would have been lost. That's epic!

Like, my own character. I knew from the beginning that Fi would be a 'support' character: she's a girl, she's an entertainer, she'd had no combat training. But every character has their path to follow, and hers has been emotional (and she's been through the wringer in that regard). Am I resentful that she's not defeating the greatest baddies in the universe? Hell, no! She's growing, and in writing her, I'm growing with her. That is way more gratifying than defeating a 'level X' opponent.

Some have stayed in Tapestry, and some have left after one or two posts. But I think that those of us who have stayed (and those who are new but posting like crazy) are developing, discovering, and witnessing our characters becoming more 'alive' than we ever could have dreamed... and that's what I want out of a roleplaying game.
  3. Dawncaller
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. Thompson
    ...though it's never reached the 'MMO' heights I hoped it would, I actually don't care...
    I agree. I've always feared that, had it truly become anywhere near MMO scale, it would have collapsed under its own weight. We've seen what happens when all the PCs are together, and there is no clear direction. We've also seen what happens when players are left to their own devices and there is no interaction at all. Each can have its place, but too much of either can be potentially lethal for the game.

...that's d20's failing: trying to make everything 'balanced'.
    Again, I agree. I've never actually played any actual D20 Star Wars, since my group always stuck with D6 (but I've played enough D&D and read enough of the D20 and Saga Edition books to make an informed comparison). Another nice thing of D6, incidentally, is not only do Force users become appropriately powerful but they start out as comparatively weak sauce. For a young padawan or a farmboy-turned-Jedi hopeful, the Force can actually be a liability, taking away valuable dice that could be put into other skills. I think that's in keeping with what we see in the movies and EU, too.

...and that's what I want out of a roleplaying game.
    I've always thought that the most fulfilling thing about RPGs is how much I learn about myself. I get to explore parts of me that don't typically get expressed, and in an environment where it's safe to explore consequences without serious real life problems. I've read articles about the benefits of doing such, and I've come to believe that it's a healthy psychological practice.

Anywho, I think that I've been going in overdrive recently. With super-dramatic Tapestry posts, and a discussion I got into on Facebook about whether Episode I or II is the worst of the series (it's II, by the way ), I'm finding myself waxing quite verbose about the Galaxy Far Far Away...
  4. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    I've always thought that the most fulfilling thing about RPGs is how much I learn about myself. I get to explore parts of me that don't typically get expressed, and in an environment where it's safe to explore consequences without serious real life problems. I've read articles about the benefits of doing such, and I've come to believe that it's a healthy psychological practice.
    Quite right. And I can say I've never been able to get so deep into a character in any other type of game. Our characters can do (and think) things in Tapestry that just aren't possible around a tabletop. And in so doing, we certainly can learn a lot about ourselves. For instance Fi, I only realized about three years into the game, is pretty much a 50/50 combination of qualities I wish I possessed, and qualities I regret that I have. It can be an interesting psychological workout to watch the scale slide black and forth!

And best of all, it's all recorded. You, me, Ice, and some of the older guys have each written at least one good-sized novel by now, and it's fascinating to see the growth of character and self-discovery. With tabletop RPGs, all we have is fond memories of past events. Here, we can go back and experience 'em again anytime!

(And to keep this from sounding like an 'old boys club', Gibson: your posts are always a pleasure to read... I think that you, and the rest of us, are going to be fascinated to see where Tach is a year from now! )
  5. Gibson8088
    Gibson8088
    I am happy to hear you enjoy my posts and do hope my future contributions continue to be a pleasure to read. I, too, am curious to see where Tach is a year from now. I will try to bring in more action, adventure, bad-assery and maybe even some romance.

Now, I just must say this about Errolt: he's the kind of Imperial officer that could convince me to join the Empire. I do hope he survives the BDZ somehow! Helluva personality on that one.
  6. Dawncaller
    I agree. Gibson8088, you're an excellent addition to the group!

So you identify pretty strongly with Errolt, huh? What part of his personality is working for you?
  7. Gibson8088
    Gibson8088
    Just the fact he's a good leader and behaves how a good general should behave. Kind of shocking he ever got into the Empire, really. He doesn't act corrupted.
  8. Dawncaller
    Well, I really like the whole concept of "heroes on both sides," and I like to show people that may share different ideologies as those in the Rebellion but are still good, honorable people.
  9. Gibson8088
    Gibson8088
    Considering the Rebellion's supposed to be full of nothing but heroes I now find myself in the 'what if' thinking room. What if there was someone on the Rebel side who was as bad as a stereotypical Imperial, or worse? Was there someone like that already in Star Wars?
  10. Dawncaller
    Two words: Zealos Reil. j/k

No, I think you have a good point, there. We don't really see many examples of true slimeballs in the Rebellion. Most of the time they're either weeded out by the hierarchy or part of some other organization. They don't typically survive with impunity.

In other news, the Owara sequence is done. I think I might take a couple days to gather my thoughts before I let my Muse anywhere near Tam Dawncaller again...