Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

General Discussion, Vol. 2

1. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    *snicker*
  2. Ice Hawk
    Ice Hawk
    So. . . Ummm, does anybody know who the hell nahshal is? Or if he even is, you know like a person? Not like a really weird high functioning spambot. . .
  3. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    That's... pretty much the weirdest thing I've ever read. I'll delete when I get home on lunch.
  4. Fingon
    Fingon
    It almost sounds like it's a random-sentence generator. I'm voting spambot.
  5. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    I deleted the post, but have quoted it here for interest's sake:

Quote Originally Posted by nahshal View Post
    “And this is as far as Errolt was able to clue my comlink message…” Tam looked up from his datapad to attending at the dimly lit streets as they sped past.
    Slowing the speeder down, Reil sneered over his shoulder. “So we accept no abstraction area to go from here. Great.”
    “Straight would be my guess,” offered Cali, “since that’s the way the alley goes.”
    “Sarcastic as her acknowledgment was,” Proto added, “I accede with the adolescent female. No agnosticism we will acquisition a acceptable cover about ahead.”
    The pilot snorted. “I’ll accumulate an eye out for the behemothic holographic billboard.”
    Tam fumed. What abroad were they declared to do at this point? “Listen, you can go aback and delay with the Imperials if you want.”
    “And who’s gonna fly the speeder, kid? You?”
    “Quiet!” airtight Elayne, agreement a duke on Reil’s shoulder. “I faculty a agitation in the Force. Up ahead, humans are dying.”
    Tam scanned advanced with his own sensitivities, and the anger, fear, and abashing were about audible. There was absolutely something abhorrent accident about in foreground of them, but it was absurd to acquaint absolutely area or why.

jogos de meninas
    That'd be one SMART spambot (can Skynet be far behind? )

His profile says he's in Pakistan. Could this be Google Translate in action? Either way he's not playing by the rules, so I don't mind deleting it. If this fellow would like any assistance, he can come and get it.

(btw - I haven't followed that link... too chicken!
    )
  6. Ice Hawk
    Ice Hawk
    It links to a. . . barbie catalog? It's in a foreign language so it's hard to say. That's a point for spambot. On the other hand, you can almost make sense of it. . . There's a star wars quote, as well as mention of Errolt, who hasn't even been in the story since we moved over here. I'm really tempted to say translator gone awry, but then why would someone who doesn't speak English, and clearly has only to loosest of idea's of what's going on post here?

Either way though I love this line: No agnosticism we will acquisition a acceptable cover about ahead.”

EDIT:
    HOOOOOOLLLLY CRAP!
    It's a repost! I thought some of the the more coherent lines sounded familiar, and they were! This is a post DC made in 2010:
    “And this is as far as Errolt was able to track my comlink message…” Tam looked up from his datapad to look at the dimly lit streets as they sped past.

Slowing the speeder down, Reil sneered over his shoulder. “So we have no idea where to go from here. Great.”

“Straight would be my guess,” offered Cali, “since that’s the way the road goes.”

“Sarcastic as her response was,” Proto added, “I agree with the young female. No doubt we will find a likely hideout somewhere ahead.”

The pilot snorted. “I’ll keep an eye out for the giant holographic billboard.”

Tam fumed. What else were they supposed to do at this point? “Listen, you can go back and wait with the Imperials if you want.”

“And who’s gonna fly the speeder, kid? You?”

“Quiet!” snapped Elayne, placing a hand on Reil’s shoulder. “I sense a disturbance in the Force. Up ahead, people are dying.”

Tam scanned ahead with his own sensitivities, and the anger, fear, and confusion were practically audible. There was indeed something terrible happening somewhere in front of them, but it was impossible to tell exactly where or why.

Cali pointed to something from her seat next to Reil. “Hey, that looked kind of like Mir.”

Shifting around to look behind them, Tam saw Mir being shoved into a parked speeder by a dark skinned alien—the dark skinned alien!

“Reil! Turn around!”

7. Fingon
    Fingon
    Now THAT'S bizzare. I wonder how that happened. Perhaps a foreign-written program using a translator, grabbing snippets from a message board and reposting. It's actually a pretty clever idea, and would be fun to code

I didn't follow the link either. What language was the website in?

And I'm looking forward to using "behemothic" as many times as possible today.
  8. Ice Hawk
    Ice Hawk
    If I knew what language it was, I would have been more specific. I don't recognize any words, except Barbie. I'm tempted to say Spanish, but that could just be my ignorance showing. Here's an excerpt from the page if you're curious:
    Se você é uma menina super fã da boneca Barbie não pode deixar de jogar esse jogo de quebra-cabeça. Teste suas habilidades colocando as peças nos lugares certos e monte esse linda imagem da Princesa Barbie e suas amigas.
    As for your idea about it being a program grabbing and re-posting snippets from the board, I didn't get DC's post off this board, it's off the old WOTC boards, so that would be a pretty impressive program to do that on it's own.
  9. I. J. Thompson
    I. J. Thompson
    Either way though I love this line: No agnosticism we will acquisition a acceptable cover about ahead.”
    I'm a fan of 'airtight Elayne'.

Crazy. So what we've got here is a spambot that:
    1. searches a forum thread for distinct or unique keywords
    2. searches other forums for posts containing those same keywords
    3. when it finds a post, it copies it and translates it into Spanish
    4. then, it translates it back into English
    5. then it makes an account and posts the text to the thread from point #1, including within the post a link to a site that sells Barbies

I don't know about you guys, but I think this could be the most efficient and ingenious use of a computer yet devised. Anyone wanna come Barbie shopping with me?
  10. Dawncaller
    Wild...

The language on the Barbie website is Potruguese, to be precise. And it doesn't look like the post has gone through a double translation, which would look something like this:

"And this is as much Errolt was able to track my message comlink ..." Tam looked up from his datapad look at the poorly lit streets, as they sped past.
    Slowing down the speeder, Reil mocked over his shoulder. "So we have no idea where to go from here. Great."
    "Straight would be my guess," offered Cali, "since that is how the road goes."
    "Sarcastic as his response was," Proto said: "I agree with the young female. No doubt we will find a likely hiding somewhere ahead."
    The pilot snorted. "I'll keep an eye out for the giant holographic billboard."
    Tam was irritated. What else were they should do now? "Listen, you can go back and wait with the Imperials, if you want."
    "And who will drive the speeder, boy? You?"
    "Silence!" Elayne snapped, placing a hand on the shoulder of Reil. "I feel a disturbance in the force. At the front, people are dying."
    Tam scanned ahead with their own sensibilities, and anger, fear and confusion were almost inaudible. There was indeed something terrible happening somewhere in front of them, but it was impossible to say exactly where or why.
    Cali pointed out something from his seat beside Reil. "Hey, that looked a bit like Mir."
    Moving to look back, Tam saw Mir being pushed into a speeder parked by a strange alien-dark to dark skin!
    "Reil! Turn around!"
    It looks more like it took random words from the original post and ran them through a thesaurus.

In other news, sorry I haven't been around much. I've been busy helping my wife with her novel. I hope I can get back to things here soon...