Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Worlds and Far-off Lands

1. Dalkiel
    Here we'll talk about adventures or campaigns you've run before or are running. Share some of your favorite adventure ideas here, campaigns you think others may like to try, or ask for suggestions for ways to streamline or refine them, as well as the current states of the games you're running presently.
  2. Umiushi
    Umiushi
    This is not going to be a comprehensive list. I've had my share of incomplete or insignificant games. For this post, I'll talk about the games that are most influential to me at the moment. In terms of describing them more fully, I think I'll save that for when I need to, in later discussions.

Past Campaigns and Adventures

"Raikons"
    Raikons was what I thought of as the name for this campaign, being the name for my world; my players had any number of names for it, hopefully more complimentary than not. In any case, this was my first successful campaign, and the longest-running. It was a 1st edition AD&D game that took the players from 1st level up to 14th.
    The campaign itself made use of any number of cliched tropes that I blush to think about. However, it taught me about the "tactics" of running a campaign: the necessity of setting, NPCs, plot, consistency, forward motion, and so forth. The world had a history and was filled with people doing things. It had countries and peoples that made a certain amount of sense. It changed over time, in big ways and small, partially as a result of the PCs' actions, and partially from activities the PCs had no part in. In general, it improved as my players and I improved.
    Its greatest contribution to my present play is that, because the campaign went on for such a long time, most situations I encounter, either in-play or among players, have had an analog in this game that I can consider.

"The Gray Tide"
    This was a "sequel" of sorts to the Raikons Campaign, set centuries later in the context of my setting. I ran it using a different rules system entirely. By most metrics, it wasn't remotely as successful as my prior game, but it did move me in the direction of campaign "strategy." How do smaller adventures lead to bigger adventures? How does the plot advance? The setting was much more dynamic and intense, and if I ever felt I had enough time to actually repeat past games, this one would be high on the list.

"The Moonriders of Ghenesh"
    This was my second-longest campaign, using the Amber rules system. It was very satisfying, but took a lot of effort on my part. I like to think I've always been good about not railroading PCs, but this campaign taught me to establish what I would call "many and varied roads" to success...or rather, this campaign showed the problems that occur when I didn't do that. It was a valuable lesson.

"Kaikishoku"
    This Japanese-themed adventure was my brief foray into very high level D&D play, with 24th level 3.5 D&D characters. I would describe the experience as "unwieldy," and one of the games I would like to run in the mid-term future is another Japanese-themed game to make up for this one.

"Romance of a Fallen Country"
    This is intended to be my main chat-based campaign, but it's currently on hiatus while I try out a few other games. The overall theme is the PCs seeking to improve the lot of a war-torn, former kingdom. I do hope to revive it one day.

"The Autumn Knight"
    This was an online, text-based chat adventure I ran using MapTool that wrapped up last summer. It was my first standalone online adventure, using 4th edition D&D rules, and taking characters from 7th to 8th level. I wanted it to be a little bit like an Arthurian fairy tale. In it, the party's search for a relic caused them to cross paths with a witch, a dragon (two dragons, actually), and a not-very-nice paladin. I'm mentioning it here because my Dispositio Diabolum campaign takes place five years later in the same setting.

Present Campaigns
    "The Unquiet Lands"
    This is my current, long-running campaign. It's a play-by-post 4th edition D&D game that I began in the forums here in the spring of 2009. Naturally, as my first journey into the world of online, and specifically, play-by-post gaming, I wrote the first adventure in a state of blissful ignorance. As a result, we're still on that first adventure, where the characters became entangled in the factional warfare of a flooding city. I would say that future adventures will be 15-30% of the length of the first one.

"Dispositio Diabolum"
    This is planned to be a short, text-based chat campaign, six adventures in total. It's set five years after The Autumn Knight, mentioned above, but is a complete break from that story. Currently the party is about two-thirds of the way through the first adventure, and the next session is scheduled for early January, due to the tendency of the end-of-year holidays to interfere with regular gaming. Again, it's 4th edition D&D, with 11th level characters, so it's my highest-level game since the ill-fated Kaikishoku adventure.

"Fever Dream"
    My newest game, started just this month, is a Traveller adventure. I've wanted to run Traveller nearly since it first came out, back in the late '70s. The trouble is, for most of my life, I've either wanted to run something else more, or I've had a distinct lack of interest from prospective players. It seems that there is finally a good alignment between willing players and my own personal desires at the moment. For now, I'm intending to run it as a text-based chat using MapTools.